More football

Lilywhite

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would wish Newcastle luck for tomorrow, but unfortunately I've got 3 Southampton players (including 2 defenders) in my fantasy football team so I'm torn!  Oh well, good luck anyway geordie!

The mighty St Austell are at home this afternoon against Godolphin Atlantic.  In terms of form we're pretty much level pegging, so it's going to be a tough game.

Good wins up here this weekend. Bit chilly and very windy but the U'16's managed a good 3pt 4-2 win and Glendale, without Andy as he went to 16's game, won 2-1.....hoorah, happy all round..

Good stuff Inver!  Not such a good Saturday for us though I'm afraid.  90 minutes of trying to play in a howling gale and torrential rain resulted in a 2-1 defeat against our bogey team.  That's what winter football is all about! :snowsign:

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully footie up and running after the Christmas break....Andy having to take the U'16's team though so won't be playing...they did have a game Saturday after Christmas and again....another loss.

As most grounds down here are underwater we've been suffering from football withdrawal since 14th December!  It doesn't look too great for this weekend either - I think it's going to be a busy April!

Bad luck Inver.  We had torrential rain throughout last week and the huge storms are back again today, but incredibly yesterday we saw blue skies and sunshine.  We grabbed our chance and played Liskeard Athletic, beating them 8-0 for our biggest ever win in this league!  Five goals from our star striker and three more from another.  We even managed to bring on our 45 year old reserve goalkeeper as a centre forward!  He was completely useless, but gave us all a good laugh when his first touch involved stepping on the ball and falling flat on his back.

There was method in our madness though - next week we have a cup game and to be eligible a player has to have made at least one first team appearance this season.

Hopefully we won't need him, but it's nice to have a safety net.  He actually had a fantastic chance to score on Saturday 8 yards from goal with only the keeper to beat.  Unfortunately he didn't seem sure what to do, so he passed to one of our surprised forwards who put the ball 6 feet over the bar!

Rubbish weather here today...I opted out but hubby went to see Andy and Glendale....beaten 1-0 by league leaders....should have been a draw apparently....sitting 3rd bottom, not having a great season.

Well after a very soggy wet week up here, Andy predicted that both games would be off....wrong, both games were on! He had to opt out of playing though and went to U'16's, new coach is still needing a wee bit of guidance. U'16's beaten 4-0 though and maybe just as well he wasn't playing for Glendale...thumped 6-1... (ouchy). Sitting 3rd bottom in the league...having a rubbish season and possibly going down!

Ah well there is always next week.

How many teams go down in that league Inver?

Today was one of those rare days when a football match took place down here!  Unfortunately we lost 2-1 and collected out first red card of the season.  On a positive note the draw for the Cup Quarter Finals paired us with the minnows and rank outsiders of St Day.  We haven't actually played the 3rd round game yet though (it's been postponed twice), so I'm not counting my chickens!

I think it might be 2 go down. He is almost at the point of saying it might be better if they go down and then build up their team again. Been too many disruptions with players injured and players unable to play etc. Apparently the first 35 mins went well, they scored first and then they fell apart...same old story!

Edited by Inver

We were in that position a few years ago and there were calls to accept relegation rather than re-apply to stay in the league, but fortunately we decided to go for re-election.  A year later we finished 3rd and lifted the Senior Cup.  But we did have a bit of money to throw at building a new side.

In my view with a team of youngsters, playing in a lower league could get them back into a winning mentality and build their confidence for their future playing career.

Glendale aren't a bunch of youngsters Sedge....lol. Looks like you maybe thought I was talking about the 16's there :D , they are about mid table so hopefully ok.

It pleases me too emelee!  There are quite a few fair-weather Manchester United fans in Cornwall who are now seeing the light and returning to their local clubs!

Things are a bit quiet down here at the moment though - we've just had our 6th postponement of the year and tomorrow's cup match doesn't look great either. :intherain:

Edited by Sedge