Favourite memories?

Michelle

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) My strongest memory of childhood reading is one of staying up 'till nearly midnight reading "The Railway Children" which my brother had just given me about 9pm that evening.

I also remeber him giving me a hardback copy of Enid Blyton's "Hollow Tree House" which I lived, slept and dreamt for weeks.

Another time he took me to the library and I got a book about a blue cat. All my life I have wanted to own a bright blue cat like the one in the book..

:roll:

I liked Rupert Bear, but he was spoilt for me as I had a nightmare when I was about 7 or 8 about the spikey little elf men who lived in the pine wood. I can't remember what they were called, but I still have an image in my head. (You can probably help me out here, Liz?) I was terrified, and it was years later when I picked Rupert up again. :smile2:

PP :lol:

• 2 months later...

Oooh couldn't resist this thread.

Absolutely loved Enid Blyton - Secret Seven, Famous Five and Mallory Towers. Also had a book by her called Land of Far Beyond - don't know if anyone remembers that.

Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by Robert O'Brien and The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken were read to us in class (4th year junior school) at the end of the day. Absolute bliss!

The Ghost of Thomas Kemp by Penelope Lively

The Little House on the Prairie series - read every single one - thought they were wonderful - real feel good books.

A Dog So Small by Philippa Pearce

Finn Family Moomintroll books

Sure there are many others - I've still got all those mentioned above and treasure them.

... Mallory Towers.

I loved those when I was a kid - i still have them since my Dad got everything out of his loft to move house. i've got them all on my "for sale" list - LOL!

The Little House on the Prairie series - read every single one - thought they were wonderful - real feel good books.

And these too!

Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by Robert O'Brien
I vividy remember reading and adoring this - it's so dark! If I remember correctly, I also once saw an animated film of it, but I could be wrong...

A Dog So Small by Philippa Pearce
This was read by Dame Judy Dench on Jackanory once (many years before she was made a Dame). I saw it on a programme about this well-loved kids' show...

Finn Family Moomintroll books
I never read these books, but I loved the original TV programme. It was kind of creepy, but in a sweet way. I hated it when they revamped it a few years back - it was all brightly coloured and, somehow, wrong. Bring back the original Moomins, I say!

Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by Robert O'Brien
I vividy remember reading and adoring this - it's so dark! If I remember correctly, I also once saw an animated film of it, but I could be wrong...

You do remember correctly. The film version was called The Secret Of Nimh, I believe.

I remember reading 'Charlotte's Web' and crying afterwards, then being very protective of spiders, I even kept one in my 'first tree house', it was plastic toy that was a tree house but I loved it..:friends0:

:friends0:

I also remeber him giving me a hardback copy of Enid Blyton's "Hollow Tree House" which I lived, slept and dreamt for weeks.

:D

Oh I loved this book - it really captured my imagination.

I remember reading 'Charlotte's Web' and crying afterwards

I cried too, and also after watching the animated version of it. My youngest has asked me to take her to see the new film and no doubt i will cry at that as well!

I remember reading 'Charlotte's Web' and crying afterwards, then being very protective of spiders, I even kept one in my 'first tree house', it was plastic toy that was a tree house but I loved it..:friends0:

That reminds me of another book that I am man enough to admit it had me fighting back tears when I was younger. Where the Red Fern Grows

• 1 month later...

Paula said

I remember reading 'Charlotte's Web' and crying afterwards, then being very protective of spiders, I even kept one in my 'first tree house', it was plastic toy that was a tree house but I loved it..:)

LOL. I've just got a copy of this. Perhaps I'd better buy some tissues in too?

My memory of children's books is when I was a young lad on my grandparent's farm. I discovered some books in the attic that my grandfather and then my father read -- Tom Swift and Tom Swift Jr.

The first Tom Swift series were written between 1910 and 1940 (Tom Swift and His Motorcycle). The second series, Tom Swift Jr. (1954 - 1971) were more modern, obviously.

I associated Tom Swift with my grandfather's era and Jr. with my dad. So, I enjoyed these books so much even though they were "old and in the past" books - spending long summer days in the attic or on the porch reading through all the adventures.

Posting this memory, I looked it up on wikipedia and learned that they were ghost-written by many authors! Astonishing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Swift

Which, of course, spawned the famous Tom Swifties....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Swifty

Examples include:

"Pass me the shellfish," said Tom crabbily.

"Can I go looking for the Grail again?" Tom requested.

"I unclogged the drain with a vacuum cleaner," Tom said succinctly.

"I might as well be dead," Tom croaked.

"They had to amputate them both at the ankles," Tom said defeatedly.

• 3 months later...

I'd say the books I read most as a young kid - when I was about five to six was probably Edind Blyton, I grew up on the Magical Faraway Tree and Mr Pinkwhistle.

I also read Roald Dahl a little after that and then Brian Jaques Redwall series. Swallows and Amazon was also a childhood favourite, I'd love to read those again but I'm afraid I won't enjoy them so much or in the same way.

I can't really get into Redwall anymore, which is a shame whereas I adored them as a kid. I think I discovered Martin the Warrior when I was about ten. It was winter and I'd just come out of the dentist. I remember it was winter because it was dark and cold outside. And of course I dragged dad down the bookshop and I found this book with a colourful picture of a mouse on it and that attracted me to begin with. It looked good so Dad bought it for me. I read all of Redwall up to Lord Brocktree. I think that's when I realised I'd grown out of them... which is sad.

I haven't grown out of Diana Wynne Jones yet though. :)

I remember reading The Sterile Cuckoo by John Nichols when I was about twelve years old.

I was in El Salvador where my father was doing some work - it was one of those "self aware" moments so rare for kids. I was suddenly conscious of myself in this strange house (with a pet parrot!), blue skies and an interesting book to read, almost like a camera was aimed at me I could see myself.

• 4 months later...
Which, of course, spawned the famous Tom Swifties....

Examples include:

"Pass me the shellfish," said Tom crabbily.

"Can I go looking for the Grail again?" Tom requested.

"I unclogged the drain with a vacuum cleaner," Tom said succinctly.

"I might as well be dead," Tom croaked.

"They had to amputate them both at the ankles," Tom said defeatedly.

Those are clever - I heard of them on fun-with-words.com a long time ago but forgot them all. Fun-with-words' anagram page is pretty interesting! I have to check those out for my nine-year-old nephew and me to read!

I remember my Godparents giving me a fantastic book that had everything in it. There was Shakespeare, fairy tales, greek myths and legends as well as classic children's stories. It was a real hotchpotch and I can't remember the title but it was the best book I ever read as a child.