Favourite memories?

Michelle

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember reading The Baby-sitter's Club and Amelia Bedelia. I also remember reading the Goldbug books with my little brother, and some old children's etiquette books and some books about human sexuality. There was a picture of a sperm in a top hat and my little brother used to draw him. :jump:

I used to read under the covers with my torch too, until I got caught and got into a lot of trouble :jump:

I have memories of my Mum standing in the hallway between my brother's room and mine, and reading Roald Dahl poetry out to us when we were in bed. She was very good at it :lol:

Guest fireball

Am I the only one on here who remembers Malcolm Saville.?

Wonderful writer (1901 - 1982)

check these out. : http://www.witchend.com/

http://www.btinternet.com/~ajarvis/saville.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Saville

http://www3.shropshire-cc.gov.uk/saville.htm

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/malcolm-saville/

Thing about his characters they progressed in each book and so at every stage of your growth you could still identify with them.

You WANT mystery? you got it, you WANT adventure? you want to go to different parts of England with them? you got it, you WANT history ALSO, you got it.:jump:

And does David once and for all finally fall for 'Peter' Petronella

Sterling.? Yehh God help us,! there is romance, still we've got the twins and not for getting Macbeth, now how'd the dog get his name again.?!

I was shamed and mortified to read not ONE fellow brit mentioned him.

You girls really had a deprived child hood.

My childhood was so free and happy. Although born in 1935 and being a child during the war (I was 10 when it ended). When sweets came off ration, I didnt know what to have there was so much. I didnt know what a banana was!! Imagine that eh? Most of all I remember cycling everywhere, to school, or during the holidays miles and miles all around where I lived. I was such a free spirit. Despite historians recording that the 40s and 50s were times of austerity, I just remember being happy, never felt deprived, it truly was a wonderful time.

Like Supergran I had a happy childhood. I was a child of the 70's and looking back it was like the sun was always shining and everything was so colourful because of the bright fashions of the time. We loved going on our bikes - on the edge of the green belt we had loads of country lanes to explore.

Am I the only one on here who remembers Malcolm Saville.?

I was shamed and mortified to read not ONE fellow brit mentioned him.

You girls really had a deprived child hood.

You felt shamed that we hadn't read them. Good grief - overreaction or what?! :jump:

For your information, I don't feel my childhood was deprived - quite the opposite actually.

Guest fireball

Janet,

overreaction or what?!
not really I was just saddened that no-one even mentioned, and now even read the man.

He was truly brilliant, and he'd enhance your childhood greatly if you had. I at least remember him, and I'm grateful for the action and adventure and yes romance. He brought his books alive; I can still remember when Tom lost his memory, and the effect it had not only his girlfriend but also how it effected the rest of the Lone Pine.

Or how about the German that "peter" (Petronella) had fallen for at the crucial stage of the on going romance with David, who's nose was very much knocked out of joint I tell you.

Sorry you think the way you do, the way Mr. Saville wrote you did care how they behaved, not only to each other but to others too. David was, of sorts dragging his feet and sort of taking her for granted, and "Peter" wasn't having it. How REAL can THAT be.!?

Years ahead of Potter, and just as good.:jump:

Sorry you think the way you do,

I didn't say I wouldn't have liked them.

I just feel rather insulted that a) you are shamed by anyone that hasn't read them and :jump: you think my childhood is lacking due to not having read them. I had a fantastic childhood thank you very much.

Good Afterrnoon All

I have not heard of this author Malcolm Saville and I had a good childhood. My mun took me to the library aand bought me books but my favorite author was Enid Blyton I especially loved her Famous 5 books.

Just because someone has not heard or read an author does not mean that they are deprived in anyway whatsoever.

Although I have added my tupance worth to this thread my greatest fear is that it is going to get out of control annd eveyone will be angry with each other. I have seen it happen before and it is not a pretty sight.

My advice is toi forget the suject and go on to some thing new.

Heather

In a similar vein, I loved going to 'The Little Shop' in our village and spending my savings on their books. They stocked a set with a different coloured dragon on the back - colour coded for age (I wonder what they were called* - I'd forgotten all about them until I started posting!).

It was there I got my copy of The Land of Far Beyond my Enid Blyton. It was an interpretation of A Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan (although I didn't know that at the time) and I used to often re-read that book!

ETA: *Rather predictably they were called Dragon Books!

• 1 year later...

I will always remember that on the night that my baby brother was born I read the Twits by Roald Dahl to my sister all night long! We were laughing all night and 10mins after we finished at 9:21pm my baby brother Alfie was born! That memory will stay with me always! :)

I remember going into La Libreria dei Ragazzi = The Kid's Bookshoop (this wondrous place where the booksellers had read every book on the shelves, remembered your previous aquisitions dating back five years, based on which they would recommend the new titles most suited to your developing reading taste) as a fledgling Beatles fan (11ish) and finding a spectacular little book, originally Spanish, called "The Murder of Sargent Pepper", about a serial killer whose modus operandi was all Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band related. I am proud to report that though I'm usually rubbish at whodunnits, my Beatle wisdom was so vast I actually did work out who had done it. Brilliant novel, probably the one and only crime novel I have ever thoroughly enjoyed.

Another location for my early bookbuying was (and still is) an alleyway in Bridgenorth, Midlands - where my nan lives - lined with shelves chocker with second-hand books on both sides. The proprietor (Mr. Bookman, we call him) could be relied upon, given a title and a bit of time, to find any elusive volume one might be after. He furnished me with many a Goosebump and Stephen King (much to mum's disapproval) as well as, and for this I am ever thankful, introducing me to Douglas Adams. I bought "Hitch Hiker's", read it in an afternoon, and rushed back the morning after to snatch books two till four (five not having been published yet) before anyone else did. I don't remember any other book ever making me laugh quite that hard.

THat sounds like a great book, BJ - I would LOVE to read that! I've just done a quick search, though, and been completely unable to find it anywhere. :)

THat sounds like a great book, BJ - I would LOVE to read that! I've just done a quick search, though, and been completely unable to find it anywhere.

Just did a quick search and as far as I could discern it has never actually been translated into English... the crime! Alas my Spanish is very basic or I could improv a translation but translating a translated text is just sinful so... badger. Author's name is Jordi Sierra I Fabra by the way, he's dabbled in both Beatle biography and children's fiction (nominated for the Hans Christian Andersen award at one point), but that's about as much as I could discern... sorry :).

I just remember i always happily found a corner on the sofa or in my den under my bed (:D) and sitting reading for hours on end, whether it be an Enid Blyton or anything i could get my hands on, i've always loved finding that sanctuary which only reading can get you to :)

i've always loved finding that sanctuary which only reading can get you to

You just triggered a memory...!

When I was little I made my own sanctuary out of two cardboard crates brown-taped one on top of the other, with three sides of the door cut off (fourth side = hinge); I completed the work with a huge padlock for the door to make it impenetrable to anyone but me.

I used to retreat there to read and write in complete secrecy. It was almost impossible to see in it (no windows, and I always padlocked myself from the inside) but then, that's what torches are for :)...

I remember a favourite tree in a park near our home. It was in a little clearing that couldn't be seen from the path. I would happily stay there for hours reading.

'The Chronicles of Narnia' always make me think of Faversham in Kent, where I read most of the series for the first time.

I had so many favourite books that I would read and re read, and try my damndest to disappear into.

I remember my auld Da coming home from the hospital to tell us we had a new baby brother and my sister and I said, 'we wanted a sister' :)

I still thank my mom to this day that she took us kids to the local library so much while I was growing up. Aside from the usual 'I need a new book' trips, we also went weekly to Story Time. I still have my name tag saved with a lil panda bear and my name on it :).

I still have my name tag saved with a lil panda bear and my name on it

Aw, cute :)!

I still thank my mom to this day that she took us kids to the local library so much while I was growing up.

An echoed sentiment. I cannot thank my mum enough for reading to me always, even when I was technically too old to be read to; the practice transferred to me a love for stories which kept me company through an otherwise lonely childhood.

I honestly have very few memories of reading during childhood. I know I used to devour the usual Enid Blyton fare, and that a book was always a treat for being good, such as going to the doctor or dentist without grizzling, or spending a whole day shopping for furniture or some such tedious day out. I think nearly all my pocket money was spent on books until I was well into my teens. In fact, the only reason I know which books I read as a child is because they've all moved with me and I still have a couple of shelves full of them. Anything borrowed from the library (4 books every two weeks) is forgotten.

I don't remember my parents reading to me, and for the most part, I think they read very little in comparison to me, and most of my reading habits came from school. My school continued "storytime" reading sessions (the last 15 minutes of the day) up until we were 9, and all my teachers were excellent at reading aloud. After the age of 9 and until we went to the comprehensive school, we have a weekly reading time, as well as regular individual discussions with the librarian at school to try and develop the scope and breadth of our reading. But ask me what was read to me, and what books the librarian would have encouraged me to read, and I wouldn't have a clue.