Something I've Learned Today

ned

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anatidaephobia is the fear that somewhere in the world, there is a duck watching you

Is it a suspicious looking duck? :D

Franz Josef Haydn (1732-1809) is often said to be an Austrian composer but, though he was born in Austria, he was in fact 100% German. Haydn was from a poor background: his mother was a cook and his father was a wheelwright.

Carrying on from CaliLily's 'Anatidaephobia'.......

Phobophobia (a fear of having a phobia) must surely rate as the most ironic of phobias! :D

That one is really ironic! There are so many weird phobias out there. One that's term I can't remember is the fear of getting peanutbutter stuck to the roof of your mouth :smile2:

To be honest, some of the fears listed are incredibly rational and reasonable fears to have e.g. Ballistophobia- Fear of missiles or bullets. I guess the phobic aspect is when it dictates how you live rather than is a general if you were to encounter them fear.

I learned today that there are good people that will go above and beyond, and that mean spirited people just can't help being nasty.

An elderly neighbour wasn't answering her door or 'phone. By the time the police and ambulance arrived there was 5 of us waiting to help out because we were so worried (milk on doorstep, curtains closed etc). :smile2:

The woman's neighbour, depite having heard all our attempts to access the flat etc. told us, just as the Police arrived to gain entry, that an ambulance had turned up in the night and taken her away. Apparently he doesn't like her, and saw no reason to tell us sooner! :D

:lurker::lol::yahoo: This has totally tickled me! A duck!!!!! :exc:

Never underestimate ducks. They are quite sneakier than one would like to imagine!

I wish I knew there was such thing as Didaskaleinophobia a few years ago, just using the word might be enough to pretend!

Dang, that one would have come in handy!

Edited by CaliLily

Martin Luther (1483-1546), the man who started the Protestant Reformation, was the son of a miner. He was a law student at Erfurt University in July 1505 when he was struck by lightning and thrown to the ground. Seeing this as a sign from God, he vowed on the spot to become a monk, which he did two weeks later.