Five facts...

Michelle

Morals? I'm having a late night and I almost let the dirty old man grope you! :D

Almost, but didn't. See? You do have morals. ;)

I think you could probably figure out a way to have a hidden library with natural light, Kylie. Skylights perhaps? I always imagine them with two stories and tall sliding ladder :smile2:.

:D Doh! I can't believe I didn't think of that. I'm having a shocker today. Oh, absolutely - a tall sliding ladder is a must!

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 more from me ~

1. I am very accident prone, I broke three bones in my foot, twisted my knee cap, broke my nose, shattered my elbow, sprained ankles, twisted ankles, all by falling!:D:blush:

2. I am hen~toed (hence the above accidents)

3. It amazes me that some people seem to think my name is short for 'Pauline', nope, its just Paula ;)

4. Following on with my name, when I was at primary school, my teacher called me 'Pamela' and I was too nervous to correct her!, so I answered her, it was not until my parents met her at parents evening and she kept calling me Pamela that she found out my name was Paula :smile2:

5. My first job was walking dogs

:D

I never would have guessed that your name was Pauline, Paula! But you never know what goes through people's minds :D. When is the last time you broke a bone, by the way?!

A wee fact about me - I've only broken one bone, my ankle, and that was when I was 5. My brother was giving me a ride on the back of his bike when I decided to stick my foot in the spokes of the rear wheel. Not smart, I know! Plus, it was 1977 and riding a bike barefoot with no helmet on was just the way we did things! :smile2:

Here're 5 more Facts!

1: Every 3rd Sunday of the month, my legs take part in a Samba class completely against the wishes of the rest of my body.

2: The fourth finger on my left hand is called Xerxes Haffenfaff III.

3: My time spent in the Gobi Desert was punctuated by brief stays with the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire.

4: My chest enjoys the film Alien.

5: If I blink very rapidly whilst standing in a queue for the bus, I can make people move further away from me.

Hmmm? What's that? Oh. Okay. :D

5. I've learnt most of my vocabulary from TV, not from school. I can never diss The Bold and the Beautiful too much because that series has tought me so much languagewise!

I have an internet friend from Sweden who learnt her English by watching US Soaps - I've never met her but I know someone who has, and apparently she doesn't sound Swedish at all to other Europeans or to Australians (where she did her degree) who always assume she's American!

1: Every 3rd Sunday of the month, my legs take part in a Samba class completely against the wishes of the rest of my body.

:smile2: You make me laugh, Mac. I like especially like number 1!

4. Following on with my name, when I was at primary school, my teacher called me 'Pamela' and I was too nervous to correct her!, so I answered her, it was not until my parents met her at parents evening and she kept calling me Pamela that she found out my name was Paula :D

Five more from me (with number 1 based on Pamela's Paula's post above:

1. My next-door-neighbour called me Janice for the first 4 years we lived next to each other - I was too embarrassed to correct her so I tried writing it really legibly in my Christmas card to her hoping she'd notice. Eventually I plucked up the courage to tell her!

2. If I could retire anywhere in the world abroad it would be to Pathos in Cyprus. But I'd keep a home in Somerset because I love it here. :D

3. If I had to move away from Somerset I would like to move to either Yorkshire or Cumbria.

4. I don't consider myself OCD but I do have one ritual I follow. When I have to get up for work at 5am (three times a week), I set my alarms (2) when I get into bed and then I read for a while. But then I have to switch my alarms back off and on again - if I don't do that then I can't sleep until I eventually do.

5. I have a hard-backed book that I write down all the Christmas gifts I buy. I've been keeping it since 1977 so it is its 32nd year of usage. ;) It's one thing I'd rescue from a fire, after my family and my PC and photo albums!

1) I was apparently going to be called Sarah or Claire, but M & D settled on Christine.

I am however also called Christobel & Wissy (as in Chrissy-Wissy).

2) I knew my hubby was the one for me when I discovered that like me, he'd love to own a lighthouse!

3) I have always been fascinated by hands and pictures of them, ever since I fell in love with Albrecht Durer's 'Hands'.

4) I love to dance, and just don't care how I look when I'm doing it. This is probably just as well.

5) I loathe bullies and manipulators, those who play nasty mind games and those who hurt and offend just for the hell of it (I throw racists among others into that pot). Behind people like this you will always find insecure mealy mouthed cowards who lack any self awareness and have an over inflated sense of their place in the universe.

4. I don't consider myself OCD but I do have one ritual I follow. When I have to get up for work at 5am (three times a week), I set my alarms (2) when I get into bed and then I read for a while. But then I have to switch my alarms back off and on again - if I don't do that then I can't sleep until I eventually do.

I do a similar sort of thing with my alarm. Even though it is permanently set (I don't have to reset it each night), I switch the radio on each night before I go to bed and then turn it off. I guess it's to make sure the radio will be loud enough to wake me, but I never touch the volume so it would never be a problem!

5. I have a hard-backed book that I write down all the Christmas gifts I buy. I've been keeping it since 1977 so it is its 32nd year of usage. :smile2: It's one thing I'd rescue from a fire, after my family and my PC and photo albums!

Wow, I couldn't keep a book like that. I buy people such lame presents I'd be ashamed to keep a record of it. :D

Let's see....five more about moi....

1. I only have a few nicknames, but they're all very embarrassing. My dad calls me Pooper (I have no idea why), my boyfriend calls me Booby (because of my gigantic bosoms), and my mom used to call me Skookumchuck (it's some kind of Native American name that somehow got attached to me). Now my mom calls me Sarah-Sarah....get it? It's an "echo" of my first name. :D

2. Almost every member of my immediate and extended family has a mental illness.

3. I have no male cousins, and all are older than me, some by more than 10 years.

4. My childhood cat, Sox, was once taken away by an owl. We thought she was dead, but then she showed up on our front porch three months later. She only lived about six months after that, but we were ecstatic to have her back!

5. I have a very unhealthy family. My entire immediate family is overweight, and there is a history of diabetes, heart disease, cancer, mental illness, and other chronic conditions on both sides of my family. My mom has liver disease, diabetes, and bipolar disorder, and my dad has survived prostate cancer, and has high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes. Filling out medical history forms is a long, depressing process. :smile2:

5. I have a hard-backed book that I write down all the Christmas gifts I buy. I've been keeping it since 1977 so it is its 32nd year of usage. :D It's one thing I'd rescue from a fire, after my family and my PC and photo albums!

Strangely, this is something I planned to start doing this year - LOL!

Another 5 about me:

1. I'm very bendy - if I wanted to I could easily suck my own toes (not that I want to, but I could!). I can bend over backwards and grab my own ankles, and easily touch my toes with my legs straight and together - in fact, I can put my hands flat on the ground and bend my arms a little!

2. After almost 14 months of breast feeding, I quit this week. I'm kind of going to miss those close moments with Xander, but the time is right for both of us now so my boobs are now my own once more!

3. I'm slightly infatuated ith Eddie Izzard. I thin kit's mostly because he makes me augh so hard I almost pee my pants, but I think he's kind of gorgeous too. Perhaps it's his humour shining through, but I totally dig him!

4. I had a lump (don't worry - it was just a fatty lump - everyone in my family seems to get them - ick!) removed from my back last week that was the size of a

That's a good idea, particularly now that you have Xander. Sometimes I try to remember what presents I received when I was little, but I can't really remember. It would have been great if Mum had kept a list!

Another 5 about me:

1. I'm very bendy - if I wanted to I could easily suck my own toes (not that I want to, but I could!).

It's so weird that you wrote that. Putting my toe in my mouth was a little party trick of mine when I was a kid (sad, I know; I've never been very talented!). About 20 minutes ago I was inspecting the bottom of my foot and couldn't resist trying to put my toe in my mouth. To my horror I couldn't even get close! The last time I tried (probably a year or two ago) I could just get it, but practically broke a leg trying to do it. I'm a little older and wiser now, so I didn't try very hard. :smile2: I'm considering trying this little exercise on a more regular basis so I can try and become more flexible. :D

LOL - I only just recently tested that I could still do all my bendy tricks - while I was pregnant, my expanding belly mande it all impossible and then afterwards it was very clear I wouldn't be able to bend around all the extra baby weight. :D

I have an internet friend from Sweden who learnt her English by watching US Soaps - I've never met her but I know someone who has, and apparently she doesn't sound Swedish at all to other Europeans or to Australians (where she did her degree) who always assume she's American!

I'm not at all surprised by that. Finnish TV (and I expect the Swedish TV as well) is just full of US and UK TV-series and it would be hard not to pick up the language. Even my father who's never learnt English in school sometimes picks up certain words or phrases and then keeps repeating them. It's so funny when he sometimes keeps going "Oh my God! Oh my God!" in English :D

I have quite a few friends who speak English fluently and could fool people to think they're native English speakers. However, watching English TV doesn't automatically make one great in pronunciation, I know people who have otherwise great skills in English but their pronunciation gives them away.

1. Everyone back home calls me Kel rather than Kelly, and other than teachers at school, no one had ever called me Kelly until I met my boyfriend and his family, they all always call me Kelly, which was a bit weird and hard to get used to at first.

2. Going with the nickname theme, some of my boyfriends favourites are 'Chumpy' (meant in an affectionate way :D still I do hate it), 'Giggleberry' (once I start it's so hard to stop) and his most recent favourite is 'Smithins' (my surname is Smith). Yes I know he's a curious boy bless him. Other than that the only nicknames I have are Kelliwell, which my gran calls me, and Kellolio, which my best friend started calling me when we were about 15 lol.

3. When I was 17, I developed a disease of the bladder called Interstitial Cystitis, and it has completely changed my life. Still, at least I have an amazing knowledge of public toilets!

4. After a rather crappy family situation with my mum/step dad, I was raised by my grandparents from the age of 11. Sadly my gramps passed away, but I'm incredibly close to my gran, and consider her to be my surrogate mum, and she treats me like a daughter.

5. I love the lead up to christmas, the atmosphere and people's excitement, much more than the actual day itself, which I find to be pretty boring. I also much prefer xmas the way my family does it, and have struggled with spending xmas here with BF's family for the past 4 years.

I never would have guessed that your name was Pauline, Paula! But you never know what goes through people's minds :D. When is the last time you broke a bone, by the way?!

A wee fact about me - I've only broken one bone, my ankle, and that was when I was 5. My brother was giving me a ride on the back of his bike when I decided to stick my foot in the spokes of the rear wheel. Not smart, I know! Plus, it was 1977 and riding a bike barefoot with no helmet on was just the way we did things! ;)

Ouch peacefield! :D

I don't understand why either, they just seem to think its Pauline :) and in answer to your question, the last bone(s) I broke was in 2000, I called in sick with a stomach bug, went to the doctors, came out of the doctors, fell and shattered my elbow! ;)

Wow, I couldn't keep a book like that. I buy people such lame presents I'd be ashamed to keep a record of it. :D

I really recommend it - it's great fun (and funny! ;) ) looking back over it, and I can remember a surprising amount about some of the items I bought. ;)

My first Entry:

1977 (I was 11)

Family

Mummy - Dairy Box - 79p (really!)

Daddy - Mug - 85p (long gone, but I remember saving up for this from our local hardware shop!)

Grandad - Hankies - 60p (my Mum paid for this and other relations' presents - I paid for my parents and my friends' stuff!)

Granny - Hand cream - approx 55p (I don't know why approx!)

Grandad - Walnut whips - 29p

Auntie Jean Necklace -

Edited by Janet

But I have to say that in my wildest dreams, my most dreamiest ways of spending the two months would be in Charm's backyard, living in a tent, taking care of their dog Piper It's an English speaking country, Charm's an excellent person to be around with and Piper's cool *giggle giggle*

Awww.. I'm filling up here! That is so sweet! I would gladly have you to stay:friends0: As for Piper, well she is so close to being given up for adoption it's unreal! I swear if she rolls in cow poop once more I'm gonna just let her live with the blooming things! I mean what the hell? It never ceases to amaze me why on earth she would even think of rolling in something so vile. My OH says she's trying to disguise herself as one of them so she can blend in, that would explain why she eats grass when they come over to the fence I suppose.

3. I lost my great grandfather when I was eight. Until he died, I used to go down to his house all the time, I used to pick up his paper and chocolate bar on a Sunday and he was the most wonderful person I knew. I don't remember anything about him, and am gutted that I never really had the chance to know him adult-to-adult.

I would so love to sit down and have a chat (and a hug) with my great grandfather, or even my grandfather, both died before I was born.

No you never told me!!! Hm, was that guy attractive? I would stop him if you wouldn't like it but if you did, I'd be sensible enough to let him carry on Oh my I'm laughing out loud!

;) you are soooo bad!

Charm: I love old architecture too, and new stuff too come to think of it. Sometimes I revert to my old school days and sit for hours drafting out plans. My houses always include a library with a hidden staircase behind a bookshelf that you can only get to by pulling out a copy of some volume ..

Oh yes! That would have to be an addition to Bookjumper and mines castle. A friend of ours who also builds houses, added a secret room to a lady's house where the door was hidden behind a bookcase, you had to use one of the volumes to open the door into a beautiful library/study!

Bookjumper! We definately have to have one of these!!

Frankie: But why aren't you coming to the US??!! I think the midwest would be a perfect place for you to hang out in for 2 months! There'd even be people of Finnish ancestry for you talk to I bet . I also don't understand anime either.

Can I come?? :D

Although it's more Boston I want to see and Salem. I've always wanted to visit Boston and my OH and I even contemplated moving there at one stage. I think my desire to see Salem has increased since I've been reading my latest book 'The Book Of Lost Salem'! ... thanks for that one peace! :)

Funny how some things bother us so much. I totally understand this, I cannot settle in the evenings until I have wiped down every square inch of my kitchen work surfaces after dinner, even if someone else does it I have to do it again so it's done right :D

Some more facts ..

1. I used to ride horses but eventually gave up after I was thrown, bitten, trod on and kicked in the head by my horse, resulting in a night in hospital and severe concussion. I decided to take the hint and give up.

2. I used to play the cello and once appeared on telly in the local orchestral competition.

3. I can touch my nose with my top lip. (So funny watching people try this ;))

Awww.. I'm filling up here! That is so sweet! I would gladly have you to stay:friends0: As for Piper, well she is so close to being given up for adoption it's unreal! I swear if she rolls in cow poop once more I'm gonna just let her live with the blooming things! I mean what the hell? It never ceases to amaze me why on earth she would even think of rolling in something so vile. My OH says she's trying to disguise herself as one of them so she can blend in, that would explain why she eats grass when they come over to the fence I suppose.

Oh poor Piper (and poor you for having to give her a bath all the time!)! What's she thinking, doing things like that? It can't be a slip up because it's been too many times to be a coincidence. So actually Charm, what you're saying is that you need me as Piper's little helper! ;) I've seen many Victoria Stilwell's doggy shows so I know something about training dogs but I have to admit there has never been an episode where she's training a dog not to jump around in cow poo. Hmph! I may not be equipped to teach her that. :) But at least it would give you two months of rest from bathing her *giggles*

2. I used to play the cello and once appeared on telly in the local orchestral competition.

Wow I didn't know you've played the cello! Did you win? :D

3. I can touch my nose with my top lip. (So funny watching people try this )

You can what?? That's something I've never seen. O_o I bet it's funny to watch! Although at first I did think you meant touching your nose with your bottom lip. That would be spooky as well.

Five doggy facts:

1. I absolutely love them. As desperately as some people want to have children, I want a dog!

2. I'm allergic to dogs so cannot be having any unless wise science women and men come up with a cure for that allergy.

3. However, there are some breeds that are not as allergizing as the rest, but even in those breeds it varies greatly from one dog to another how they affect an allergic person.

4. It gives me great hope that my friend who's allergic to dogs was able to get a chihuahua and they get along fine and I didn't get any allergic reactions when I was hanging out with that dog! I even slept in the same bed with him (at some point during the night he licked my bottom :D) and I didn't die or even sneeze!

5. If I were able to get a dog it would probably be awful too, because I could never choose from all the amazing breeds! I love them all. Even rotties, which I was scared of before. Charm's rottie stories have enabled me to get rid of that fear ;) (Well okay I would definitely get a labbie.)

Edit: 6. If I could get a labbie, I'd probably name him 'Redmond' or 'Redman', after a very special labbie on this British show about obese dogs who were trying to lose weight with their owners. Then if I could still have another dog, I'd be tempted to name him/her 'Stevie'.

Edited by frankie

I would love to be able to sit down with my gr-grandparents as well! Both sets died before I was born, but luckily I spent quite a bit of time with my grandparents before they all passed.

I'm sad that you love dogs but are allergic, Frankie! That must be frustrating. I grew up having cats and dogs around and it would be odd for me not to have them.

Come visit, Charm! And hopefully by the time you arrive I'll be living in New England, LOL. I would love to live in/near Boston as well and Salem is beautiful. Just visiting Nathaniel Hawthorne's 'House of Seven Gables' is amazingness :D.

My nickname growing up was Mush. Only my 4 sibs called me that and they are all demented! ;) So what if I was a wee chubby kid? That and my name is Marcia so instead of saying 'Marsh' it turned into Mush. Oh and yeah, my name is pronounced 'Marsha' but I spell it the right way. Admit it, how many of you who knew my name were pronouncing it 'Mar-see-uh' in your head? ;)

This is not a fact about me, but instead about a crazy driver I saw on the highway this morning. It was 28f degrees out (below freezing) and he was driving a VW convertible with the TOP DOWN! I about honked at him :D. It was a new car too so I doubt that the folding mechanism wasn't working...

Come visit, Charm! And hopefully by the time you arrive I'll be living in New England, LOL. I would love to live in/near Boston as well and Salem is beautiful. Just visiting Nathaniel Hawthorne's 'House of Seven Gables' is amazingness :D.

Can I come too?? We need to start saving money to visit all the people on here and their local scenes!

My nickname growing up was Mush. Only my 4 sibs called me that and they are all demented! ;) So what if I was a wee chubby kid? That and my name is Marcia so instead of saying 'Marsh' it turned into Mush. Oh and yeah, my name is pronounced 'Marsha' but I spell it the right way. Admit it, how many of you who knew my name were pronouncing it 'Mar-see-uh' in your head? :)

To me you've always been Marcia as in 'Marsha', it's never even occurred to me that it could pronounced in a different way.

This is not a fact about me, but instead about a crazy driver I saw on the highway this morning. It was 28f degrees out (below freezing) and he was driving a VW convertible with the TOP DOWN! I about honked at him :D. It was a new car too so I doubt that the folding mechanism wasn't working...

;) Did you yell 'BRAINFREEZE!' and throw icecream at him as well?

4. My childhood cat, Sox, was once taken away by an owl. We thought she was dead, but then she showed up on our front porch three months later. She only lived about six months after that, but we were ecstatic to have her back!

Wow - that is some story! If only cats could talk! :D I bet she'd have had a right old tale to tell there.

5. I have a pet rabbit called Bryson. He is named after the writer Bill Bryson.
Respect.

@ Charm, you don't have to sell me the secret-passage-to-the-library masterplan, it's already sold :D!

Five hyper-quick ones from me (can you tell work is boring me??):

1. I have flat feet, as well as one leg which is significantly longer than the other. I was given in-soles to deal with all this when I was little but I refused to wear them as they hurt; I'm now paying the consequences of my youthful silliness.

2. Both my grandfathers were Polish, making this Italo-Brit more of a Pole than anything else. Though I don't speak the language, I am proud of my heritage and (being the last of my line) determined to see my unpronounceable surname - see sig. - in print.

3. I'm a complete carnivore. I will make myself eat veg even though I don't like it because I've come to my senses growing up; the only kind I can't stomach even the distant smell of is the cabbage family (cauliflower, brussel sprouts, you name it, I won't eat it).

4. I've been a Beatles fan since I was 11, and chose to go to Liverpool University to "breathe the same air as John Lennon".

5. My hair and nails grow stupidly, annoyingly fast.

Wow I didn't know you've played the cello! Did you win? .

Do you know, I can't remember! I mustn't have or I think I would remember that :D

You can what?? That's something I've never seen. O_o I bet it's funny to watch! Although at first I did think you meant touching your nose with your bottom lip. That would be spooky as well. .

It's funny to watch others trying it! My daughter can touch her nose with her tongue, you should see me trying that one! ;)

Such a shame you're so allergic to dogs :D Have you been around poodles? I don't think they cast so maybe you wouldn't be quite as allergic with them?

Admit it, how many of you who knew my name were pronouncing it 'Mar-see-uh' in your head?

If I could afford it I'd be over like a shot!

I did imagine your name like that too! :)

5. My hair and nails grow stupidly, annoyingly fast.

Mine too, I just had to trim my nails again today so I can type! ;)

Edited by Charm