Frankie Reads 2010

frankie

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh, frankie! You're going to have to charter a whole plane to get your books back to Finland! Excellent haul so far

I know!! I went to the book fair thinking, I really have to restrain myself, and also hoping that there wouldn't be those kinds of books that I really like to read but I was wrong! I'm particularly surprised about how many Jeffery Deavers I could find. Mind you, I originally had a lot more books to buy but I went through a really hardcore eliminating process and had to give up like 50 books. But I still managed to buy like 50 books or so!! :blush:

Wow, Frankie my dear, look at all those books you've already amassed and you haven't even posted your book fair purchases yet! Big thumbs up to you - I approve!

Psssttt Mac. You left your, um, 'ensemble' in the Coffee House break room!

Did I miss something?? You stay away from the Coffee House for one quick second and you're totally in the dark of all the great happenings. :irked::D

How are you going to get these babies home?

A great selection, I'd did a number of variations of "Ooooo, that looks like a good one!" as I read your list.

Well, first off I'm going to read a lot of those book while I'm here. I already started and finished The Sweetheart Season and Freaky Friday, and can now happily pass the Freaky Friday, which is a Rory Gilmore book, to Kylie. Did you know, when Kylie and I both added up our book fair books to the list of our bought/received book this year, we both ended up at 254 books? That was so funny!! Until Kylie realised she'd forgotten to add her pottery book on the list. And then she got a Roald Dahl book in the mail on Wednesday. And then I gave her the Freaky Friday book. Now she's ahead of me by 3 books and I don't think she's liking it too much :giggle2:

Second, if my bags are too heavy I'm going to leave some of the books behind, like Frankenstein which I've already read but bought because I wanted it in my collection. And some others.

Third, Kylie and I are already looking into the expenses of shipping a box full of books to Finland :giggle: It would take 3 months for the books to arrive but I'm staying here for 2 months so I'd only be home for a month til they would already arrive. I'm also thinking I just have to pay for the excess kilos on my luggage, the weight limit is 20 kilos and I think I can pack 10 more kilos and pay for them, anything over 30 kilos and they'll refuse to take the lungage on board.

That's a lorra lorra books. I can certainly vouch for The Kelly Gang, one of the best I've read in many a year. Cloudstreet is a good one too.

Kylie was happy to hear your comments on those books, she really loves Cloudstreet as well.

Wow! Frankie, you will definitely need to buy another couple of suitcases! Worth it though - good stuff!

You have some great reads ahead of you and I see you got loads of Deavers! I also spied Lost Souls - Poppy Brite, I just ordered that on Saturday, great minds eh?

Haha! See, I knew something like this might come up and that's why I bought the biggest suitcase I could find at the stores while I was in Finland :wink: I might have to leave some clothes behind though :giggle: I was really happy to find so many Deavers, I think my Lincoln Rhyme collection should be nearly perfect now! You're right about the great minds of course :lol: I think Univerze mentioned Poppy Z. Brite in the most disturbing novels thread and after that I've been really keen on finding her novels. I think the novel I was most after was Exquisite Corpse but I couldn't find that so happily settled with what I got.

Great haul, Frankie. I'm especially jealous of the Haruki Murakami books

Thanks Lucy. Believe you me, I was really surprised at how many Murakamis I managed to find. I know a lot of people were after them I think, and so was Kylie. I have no idea how I managed to find 6!

Now she's ahead of me by 3 books and I don't think she's liking it too much :giggle2:

You're darn right I'm not happy about it! :irked::wink: Just you wait till I get you to the secondhand bookshops this weekend. I'm going to show lots of restraint while at the same time egging you on to buy more books. :giggle:

Thanks Lucy. Believe you me, I was really surprised at how many Murakamis I managed to find. I know a lot of people were after them I think, and so was Kylie. I have no idea how I managed to find 6!

I have no idea how you managed it either! I was clearly in the wrong place at the wrong time. No worries. I'm happy with my own Murakamis (except the double I accidentally bought :rolleyes: )

I wonder how that will go, because I was planning on the same thing: restraining myself and egging you on :D I just have to find all the Murakami novels they have and show them to you. That should do it!

Maybe I can make you even happier by reminding you that you got the Kafka on the Shore, the novel which you already managed to forget you'd bought :lol:

I wonder how that will go, because I was planning on the same thing: restraining myself and egging you on :D I just have to find all the Murakami novels they have and show them to you. That should do it!

Maybe I can make you even happier by reminding you that you got the Kafka on the Shore, the novel which you already managed to forget you'd bought :lol:

:blush: Ah, Kafka. Surely I won't forget again? I better update my book lists and take them with me on the weekend.

That's so easy to do though isn't it?, twice now I've bought books home from the library and rushed to read them in order to get them back on time, and then found that they are already in a box under the desk with a lot of charity shop buys. I need to be more organized with lists and things, I am good at memorising which books I'm on the lookout for but rubbish at remembering what I've already got stashed away in the TBR boxes.

I love your list of book fair books Frankie, so many on there that I want/need to read. I see you are embarking on Proust? .... that should keep you busy until the next millennium.

I've just been reading your 'Frankie goes to Australia' thread and see you've been staying with Kylie. How exciting and lovely for you both. For a start you know that you can both talk the hind leg off a donkey about books and neither of you will be bored .. bliss. Have a great time at the bookshops :readingtwo:

That's so easy to do though isn't it?, twice now I've bought books home from the library and rushed to read them in order to get them back on time, and then found that they are already in a box under the desk with a lot of charity shop buys. I need to be more organized with lists and things, I am good at memorising which books I'm on the lookout for but rubbish at remembering what I've already got stashed away in the TBR boxes.

It is indeed very easy, I cannot blame Kylie or anyone for doing it because I do it sometimes, too :blush: I think it's easier to remember the books on your wishlist because one spends more time on trying to memorize them than the books one has already bought. I keep a list of books I've bought (if they're part of a series I'm collecting) and that list goes with me wherever I go because I keep it in my wallet, so usually I manage to stay out of trouble. Which reminds me, I should update that list... :giggle:

I love your list of book fair books Frankie, so many on there that I want/need to read. I see you are embarking on Proust? .... that should keep you busy until the next millennium.

Thanks poppyshake, I have to say I'm very pleased myself! I never dreamed that I would find so many excellent novels. I bought the Proust book mostly because it's on the Rory Gilmore list and 1001 Books list, but also because I'm really curious about it. A couple of years ago I read Alain de Botton's (sp?) books on Proust and he sounded like a really intriguing person. I found a couple of biographies on Proust at the bookfair and really wanted to buy them but I was buying too many books as it was so had to give up the bios. Shame. The Swann's Way will definitely keep me busy for a loooong while when I finally get to it, I'm sure :lol:

I've just been reading your 'Frankie goes to Australia' thread and see you've been staying with Kylie. How exciting and lovely for you both. For a start you know that you can both talk the hind leg off a donkey about books and neither of you will be bored .. bliss. Have a great time at the bookshops :readingtwo:

We sometimes talked about visiting each other one day so we could hit the bookshops and watch Gilmore Girls together, but I never dreamed that it would actually happen so soon! If you would have told me two months ago that I would be going to Australia this year I would've asked what stuff you are on and if you could give me some. :giggle:

Okay, confession time. Kylie and I visited a couple of secondhand bookshops last Saturday and I bought a couple of books:

Poppy Z. Brite: Exquisite Corpse

Jeffery Deaver: Manhattan Is My Beat

John Howard Griffin: Black Like Me

Flora Schreiber: Sybil

Exquisite Corpse is mentioned in the most disturbing novel -thread by Univerze, I think, and Black Like Me was recently read by Ruth, if my memory serves me right. She and vodkafan talked about the book in her reading blog. Sybil is in the Rory Gilmore list and I don't think I need to tell you why I bought another Jeffery Deaver :wink:

I've managed to read 4 books while I've been here and I'll try and write a review on each of them at some point.

Wow Frankie

you must be in heaven with all those books and Kylie there too to share all the bookhunting and buying with. Glad you are having a good time.

I think you are going to be shocked at the cost of shipping so many books home though. Might mean reading as many as you can there and facing some very tough choices.... :irked:

Okay, confession time. Kylie and I visited a couple of secondhand bookshops last Saturday and I bought a couple of books:

Poppy Z. Brite: Exquisite Corpse

Jeffery Deaver: Manhattan Is My Beat

John Howard Griffin: Black Like Me

Flora Schreiber: Sybil

Exquisite Corpse is mentioned in the most disturbing novel -thread by Univerze, I think, and Black Like Me was recently read by Ruth, if my memory serves me right. She and vodkafan talked about the book in her reading blog. Sybil is in the Rory Gilmore list and I don't think I need to tell you why I bought another Jeffery Deaver :wink:

I've managed to read 4 books while I've been here and I'll try and write a review on each of them at some point.

Oh you got Exquisite Corpse, nice one! Lost Souls arrived to me on Sat and is definitely next to be read ;) I have Manhattan Is My Beat on my shelves as well, boy we have great taste! :lol:

Wow Frankie

you must be in heaven with all those books and Kylie there too to share all the bookhunting and buying with. Glad you are having a good time.

I think you are going to be shocked at the cost of shipping so many books home though. Might mean reading as many as you can there and facing some very tough choices.... :irked:

Yep, we certainly went a bit mad at the book fair and had lots of fun organising the books and cataloging them afterwards. :giggle: I don't think I'm going to be that shocked by the shipping fees though, I'm fully aware that they are sky high and I'm determined to read as many of the books as I can before I have to go back to Funland. I also packed very lightly and will have c. 10 kilos for books in my suitcase plus I will have my backpack to fill with books. In addition, I'm already prepairing myself to face the fact that I have to leave some of the books behind, unread. It'll be hard but I know they will be happy to either stay here with Kylie and her books, or go to the book fair next year as donations. :)

Oh you got Exquisite Corpse, nice one! Lost Souls arrived to me on Sat and is definitely next to be read ;) I have Manhattan Is My Beat on my shelves as well, boy we have great taste! :lol:

Magnificient taste, I'd say :P I already read the Exquisite Corpse, it's definitely one of the cruelest and disturbing books I've ever read, but it was utterly fascinating. I've never read anything like it before. 4/5! I hope to enjoy the Lost Souls soon, and see if it's as harrowing as EC.

Edit: Almost forgot: After spending the day in Sydney yesterday, I was in desperate need of some comfort book shopping and Kylie was kind enough to oblige me and take me to Basement Books to see what they had in store for me (read: us). The books there are in good condition and they're new, but for some reason they are a lot cheaper there than in a normal bookstore (Kylie would know why, I've forgotten :blush:). I got Bad Dog's Diary: Blake's Progress by Martin Howard (from my wishlist) and The Wordy Shipmates by Sarah Vowell.

Edited by frankie

Ooooh, Sybil, huh? I'm guessing that's the book version of the movie with Sally Field, right? Man, now that's a sad but touching story! I remember first seeing the film in my junior year psychology class in high school.

All great purchases, Frankie, good times! :D

Huh, a movie version? I didn't know there was one. I was at the bookstore and only noticed the title which I remembered from the Rory Gilmore list, and then read the blurb. Sounded really interesting! But now that you mention it, there was a woman in the cover and when I think about it, yes, it could definitely be a younger Sally Field from the movie. I might want to watch the movie as well, when I've read the book. Thanks peace! :smile2:

Edit: Just looked at the cover, and it's definitely Sally Fields, I should've recognised her even without you mentioning it! And under the title it actually says "... a frightening movie" :lol: I guess I wasn't paying much attention to the cover.

Edited by frankie

Huh, a movie version? I didn't know there was one. I was at the bookstore and only noticed the title which I remembered from the Rory Gilmore list, and then read the blurb. Sounded really interesting! But now that you mention it, there was a woman in the cover and when I think about it, yes, it could definitely be a younger Sally Field from the movie. I might want to watch the movie as well, when I've read the book. Thanks peace! :smile2:

Edit: Just looked at the cover, and it's definitely Sally Fields, I should've recognised her even without you mentioning it! And under the title it actually says "... a frightening movie" :lol: I guess I wasn't paying much attention to the cover.

:lol: Well, you'll definitely have to watch the film after reading the book, Frankie! It's very disturbing, but fascinating! Her psychiatrist was played by Joanne Woodward, wife of the late Paul Newman.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, it's time to update my reading blog and write a few mini 'reviews'.

The last book I reviewed was Jeff Lindsay's Dexter by Design. I started reading Dexter Is Delicious (#5) right after that and I tell you, in my very humble but correct opinion, it is the very best novel in the series! The beginning was very surprising and endearing. The actual 'crime case' that was investigated was very intriguing. The first twist

(the 'secret admirer' being Dexter's brother)

was unexpected and made me extremely intrigued! I did anticipate one of the following twists

(Brian being the one who's working for the what'shername and who assists Dexter and his posse in his escape)

but that didn't bother me one bit. I think one of the funniest ever Dexter moments was when

Dexter was drugged and was held as a prisoner with Samantha, and they ended up loving each other, life, everything, and ended up having sexual relations laugh.gif And Dexter even started to understand how being eaten alive can be seen as loving oneself, others, and life! Good stuff!

It's been a while since a book has made me laugh out loud so many times. 5/5!

81. The Sweetheart Season by Karen Joy Fowler

Years ago, in a book sale in Helsinki, I noticed this book and really liked the blurb, but for some reason didn't buy it. I've been regretting it til this very day and I've been trying to find the book for ages. So I was over the moon when I spotted it at the book fair in Canberra. I tried to search for the blurb on the net but couldn't find the one that was on the back of my book. However, I found one review on the book where someone had already expressed my feelings towards the book very aptly: basically, in this case the blurb was actually a lot more intriguing than the actual novel. I was expecting something slightly different, I have to admit. Nevertheless, I did enjoy reading the book and there were certainly a few characters which I really liked. An easy and enjoyable read, but nothing to write home about. 3/5

82. Freaky Friday by Mary Rodgers

I bought this at the book fair only because it was on the Rory Gilmore book challenge and was really cheap, 1 dollar. I didn't expect much of it so I was all the more surprised to learn how much I enjoyed reading it. Mother and daughter swap bodies for a day and this creates quite a few interesting situations. A really funny read and thoroughly enjoyable. I hope all the other Rory readers enjoy it as much as I dit :smile2:5/5

83. Jonathan Livingstone Seagull by Richard Bach

I got this book from Kylie and was happy to start reading it, since it's quite the classic read and I've been meaning to read it for a long time. At first I didn't think much of the story but really enjoyed it towards the end. A very mediocre story in some ways, but I was in the perfect mood to read the novel, learning new things myself and being in a strange country, so it really hit the mark with me. 5/5

84. Trial & Retribution lll by Lynda La Plante

Another great Trial & Retribution novel by Lynda La Plante. I would still say that the TV series is much better and freakier, but I do enjoy reading these books as well. I probably wouldn't recommend these books to anyone who hasn't watched the TV series and fallen in love with the TV characters, in particular the wonderful characters played by the ever so talented David Hayman and Kate Buffery and Richard E. Grant in the guest role. 5/5

85. Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite

This novel has been mentioned in the Most Disturbing Novel thread and ever since then I have been really keen on reading the book. I managed to find it at the book fair (where else?!) and couldn't wait to get to it. I found the beginning a bit difficult to get into. There were a few different narratives and sometimes I found it hard to understand who was who and how they were related to each other if at all. However, the more I read, the more I enjoyed it, if one can use that word. I did find it disturbing at times, especially towards the end, and I guess in that way the book was very successful because that's what made me want to read it in the first place. I found it really disheartening to read how there are so many evil people in the world who do the most awful things to other people. I admit I even shed a few tears. A great novel but definitely not for all. Comes with a parental advisory sticker. 4/5

86. Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

A Rory Gilmore read which I have been dying to read for years. I enjoy Augusten Burroughs's novels and it's been said that Sedaris writes in a very similar way, so I was really looking forward to reading the book which contains short stories or anecdotes. After reading the book I can safely say that I much prefer Burroughs and don't plan on reading any more of Sedaris whom I found very mediocre and at times a bit boring. There was one good turd story and that was it. 2/5

87. Fear the Worst by Linwood Barclay

I was very happy to find this newish Baclay novel at the book fair. I read Too Close to Home in the beginning of the year and really loved the novel, so I've been most eager to read other Barclay thrillers. Barclay knows how to write, I really like his style. I found the story line very interesting as well, although I have to say that it didn't quite manage to captivate me as much as TCtH did. Towards the end there were a couple of scenes which to me had 'a Hollywood movie' written all over them, but I feel like I had to give Barclay some slack. The ending was a bit abrupt and one of the twists was a bit over the top but all in all a really enjoyable read. Looking forward to reading No Time for Goodbye and the latest Barclay novel soon. 4/5

88. An Australian Son by Gordon Matthews

"An Australian Son describes an incredible journey of self-discovery - a deeply moving and courageous story which strikes at the heart of Australia's own struggle for identity.

Gordon Matthews was a boy who never belonged. Adopted at birth, he grew up in the 1950s in the leafy suburbs of Melbourne. While he had every comfort, colour set Gordon apart and he had no answers to the crucial questions of who he was and where he came from. Through an extraordinary chain of circumstances, Gordon came to believe he was of Aboriginal descent. It was the turning point of his life. Passionately, Gordon formally embraced his new identity and acquired a profile in the diplomatic service. He became a proud spokesman for his race; he also decided to look for his natural parents. Armed with a few snippets of information - his mother was Anglo-Saxon and unmarried, and had travelled from Sydney to Melbourne to have her child - he embarked on a remarkable search. That search would ultimately take him round the world, and shatter his dream."

A very compelling autobiographical read. It was a random pick from the book fair's Australia section, me being here in Australia and wanting to read about Australia and Australian people. Here is a guy who's first Australian, then turns into an Abo and goes on this seach of his own identity. Can there be a more fascinating read? I bet not. Good stuff. Didn't manage to convince Kylie to read it after me, though. 4/5

89. The Possession of Mr Cave by Matt Haig

I was really looking forward to reading this novel, having read some amazing reviews about it on the forum. All in all it was a really captivating read in some senses, especially after having finished it and realising why it was written in that particular way. However, not knowing all the details at the beginning made it really difficult for me to understand the structure of the novel and I had a hard time with the narrative. I feel like I failed this book :(2/5

90. Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror by Chris Priestley

Another BCF recommendation. Now comes with frankie's recommendation as well. The terror tales in the novel managed to truly creep me out, something which I didn't expect at all. I loved the atmosphere in the novel. People need more books like this! Highly recommended. :smile2:4/5

:haha:

Surely a good turd story is worth more than 2? :giggle:

Well, the turd story gets 5/5 from me, but you have to take into consideration the fact that the turd story takes no more than 3 pages in the 272 pages long book. In fact, if I receive more than 5 requests, I promise to type the whole turd story on this reading blog of mine, and will save you all the waste of having to buy the book.

I loved your thoughts on Dexter is Delicious and you are quite right of course! ;) Glad you enjoyed it so much. I'm intrigued to read Exquisite Corpse now, just wondering though, do you know if it's part of a series?

Completely agree about Chris Priestley's tales of terror books .. more people should read them. I read 'Tales of Terror from the Black Ship' and enjoyed that also and am looking forward to 'Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth' .. not too frightening but pleasantly spine tingly, I'm not one for hardcore horror and they're perfect for winter evenings.

Good to see that it's not just the British that indulge in a bit of toilet humour :D I'll try and resist the urge to say that you should log down your turd story .. sorry .. resistance proved futile :giggle:

89. The Possession of Mr Cave by Matt Haig

I was really looking forward to reading this novel, having read some amazing reviews about it on the forum. All in all it was a really captivating read in some senses, especially after having finished it and realising why it was written in that particular way. However, not knowing all the details at the beginning made it really difficult for me to understand the structure of the novel and I had a hard time with the narrative. I feel like I failed this book :(2/5

90. Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror by Chris Priestley

Another BCF recommendation. Now comes with frankie's recommendation as well. The terror tales in the novel managed to truly creep me out, something which I didn't expect at all. I loved the atmosphere in the novel. People need more books like this! Highly recommended. :smile2:4/5

You certainly didn't fail 'The Possession of Mr Cave' by Matt Haig, as much as I enjoyed it, I found the narrative a bit of a struggle and different from his previous books :)

I am so pleased you enjoyed 'Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror', what a fab and genuinely creepy read! :)

I loved your thoughts on Dexter is Delicious and you are quite right of course! Glad you enjoyed it so much. I'm intrigued to read Exquisite Corpse now, just wondering though, do you know if it's part of a series?

Of course I'm right :D I definitely enjoyed it, I already fancy a re-read! Charm, now that you've read Lost Souls and know what Poppy Z. Brite can and cannot do with her books, you must have lowered your expectations and might enjoy Exquisite Corpse a lot more than you did LS. Maybe you should just give it a try :cool: I think it's a stand-alone novel, and if not, I read it as such and didn't get the feeling of missing something or not getting everything.

Consider this request number two! (geddit?!!)

:haha: Yeah, I got it! Chrissy, you are such a riot!! :lol: I'm considering it a number two, although I don't see a number one request on my thread? I think Kylie told me that she made a comment about the request thing but for some reason I don't see her post anywhere? :huh:

Completely agree about Chris Priestley's tales of terror books .. more people should read them. I read 'Tales of Terror from the Black Ship' and enjoyed that also and am looking forward to 'Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth' .. not too frightening but pleasantly spine tingly, I'm not one for hardcore horror and they're perfect for winter evenings.

Good to see that it's not just the British that indulge in a bit of toilet humour I'll try and resist the urge to say that you should log down your turd story .. sorry .. resistance proved futile

There are more horror stories by Chris Priestley?? I definitely need to look them up and get them at some point, thanks for the heads up poppyshake! :friends0: I gave the book to Kylie who seems interested in it, I hope she likes it too.

Hahaa, I believe we have our third request here?! :giggle2:***

You certainly didn't fail 'The Possession of Mr Cave' by Matt Haig, as much as I enjoyed it, I found the narrative a bit of a struggle and different from his previous books

I am so pleased you enjoyed 'Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror', what a fab and genuinely creepy read!

I'm relieved to hear that you, Paula, also find the narrative a bit hard to get into. I kind of wish I knew about the ending of the story before I started reading the novel, it would've been much easier that way. Although that would defeit the purpose, of course. I've seen at least two different novels by Haig while I've been rummaging through Australia's bookshops and secondhand bookshops, and I'm definitely going to look up The Radleys and The Last Family in Britain (or what was it called, I can't remember for sure). Have you read those already?

And Paula, it was thanks to you that I read UMToT in the first place, so thank you! :friends0:

*** Edit: I just remembered how I learned the word 'turd'! I was in a Written English class in uni, and this girl was talking about something and said the word 'third', but her pronunciation was a bit off and our Australian professor thought she was saying 'turd'. Then he explained what a turd is. We got a fairly good giggle out of it. :giggle:

Edited by frankie

Good to see that it's not just the British that indulge in a bit of toilet humour :D I'll try and resist the urge to say that you should log down your turd story .. sorry .. resistance proved futile :giggle:

Ooh, I didn't know there were others! Somehow I think my wish list will be expanding further in the near future.

I think Kylie told me that she made a comment about the request thing but for some reason I don't see her post anywhere? :huh:

Haha. You know I want to see it! Consider this my official request. :)