Frankie Reads 2010

frankie

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Abby! :( For some reason I hope I will be able to get rid of a lot of books, I really hope to make a dent in the mount TBR :)

As for the reading part, nothing seems to tickle my fancy at the moment. I tried starting Howards End, couldn't enjoy it, then went off to Gloria Naylor's The Women of the Brewster Place but eventhough I liked it, I didn't feel like continuing with it. I just picked up the latest Sookie book and started reading that, but then I discovered I didn't remember anything that had happened in the previous books and didn't even remember all of the characters. I think I need to re-read the whole series before picking up Dead in the Family.

Maybe I just need to quit looking for a book to read for a while and just concentrate on the cleanse.

Okay, here's what I've found so far:

- Thomas Hardy: Tess of the D'Urbervilles (I hate this book, it was a mandatory uni reading, the only reason I haven't chucked it out earlier is that I've underlined it quite heavily but I don't care anymore)

- August Strindberg: Red Room (this is a 1001 Books -book but it's in Swedish and I'd rather read it in Finnish)

- Sandra Brown: Hello Darkness (this is actually Mum's book, will be giving it back to her)

- Kauko R

Throw Alice out now, frankie! And celebrate that you have seen the last of it! :(

That's what I'm going to do, and I don't care if Through the Looking Glass is in it as well, I'll borrow it from the library if I must! :) Maybe AiW will be in the required reading lists in the uni next year and some other uni student will benefit from my joining you in our lovely boat :(

Did you read the Mikael Niemi book? I liked it very much, but it's a few years since I read it. Well, if you give it to your dad you can borrow it again. Niemi's other books aren't as great, but this one is worth a read in my opinion.

I've not read it yet but I fully intend to. I'll just read it sometime when I'm visiting parents, I hate having borrowed books on my bookshelves. Have you seen the movie? It was on telly a few weeks ago but I missed it, I think it was when I was helping my parents with their move and I had no time to check out what was on TV. I'm really ****** that I missed it, I was really looking forward to it.

You, Sara, might actually help me with a Finnish movie/book title? I don't remember much about it, the movie was on TV on Christmas maybe 3-4 years ago. It's about a Finnish boy who has Swedish or Finnish-Swedish friends, I'm not sure but he maybe lived in Lapland, close to Haparanda? They were young teenagers and I think they realised their backgrounds and families and homes were quite different from each other. Gosh, now that I've written down everything I remember about it I feel like there's no way anyone could recognise the movie/books :)

Why not "Chocolat"?

I tried reading it once and liked it for the most part but just gave up on it for some reason or another. Now the book's been waiting around on my bookshelf for a few years and I never feel like picking it up and I cringe everytime I see it. I have no idea why that is, though.

There were actually a couple of other titles I was considering getting rid of, them being in Swedish. Every year I think I should read more in Swedish but I never really get to it and the Swedish titles are just sitting around. But the titles are pretty good and I think I would like them. These are the ones I'm talking about:

- Jan Guillou: Ondskan (the English movie title is Evil)

- Peter H

Sorry, no recollection of a book like that.

I've never read Max Lundgren either, but now I might out of curiosity. What would be considered mandatory reading to learn Swedish.. yes, I definately have to consider this one.

If you didn't like "Smilla", then more of Peter H

I've never read Max Lundgren either, but now I might out of curiosity. What would be considered mandatory reading to learn Swedish.. yes, I definately have to consider this one.

I think our lecturer chose Lundgren because that book of his is all short, easily readable stories. It was a mandatory Swedish lit class and I guess all the books he chose were short and quite easy to read. I think we had

- Min faders hus by Kerstin Norborg (didn't read it)

- Ormens v

I loved Smilla (as you know!) but didn't enjoy Borderliners, so maybe you would love Borderliners even though you hated Smilla! :(

I hope so, coincidentally I just picked the book up a minute ago and searched for my Swedish dictionary :( Inspired by Sara and I's conversation about Swedish lit I decided to give it a go :)

Now, Selma Lagerl

It's good that you can give a lot to your Mum. It means that you can always borrow them if you change your mind down the track.

Some of the others that you didn't enjoy speak for themselves I guess.

I'm not sure about Chocolat. I've been a little interested in reading it, but I haven't bought it yet because I have a feeling I wouldn't get around to reading it for a very long time. I would probably recommend getting rid of it.

ETA: Oh wait, I just checked my TBR pile and I actually do have this book already. :)

- Peter H�eg: De kanske l�mpade (Borderliners)

- Khaled Hosseini: Tusen str�lande solar (A Thousand Splendid Suns)

If you didn't like "Smilla"' date=' then more of Peter H�eg might not be a good thing?[/quote']

I agree!

I hope so, coincidentally I just picked the book up a minute ago and searched for my Swedish dictionary :( Inspired by Sara and I's conversation about Swedish lit I decided to give it a go :(

Oh no! I was too late to stop you! :)

It's good that you can give a lot to your Mum. It means that you can always borrow them if you change your mind down the track.

I agree. But it's a whole other thing whether she'll take them, she has a few books to be read of her own and she might just say that she's too busy to read at the moment. :( Whenever I take her my thrillers I've read and don't want to keep, she goes 'oh well, but see I already have so many books to read'. And it's like she's got 10 books TBR. I should just tell her how many I have and make her be grateful for getting free books for once! :)

:( I was already contemplating sending you Chocolat, I'm glad you checked you had it. When I was going through my bookshelf, I also had a couple of "Oh I didn't remember I had this book!" moments :( It was like Christmas. Kinda. :)

I've given it some thought and I've decided to keep Andy McCoy's Sheriffi McCoy. I'm still pretty sure about all the others, especially the ones of which I've given sure opinions about.

Oh no! I was too late to stop you! :D

But have you read it?

No, I never plan on reading another book by him (we're talking about Peter Hoeg, not Chocolat, right?)

Yes, poor Peter is who we're talking about. Did Smilla really have that kind of effect on you? :)

Personally I'd hate to give him up just based on that one single book, it's so rare to find promising Danish authors. I'm sure there are loads but he's one of the few I know.

If you and/or others on here highly recommended another one of his books and assured me it was better/different to Smilla, then I might be tempted to try again one day. But for now, with 600 books on my TBR pile, I'm already holding off buying lots of books from authors that I really love, so he would be right at the bottom of the wish list I'm afraid.

I don't want everyone to think I absolutely hated the book though. There were some aspects that were quite intriguing (the ice and snow, for example) but generally I felt that too little happened and I was bothered by what I felt were a lot of contradictions.

If you and/or others on here highly recommended another one of his books and assured me it was better/different to Smilla, then I might be tempted to try again one day. But for now, with 600 books on my TBR pile, I'm already holding off buying lots of books from authors that I really love, so he would be right at the bottom of the wish list I'm afraid.

I kind of figured that this was the case. That you wouldn't go and rush to buy a Hoeg book because of your respectable mount TBR but I also figured you wouldn't totally abstain from his novels if you were to hear absolutely great things about one of his books or another :) I happen to own one of his books already and it would really do me good to keep up my Swedish skills so it's easier for me to explore more of his stuff :(

I don't want everyone to think I absolutely hated the book though. There were some aspects that were quite intriguing (the ice and snow, for example) but generally I felt that too little happened and I was bothered by what I felt were a lot of contradictions.

Rest assured, I didn't think you absolutely hated it or anything like that :(

I'm kind of excited about it, because it means my TBR will plummet down (as if...) and I'll have more room for books and I'll be able to rearrange them more nicely. At the same time, though, I'm anxious: what if I'll regret giving up some particular book?? How can I be sure of what to take away? I wish I had a booky friend I could discuss each possible candidate with.

I have done this many times in my life Frankie. In general I can say that once a book has gone I don't miss it, because a little bit of it always stays with me and I can remember what I liked about it. You have to be brutal though. It is fatal to open a book up and flick through it-you will end up keeping it.

vodkafan, brutality is indeed necessary. I managed to find 20 books I want to get rid of and I think that's a pretty good number, I'm happy.

I was in Helsinki this weekend, at my cousin's wedding, and I had some time to go to this huge mall for a couple of hours and I visited a secondhand bookshop. What great finds I made! I got these:

Elizabeth Gaskell: Mary Barton

Kathy Reichs: Grave Secrets

Kathy Reichs: D

You're in for some enjoyable reading with Kathy Reichs's books Frankie :friends0:

Re Mistress of Justice - This is one of Deaver's earlier books. I found this to be quite different to his other books that I read. It actually reminded me of John Grisham's novels.