Frankie Reads 2010

frankie

It'll be a while til I get to read the book :blush: But it seems really interesting. Here's the blurb:

"After 27 years in show business my public image is that of America's la-di-da happy-go-lucky virgin, carefree and brimming with happiness. An image, I can assure you, more make-believe than any film part I have ever played. At ten years of age I discovered that my father was having an affair with the mother of my best friend. At 14, I was in an auto hit by a train, and that threatened to make me a cripple for life. At 17 years, I was married to a psychopathic sadist. When my third husband died, a man I had been married to for 17 years, I discovered that he had left me with a debt of half a million dollars. My reward for a lifetime of hard work.

There's another Doris Day, a woman I know well. It's she who's the subject of this book - no holds barred. This is the life I have lived.'

If that's not interesting I don't know what is.

I've always had a soft spot for Doris Day, grew up on her films. I have many fond memories of going Downtown [a big event in my young life] to the old-time movie theaters and watching her films.

Thanks for mentioning this autobiography, I'll be on the lookout for it.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Fearing that some day I will actually finish the Rory challenge that gives me so much pleasure, I'm going to get started on another challenge next year to take up some of my time that would be otherwise spend in the Rory novels. Having recently become a fan of an Australian book club show called First Tuesday Book Club, I'd like to try and read all the books that have been featured in their First Tuesday of the month shows. Here's a list (haven't been able to find all the novels yet):

- American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis - August 2006

- The Ballad of Desmond Kale by Roger McDonald - August 2006

- The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón - September 2006

- Longitude by Dava Sobel - September 2006

- The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson - October 2006

- The Rachel Papers by Martin Amis - October 2006

- The Mission Song by John le Carré - November 2006

- The Transit of Venus by Shirley Hazzard - Novembet 2006

- The Unknown Terrorist by Richard Flanagan - December 2006

- The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins - December 2006

- Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones - March 2007

- The Solid Mandala by Patrick White - March 2007

- In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant - April 2007

- The Secret River by Kate Grenville - April 2007

- The Road by Cormac McCarthy - May 2007

- Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut - May 2007

- The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall - June 2007

- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll - June 2007

- The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver - July 2007

- Le Grand Meaulness by Alain Fournier - July 2007

- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini - August 2007

- The Dancer Upstairs by Nicholas Shakespeare - August 2007

- The Broken shore by Peter Temple - September 2007

- Moby-Dick by Herman Melville - October 2007

- The Memory Room by Christopher Koch - March 2008

- Naked by David Sedaris - March 2008

- Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis - April 2008

- People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks - April 2008

- The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson - May 2008

- A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway - May 2008

- Breath by Tim Winton - June 2008

- Demons at Dusk by Peter Stewart - June 2008

- Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie - July 2008

- Miracles of Life by J. G. Ballard - July 2008

- Devil May Care by Sebastian Faulks - August 2008

- The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow - August 2008

- Disquiet by Julia Leigh - September 2008

- A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole - September 2008

- The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne by Brian Moore - October 2008

- Pandora in the Congo by Albert Sánchez Piñol - October 2008

- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck - March 2009

- The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga - March 2009

- Revolutionary Road by John Yates - April 2009

- The Private Patient by P. D. James - April 2009

Edited by frankie

Fearing that some day I will actually finish the Rory challenge that gives me so much pleasure, I'm going to get started on another challenge next year to take up some of my time that would be otherwise spend in the Rory novels. Having recently become a fan of an Australian book club show called First Tuesday Book Club, I'd like to try and read all the books that have been featured in their First Tuesday of the month shows. Here's a list (haven't been able to find all the novels yet):

- American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis - August 2006

- The Ballad of Desmond Kale by Roger McDonald - August 2006

- The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón - September 2006

- Longitude by Dava Sobel - September 2006

- The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson - October 2006

- The Rachel Papers by Martin Amis - October 2006

- The Mission Song by John le Carré - November 2006

- The Transit of Venus by Shirley Hazzard - Novembet 2006

- The Unknown Terrorist by Richard Flanagan - December 2006

- The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins - December 2006

- Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones - March 2007

- The Solid Mandala by Patrick White - March 2007

- In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant - April 2007

- The Secret River by Kate Grenville - April 2007

- The Road by Cormac McCarthy - May 2007

- Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut - May 2007

- The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall - June 2007

- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll - June 2007

- The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver - July 2007

- Le Grand Meaulness by Alain Fournier - July 2007

- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini - August 2007

- The Dancer Upstairs by Nicholas Shakespeare - August 2007

- The Broken shore by Peter Temple - September 2007

- Moby-Dick by Herman Melville - October 2007

- The Memory Room by Christopher Koch - March 2008

- Naked by David Sedaris - March 2008

- Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis - April 2008

- People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks - April 2008

- The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson - May 2008

- A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway - May 2008

- Breath by Tim Winton - June 2008

- Demons at Dusk by Peter Stewart - June 2008

- Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie - July 2008

- Miracles of Life by J. G. Ballard - July 2008

- Devil May Care by Sebastian Faulks - August 2008

- The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow - August 2008

- Disquiet by Julia Leigh - September 2008

- A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole - September 2008

- The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne by Brian Moore - October 2008

- Pandora in the Congo by Albert Sánchez Piñol - October 2008

- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck - March 2009

- The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga - March 2009

- Revolutionary Road by John Yates - April 2009

- The Private Patient by P. D. James - April 2009

Happy reading hen :)

Great books on that list .. it's nice to have a list isn't it, they always throw up gems that you'd never have known of otherwise and highlight old classics that are worth a re-read (or a first read for that matter.) I wrote down Susan Hill's list of her '40 can't do without books' and straight away I picked one up at the library and I'm really enjoying it .. I'd never heard of it before. Happy reading Frankie :)

• 2 weeks later...

Happy reading hen :)

Thank you Paula! :smile2:

Yay! I approve of this challenge. :D

I knew you would ;) I got the list from Wikipedia but as you can see, it's not the full list and I need to do some detective work to get the full list. I think it should be available on the show's website.

Great books on that list .. it's nice to have a list isn't it, they always throw up gems that you'd never have known of otherwise and highlight old classics that are worth a re-read (or a first read for that matter.) I wrote down Susan Hill's list of her '40 can't do without books' and straight away I picked one up at the library and I'm really enjoying it .. I'd never heard of it before. Happy reading Frankie :)

Yep, I love lists! It's great to have a list that provides you with totally unfamiliar titles that you wouldn't pick up otherwise. And all the books on the list that I'm going to follow sound really interesting, I wouldn't do it otherwise.

The Susan Hill list, is it in the Howards End is on the Landing book, or where did you find it? When I was still at Kylie's, she mentioned that you've been reading that book and it sounded really great and I added it to my wishlist straight away :giggle2: Oh by the way, I remember you were one of the people on here who's into Dan Rhodes and I just wanted to tell you that I ordered Little Hands Clapping from play.com (for a really cheap price!) and it was waiting for me when I got back to Finland. I'm happy :smile2:

Okay. Let's talk books in general. Frankie's back :cool: I bought LOADS of books when I was in Australia, and I managed to read some of them during my stay. 28 books to be exact. I read the following books:

- The Sweetheart Season by Karen Joy Fowler

- Freaky Friday by Mary Rodgers

- Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Back

- Trial & Retribution III by Lynda la Plante

- Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite

- Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

- Fear the Worst by Linwood Barclay

- An Australian Son by Gordon Matthews

- The Possession of Mr Cave by Matt Haig

- Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror by Chris Priestley

- The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

- Rebuilding Coventry by Sue Townsend

- The Case of the Imaginary Detective by Karen Joy Fowler

- The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

- The Last Family in England by Matt Haig

- Size 12 is Not Fat by Meg Cabot

- Size 14 is not Fat Either by Meg Cabot

- The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin

- When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr

- Sellevision by August Burroughs

- Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

- Property by Valerie Martin

- The True & Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters by Elizabeth Robinson

- Magical Thinking by August Burroughs

- Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin

- Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

- Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

- The Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons

I got home with these books, bought from Australia:

- Truth & Beauty by Ann Patchett

- The Long Hard Road out of Hell by Marilyn Manson with Neil Strauss

- The Importance of Being Eve Langley by Joy L. Thwaite

- House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

- A Lover of Unreason: The Life and Tragic Death of Assia Wevill by Yehuda Koren and Eilat Negev

- South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami

- Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami

- True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey

- Remembrance of Things Past: 1 by Marcel Proust

- Garden of Beasts by Jeffery Deaver

- The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir

- First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde

- The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde

- The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde

- Sybil by Flora Rheta Schreiber

- Doris Day: Her Own Story by A. E. Hotchner

- Letters Home by Sylvia Plath

- The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe

- Bad Dog's Diary: Blake's Progress by Martin Howard

- Culture Shock! Australia

- Chopper 4: For the Term of his Unnatural Life by Mark Brandon Read

- Small Island by Andrea Levy

And when I got back to Finland, there were 4 books waiting for me. The first one was sent to me by Chrissy and the rest I had ordered from play.com:

- The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien

- The Bad Dog's Diary by Martin Howard

- Little Hands Clapping by Dan Rhodes

- Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Greale

And when I was in Lappeenranta I went to a couple of charityshops and secondhand bookshops and got these:

- Seitsemän veljestä by Aleksis Kivi

- Manillaköysi by Veijo Meri

- Mesimarjani, pulmuni, pääskyni by Hilkka Ravilo (I got these three Finnish novels partly because 6 of December was the independence day of Finland and I wanted to get some Finnish novels I've been wanting to read for a while)

- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (a replacement copy for a really awful edition I already have)

- The Beach by Alex Garland

- Emily's Quest by L. M. Montgomery

- The Wayward Bus by John Steinbeck

- Eucalyptus by Murray Bail

- Peyton Place by Grace Metalious

- What I Loved by Siri Hustvedt

- Faust Eric by Terry Pratchett

- Only You Can Save Mankind by Terry Pratchett

- Jack Maggs by Peter Carey

- The Unusual Life of Tristan Smith by Peter Carey

And I have a package of books coming my way in 3 months :blush: Tehehehehe :giggle:

Yep, I love lists! It's great to have a list that provides you with totally unfamiliar titles that you wouldn't pick up otherwise. And all the books on the list that I'm going to follow sound really interesting, I wouldn't do it otherwise.

The Susan Hill list, is it in the Howards End is on the Landing book, or where did you find it? When I was still at Kylie's, she mentioned that you've been reading that book and it sounded really great and I added it to my wishlist straight away :giggle2: Oh by the way, I remember you were one of the people on here who's into Dan Rhodes and I just wanted to tell you that I ordered Little Hands Clapping from play.com (for a really cheap price!) and it was waiting for me when I got back to Finland. I'm happy :smile2:

Yes the list is in the back of Howards End is on the Landing ... she agonises over which 40 to choose, which Dickens/Shakespeare for instance .. I'm sure you'll love it Frankie, how can you not ... it's all about books :)

I do hope you enjoy Little Hands Clapping .. it's weird but in a good way. I've just finished reading Tove Jansson's The Summer Book and loved it. Funny, I could never get into her Moomin books but this one I really liked. It's fictional but I think she based it on her grandmother and niece, very unusual in style, about life on a tiny island in the Gulf of Finland.

Enjoy all your books Frankie :)

I do hope you enjoy Little Hands Clapping .. it's weird but in a good way. I've just finished reading Tove Jansson's The Summer Book and loved it. Funny, I could never get into her Moomin books but this one I really liked. It's fictional but I think she based it on her grandmother and niece, very unusual in style, about life on a tiny island in the Gulf of Finland.

Enjoy all your books Frankie :)

I love books that are weird in a good way, the blurb is one of the most curious ones I've had the pleasure to read in a while.

I might be going un-Finnish with the following, but I have to admit I've never been able to understand the popularity and likability of the Moomins, not as a child nor a grown-up. I just find them totally, utterly boring :blush: I hate saying this because Jansson is one of the most well-known writers to have come from Finland, but I'd switch Jansson for Astrid Lindgren (who was Swedish) in a heartbeat! However, it's interesting to hear that you enjoyed The Summer Book, eventhough you've never liked Moomins, either. It's actually a big relief, because it's on the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die -list and I'm determined to give it a try someday.

You've got to turn those numbers upside down! :o

333, that's how many books you have to read asap to get to keep your booksoul! Quick, get off the computer and read some short books!!!!!! :P

It will take me ages to read 333 books!! :( In all honesty, if I wanted to get the numbers going, I could just go and take a look at the Nancy Drews and Enid Blytons and click on all the ones I've read, there must be loads. I've never added them because my manual book blog only goes back to 1998-1999.

But alright alright, I'm going to finish my current read today so you don't need to worry about my soulful soul :wink:

Edit: Yay, I've gone over 5,000 posts in the last few days! :exc:

Edited by frankie

Anyway, what's this slack attitude about reading 333 books? We both know that Kylie will have bought and read at least that many by the new year. :giggle:

Bought that many maybe, but I certainly won't be able to read that many! tongue.gif

If I can buy fewer than 333 books next year I'll be pretty pleased with myself. As it stands, I've bought more than 1 book per day in 2010. Next year I am determined that Frankie will buy more books than I do.

Phew! Disaster avoided. :wink:

Anyway, what's this slack attitude about reading 333 books? We both know that Kylie will have bought and read at least that many by the new year. :giggle:

I'll be lucky if I can read 10 books per month this year, adding up to 120 books. That's nowhere near 333! :huh:

Bought that many maybe, but I certainly won't be able to read that many! tongue.gif

If I can buy fewer than 333 books next year I'll be pretty pleased with myself. As it stands, I've bought more than 1 book per day in 2010. Next year I am determined that Frankie will buy more books than I do.

Frankie is broke, frankie ain't gonna be buying no more books. I'd like to try and get that mount TBR reduced. Although I just did, by 8 books. I arranged my TBR for next year and it seems like I haven't been crossing off all the books I've read this year, so found 8 books that I could now cross off the list. Therefore TBR went from 350 to 342. Nice :giggle2:

I arranged my TBR for next year and it seems like I haven't been crossing off all the books I've read this year, so found 8 books that I could now cross off the list. Therefore TBR went from 350 to 342. Nice :giggle2:

Cool! I wish I had that sort of luck. I can't wait to see your reading list for next year. :)

No gun, but she talked about axes an awful lot. :huh: I thought it best to try to keep her happy by buying lots of books.

I was just about to come here and mention the axe threat :giggle2: Although to be totally honest, I think you were the one who brought up the possibility of me being an axe murderer. So there.

Thanks Weave :smile2:

But then you kept bringing it up! I slept with a baseball bat under my pillow every night...

Do you know how easy it is to chop up a baseball bat with an axe? You should've had Shel Silverstein as your weapon of choice!