Your Book Activity Today - Take 8!

Echo

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I went to the Strand really, truly to buy a calendar and I wound up coming home with

Gourmet Rhapsody by Muriel Barbery and Tooth and Clae by TC Boyle

I finished the book my mum got for me yesterday last night EverMore by Alyson Noel. 356 pages in a day a personal best for me :)

Ooooo, thats good to know as I really want to read that book.

I finished Shiver a few hours ago already :lol: Was a great read, now will be reading Tess Gerritsen - Girl Missing :D

Glad to hear Shiver was a good read as I have just got that from the library.

As for me all I was able to fit in was a chapter of Stolen, as it was my oldest Birthday party, but I am planning to finish it off tomorrow as it has to go back to the library.

I'm about to finish Fahrenheit 451 and I've already started on Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn. It sounds like a very interesting read:

Ella Minnow Pea is the strangest, most original and delightful book you'll read this year; a novel told through the correspondence of the people of Nollop, who worship the author of the sentence The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. When the z falls from the monument they've erected to their hero, Nollop's priests - interpreting this as a divine commandment - outlaw the writing or even speaking of any word containing it. And then q falls, and then j...

As the alphabet relentlessly shrinks, the islanders are left with an ever-smaller pool of permitted words for their communications, love letters, urgent messages, threats - and underground resistance. It's a race against time as letters continue to fall until only l, m, n, o and p are left. How can they save themselves from being silenced forever?

Have finished Cell by Stephen King. I was suprised by how much I enjoyed it, the ending was a bit disappointing though.

Finished The Winner by David Baldacci. I didn't love it, it was really slow in the biggining and I think that put me off.

Have just started The History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, I'm just about following it so far.

@Ned - Let me know how Cujo is I have this in my TBR pile.

I went second hand shopping Saturday and there was a sale on in one of the shops, 4 books for

Have finished Cell by Stephen King. I was suprised by how much I enjoyed it, the ending was a bit disappointing though.

@Ned - Let me know how Cujo is I have this in my TBR pile.

Bah, i hate endings like that, might have to move it down the TBR pile :lol:

I'll let you know how Cujo is, no problemo :)

I'm about to finish Fahrenheit 451 and I've already started on Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn. It sounds like a very interesting read:

Wow, that does sound like a really original and interesting read! And we all know I would have to read it anyway, it being on a certain list...

Last night read a bit of Too Close to Home again, when I'm through checking out the new messages on BCF I will continue the read!

Wow, that does sound like a really original and interesting read! And we all know I would have to read it anyway, it being on a certain list...

I was pretty sure it was on the Rory list because I found out about it from Goodreads, but I don't always trust my memory. :)

I've only read a few pages but it's going OK so far. The writing style seems a little much at times, like the author is trying too hard to use big words, but I'm trying to remind myself that the characters live on an island where language and words mean everything to them, so of course it's likely that they'd treat it with enormous respect and get the most out of it that they can.

It's a short read too, at around 200 pages, and a lot of pages have only half a page of text, as the letters get shorter and shorter.

Frustratingly still reading Death of a Chancellor and have been reading it since before Christmas. I really want to start on some of my 2010 books - but I have been busy shovelling snow out of the driveway and other such wonderful chores.

Just finished 'King Stakh's Hunt' Uladzimir Karatkevich trans Mary Mintz. Found this on the (un)originally named, but useful site 'Belarusian Literature in english transalation. Though it started slowly, the story became a bit of a page turner. It's set at the beginning of the 20th Century, and contains elements of 'Hound of the Baskervilles', Gogol's 'Dead Souls' and light gothic novel techniques. The narrator ends up , in a remote part of Belarus, and finds himself caught up in a local whodunit which he finally solves. Apparently it was written in the 1950's and slyly skirted the Soviet censors.

Now have Angola. Norway and Australia to read. Also after lots of Googling and Wiki hunting finally nailed Greenland and Falkland Islands :):D

I'm only a little ways in to Bitten by Kelley Armstrong but am already addicted. The book is fairly small so I should have it done (hopefully) within the next couple days so that I can get back to the other 2 half read books I have going. :)