Random Quotes: p123, para5, next 3 sentences

Kell

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"They returned with data, with calculations, and with charts. They came carrying specimens of minerals and plants. Both also returned with people, living human specimens of the diversity of mankind."

Peoples and Empires by Anthony Pagden

(just came by DHL today!)

Keep you to your priestcraft, Father, there is need of a burying, and when that is done, of a nuptial mass for your king and for my lady whom he has chosen queen.'

Igraine stood within the curve of Uther's arm.

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Bradley

• 3 weeks later...

Mary Bold was sitting on a low easy chair, with the boy in her lap, and Eleanor was kneeling before the object of her idolatry. As she tried to cover up the little fellow's face with her long, glossy, dark brown locks, and permited him to pull them hither and thither, as he would, she looked very beautiful in spite of the widow's cap which she still wore. There was a quiet, enduring, grateful sweetness about her face, which grew so strongly upon those who knew her, as to make the great praise of her beauty which came from her old friends, appear marvellously exaggerated to those who were only slightly acqainted with her.

Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope

(The following passage is describing Vivian Stanshall)

"Thank God some people helped, but people don't know how to deal with his kind of severe behaviour. He didn't sleep because when you take that many Valium tablets your metabolism goes completely. He was taking them in huge doses."

Ginger Geezer: The Life of Vivian Stanshall

Lucian Randall & Chris Welch

"If you get me the camp number. They do have telephones on the Isle of Man, don't they? I've never been there, but I hear the Manx are a little backward -"

~ The Secret Purposes by David Baddiel (which I'll be reading very shortly for the reading circle...)

"She helped me up by one arm and walked me into the bedroom. I sat on the edge of the bed and looked numbly out the window at the wet trees and the rain on the river. When I closed my eyes my head spun and I could see gray worms swimming behind my lids."

Black Cherry Blues by James Lee Burke

They had almost stopped when Clay said, apropos of nothing, "If heaven ain't a lot like Dixie, I don't want to go."

That set them off again, all three. Alice was still laughing when she said, "If they're flocking, then roosting for the night in gyms and churches and malls, people coiuld machine-gun them by the hundreds."

Stephen King - Cell

He told Greenblatt how the power of the PDP-6 would be improved by a new piece of hardware which would expand its memory to a size bigger than any computer in the world. He promised that the time-sharing system would be better than any to date - and the hackers would control it. He worked on Greenblatt for weeks, and finally Ricky Greenblatt agreed that time-sharing should be implemented on the PDP-6.

Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution

Steven Levy

I always liked this:

'True joy is a profound remembering, and true grief is the same. Thus it was, when the dust storm that had snatched Cal up finally died, and he opened his eyes to see the Fugue spread out before him, he felt as though the few fragile moment of epiphany he'd tasted in his twenty-six years - tasted but always lost – were here redeemed and wed. He'd grasped fragments of this delight before. Heard rumour of it in the womb-dream and the dream of love; known it in lullabies. But never, until now, the whole, the thing entire. It would be, he idly thought, a fine time to die. And a finer time still to live, with so much laid out before him'. - Clive Barker, Weaveworld

And this:

'After my religion period, I took up with a swindler: Allardyce Merriwhether. After Mrs. Pendrake his honesty was downright refreshing'.

Just joined but here is my contribution...

"If dying turns out to be nothing but a trick that might as well be a trick with words, if death is a mere hiccup in time after which life goes on as before, why all the fuss? Is one allowed to refuse it - refuse this deathlessness, this puny fate? I want my old life back, the one that came to an end on Magill Road."

"slow man" J.M. Coetzee. :)

The dwarf was soundly whipped, and as a further punishmeny, forced to drink up the bowl of cream, into which he had thrown me; neither was he ever restored to favour, for soon after the Queen bestowed him to a lady of high quality, so that I saw him no more, to my very great satisfaction, for I could not tell to what extremity such a malicious urchin might have carried his resentment.

He had before served me a scurvy trick, which set the Queen a-laughing, although at the same time she was heartily vexed, and was have immediately cashiered him if I had not been so generous as to intercede. Her Majesty had taken a marrow-bone upon her plate, and after knocking out the marrow, placed the bone again in the dish erect as it stood before; the dwarf watching his opportunity while Glumdalclitch was gone to the sideboard, mounted upon the stool she stood on to take care of me at meals, took me up in both hands, and squeezing my legs together, wedged them into the marrow-bone abouve my waist, where I stuck for some time and mage a very ridiculous figure.

Gulliver's Travels

Jonathan Swift

Appleby had been taking four times as many Atabrine tablets as the amount prescribed because he wanted to be four times as good a pilot as everyone else. His eyes were still shut when Sergeant Tower tapped him lightly on the shoulder and told him he could go in now if he wanted to, since Major Major had just gone out. Appleby's confidence returned.

Catch-22

Joseph Heller

It was on his track, and not upon the convict's, that Frankland had stumbled. If I could get his knowledge it might save me a long and weary hunt. But incredulity and indifference were evidently my strongest cards.

The Hound of the Baskervilles

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

He could imagine quarrelling with her to be great fun. His spirits rose, the sense of isolation sloughed from him.

"You're not really such a philosopher, I bet," he smiled at her. "I don't believe you naturally let ill alone."

South Riding by Winifred Holtby