In The News (Cont..)

Lilywhite

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's been a lot of hoohaa in the news about that British guy who was on death row in China for smuggling, like, 4kg of drugs, and was about to get "just 24 hours notice of his execution".

Newsflash - he knew he was on death row, surely it's not that much of a surprise for him?

Then there were the "Executed man's family shocked at execution" headlines.

Again, newsflash - he was on death row, it was pretty much inevitable.

And I don't for one second believe the "he was tricked into it - he didn't know what he was doing" argument - it was 4kg of drugs! How can you carry 4kg of ANYTHING into a country for someone else and not think, "Hang on, why can't they do this themselves? I think it's probably drugs therefore I'm not going to do it!"

Call me callous if you like, but that's how I see it.

I think it's a case of the news going into overdrive over what is effectively a non-story.

That's not up to me - it's up to the lawmakers of the country in which he offended. I've always been of the opinion, "If you can't do the time, then don't do the crime". The punishment for drug smuggling in China is death. You don't want to be executed? Don't smuggle drugs in China - here endeth the lesson.

And yes, I'm all for capital punsihment for things like murder and rape. Drug smuggling is an offense that affects so many vulnerable people, including children. I'm all for stronger sentencing in this country for such a crime (perhaps not execution though). But as I said, he didn't do it in this country - he did it in t acountry where his action would lead to his death. His own fault, in my opinion - take responsibility for your own actions. He's not the first to be executed in a foreign country for crimes committed there and he won't be the last, I'm sure.

Of course, I see exactly what you are trying to say. In the end he knew what the consequences of his actions were, choosing to take that risk, so he should face the punishment, and as you say drug smuggling affects so many people. However surely two wrongs do not make a right. I do not agree with hanging people unless it is in certain situations. He should have been locked up instead. I do not agree with the issue about him being in an unfit mental state, that just seems to be the excuse they are making to get him out of trouble.

how insane is this law :)

Oh god...

Seriously though, you would think that the UK laws passed back in '07 (I think) would have given some idea of where this particular piece of legislation was going to go. Anyone remember Rowan Atkinson's tirade against the suspension of 'free speech' rights? I'm amazed that there are people still wiling to try and hoist religion up out of the reaches of satire, which has managed to temper the most extreme edges off of most religions.

Anyone seen the story about murder attempt on the Danish cartoonist who depicted Mohammed? It is precisely because people are frightened of mocking Islam (even giving it a gentle ribbing is verbotten) that there is so much trouble surrounding religious comedy.

Monkeys love Metallica

I love this story!!

I don't go in this thread often as i don't really watch the news as such, but i saw this on the first page and it made me laugh and also confused as the story has vanished from the host site :D