In The News (Cont..)

Lilywhite

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THat is so cool! I adore him. :)

I would have done exactly the same, but that would have been just the beginning of my revenge campaign. He'd be paying for a loooooonnnnggg time after, even if he didn't know it was me behind his run of extreme bad luck. Bwahahahaha!

It's just totally skanky to go shopping in your PJs. I mean, how much effort does it take to pull on some jeans and a t-shirt? That woman who complained just made herself look like a right chav! :)

What on earth are we teaching our kids? Are we really raising a nation of dunces, or did the previous generation of parents do that and we're the idiots with no better knowledge to pass down the way?

Taken from Yahoo news (I'll post the article because Yahoo have a habit of removing their articles).

Children 'believe sheep lay eggs'

Eggs come from sheep, crisps are made of plastic and butterflies produce cheese - these are just some of the wrong answers given by children in a test of their knowledge of food sources, it was revealed.

The survey of more than 1,000 school children showed that nearly two thirds struggled to identify the origins of the everyday foods they eat.

Some thought beef burgers came from McDonalds or Burger King, that yoghurts were made using turkeys or ducks, ham came from the Co-Op, bacon from horses, goats or peacocks and cheese originated from butterflies, rats or mice.

Less than one in four knew that beef burgers are sourced from cows, with 29% saying beef burgers came from pigs.

More than 1,100 youngsters from Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Somerset, between the ages of six and eight, were questioned for the research commissioned by rural insurance firm Cornish Mutual.

The survey was used to determine their level of awareness and knowledge of vegetables, dairy products and meat produce and to see if they were able to recognise how they are sourced.

Other bizarre responses from pupils included children believing rabbits, plastic or sheep were the main ingredient of crisps (two thirds correctly identified potatoes).

Some thought ice cream was made with cheese, air, fish or potatoes (43% correctly said milk or cream).

But children's overall level of recognition of vegetables was high, ranging from 98% for carrots and sweetcorn to a low of 44% for swede/turnip.

Levels of animal recognition were even higher, with all pupils correctly identifying cows, 99% for pigs, 98% for chickens and 97% for sheep.

• 2 weeks later...

Dick Francis, Jockey and author has died at the age of 89.

As a teenager, I read his thrillers avidly (despite having absolutely no interest in horse racing), although I haven't read one for about 23 years. I know 89 is a fantastic age, but I'm really saddened by this news. :blush: RIP+

I still have Proof on my bookcase (I couldn't quite bring myself to part with them all) so I might re-read it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/8514573.stm

Man refused bus ride because he was carrying a pot of paint

I can't find the linky right now, but there was a story about a coach driver who went on a massive road rage incident, swerving across three lanes of traffic to catch up to a driver ahead of him. And he had passengers as well. Makes me wonder what psychological evaluations are needed to become a bus or coach driver - not much by the sound of things...

I can't find the linky right now, but there was a story about a coach driver who went on a massive road rage incident, swerving across three lanes of traffic to catch up to a driver ahead of him. And he had passengers as well. Makes me wonder what psychological evaluations are needed to become a bus or coach driver - not much by the sound of things...

I saw a clip of this on the news, I`m so glad I wasn`t on that bus or on the roads at the time, it looked like pure madness, very scary stuff.

Here it is :roll: He was imprisoned for a year.

Yup, that's the one. :) (and thank you for the link)

There's also a story about a Muslim bus driver who stopped mid-route and locked the passengers in while he knelt down to pray for five minutes - prompting fears from the passengers that he was going to blow up the bus. Whilst the reaction is understandable (given the London bombings a few years ago) the assumption that he was a terrorist was racist (IMHO); the bus driver should have known better, however...

I'm not picking on bus drivers here, just in case anyone gets that impression, it just seems to be the season for news reports on them.