In The News (Cont..)

Lilywhite

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The part I like is that he says the system flagged it as being an age restricted product. But that system had to be programmed and approved..meaning MULTIPLE adults in a position of influence within that business (and who hold a vote for our elections, sadly) believed that to be accurate.

*edit*

EPIC! In our land of CCTV I DEMAND video of this.

Edited by beef

The saddest aspect (among so much sadness from this story) for me was that one of his victims died of thirst in the desert where he's been abandoned after the attack.

I think they are getting the job done the wrong way around though. I'd start with the cross, and end with the beheading.

Sorry is this has been posting. I just don't get this how come someone not name a person that done damager

Shop cannot name vandal

I think it's fair enough. The person has already been punished. The police's comments seem sensible to me.

Those two should be deported back to whatever Eastern European country they come from, after being publicly whipped...:D

:D

Saudi Arabian Paedophile to be beheaded and crucified.

Hurrah, I say! Anyhone who does that to children should be punished to the extreme end of the law in my opinion!

Good on them, shame we can't ship our over to Saudi.

I think they are getting the job done the wrong way around though. I'd start with the cross, and end with the beheading.

I totally agree!

Fitting punishment imo :D

Sorry but I can't agree with you all. I'm horrified by what this man has done but also horrified that such a 'punishment' could be handed down, and approved of, in this day and age. I believe there is no justification for death penalty whatever the circumstances and displaying the body publicly is just plain sick.

Sorry but I can't agree with you all. I'm horrified by what this man has done but also horrified that such a 'punishment' could be handed down, and approved of, in this day and age. I believe there is no justification for death penalty whatever the circumstances and displaying the body publicly is just plain sick.

Most times for punishment I lean toward loss of liberty and being made to live in basic but humane conditions and made to carry out supervised work that contributes in some way to the community or society as a whole.

Having said that, when it comes to the type of cruelty that was shown to these children, my blood just boils and I want punishment, severe and significant. The terror that he put these children through I want him to feel to some degree. The displaying aspect bothers me because I don't see that that has any 'value' as a means of deterring other criminally minded 'people', and can only attract the attention of the gruesomely minded.

I don't say that what I feel with regard to this type of crime and punishment is right or rational, but it is one area where I see red and feel only vengeful fury.

no justification? So mass murderers are to just sit in jail watching sky and costing us millions of pounds?

You know, one of my colleague's relatives works as an investigator for people who have been sentenced to death in the US. Apparently to try and ensure that no innocent is put to death each person sentenced gets several dedicated lawyers, as well as social investigators for at east a year, during which they work full time to bring forward a case against the sentence. I don't have figures, but apparently the whole scheme, as well as the cost of actually carrying out the sentence, is much higher than that of keeping the person in prison.

But whatever the figures are, I don't think money should be the deciding factor... Yes it's enraging that such people should cost so much but we're speaking of a life there and I don't think we can sentence someone to death just because it 'costs too much' to keep them alive.

Having said that, when it comes to the type of cruelty that was shown to these children, my blood just boils and I want punishment, severe and significant. The terror that he put these children through I want him to feel to some degree. The displaying aspect bothers me because I don't see that that has any 'value' as a means of deterring other criminally minded 'people', and can only attract the attention of the gruesomely minded.

I don't say that what I feel with regard to this type of crime and punishment is right or rational, but it is one area where I see red and feel only vengeful fury.

Well, I can certainly understand that. But in a way, that's the problem. Giving someone, through the judiciary system, the power to act upon these vengeful feelings (and I've had them as well) can only lead (imo) to tragic mistakes.

I'm not trying to get in an argument here, but I was surprised and a little shocked to see only reactions applauding that sentence. We are lucky enough to live in countries were lots of people have fought against the death penalty and the tragedies it brought with it. It seems dangerous to fantasize about reinstating it.

I think that contributed to my reaction, the fact that it was taking place in a country far from mine! I could do the "Hell Yeah!", without having to up close and personal deal with the actual societal consequences of the act.

My response on hearing the news was from my gut, certainly not my brain which would have considered whether for certain he was the actual culprit, what the evidence against him was etc. I had a purely visceral response.

And you are correct in saying that a judiciary given powers from that place of vengefulness can only lead to mistakes being made at times. The juduciary in any nation must administer the laws of that nation without emotion and without looking to the people to gauge what they should do. The laws must be clear and precise, they must reflect the will of the people but not mirror the blood lust that is provoked in some cases.

I prefer (in my head) for punishment to not be cruel and unusual, but if I am to be honest, in these such cases there is that part of me that still want it to be both.

I prefer (in my head) for punishment to not be cruel and unusual, but if I am to be honest, in these such cases there is that part of me that still want it to be both.

In a way I think a lifetime's imprisonment is cruel as can get... But what does make my blood boil is everytime I hear about such a criminal being released 'early', that is after 10 or 15 years and just going on to repeat his actions. For sure, lifetime should mean lifetime!