Peacefield's Reads (started 2009)

Peacefield

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

woo hoo for Kelley Armstrong I have the latest packed safely in the bottom of my suitcase and am resisting its call

I ordered it today! :exc:

You have some great reads ahead of you peace, especially the Armstrong ones, although I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of Undead & Unwed, a quirky little read! :lol:

:lurker: Psst! Mac! You might wanna get those L plates up! L :giggle:

I'm looking foward to the Armstong books too! She never disappoints :D. I think I might read Undead & Unwed after the Alan Bradley book, Charm. I feel myself getting pulled in the quirky direction after every couple books or so! :lol:

I was with my friend and her mom today (she's the one who got me hooked on The Lost Book of Salem and also the Bone Garden amoung others) and we were talking about the Kathy Reichs books that one of my fave shows Bones is based on. She has all of her books and encouraged me to borrow her first one, which happens to be her fave. Have any of you guys read the Reichs books? I'm going up to their place next month so I'm going to snag it while I'm there. She's also lending me the Steig Larsson books, so I'm looking forward to finally reading them as well!

She's also lending me the Steig Larsson books, so I'm looking forward to finally reading them as well!

Man alive! They're brilliant and you'll love them! bye2.gif

P.S. Have some of these - there's too many for me...JC_cookies.gif

I'm looking foward to the Armstong books too! She never disappoints :D. I think I might read Undead & Unwed after the Alan Bradley book, Charm. I feel myself getting pulled in the quirky direction after every couple books or so! :lol:

I was with my friend and her mom today (she's the one who got me hooked on The Lost Book of Salem and also the Bone Garden amoung others) and we were talking about the Kathy Reichs books that one of my fave shows Bones is based on. She has all of her books and encouraged me to borrow her first one, which happens to be her fave. Have any of you guys read the Reichs books? I'm going up to their place next month so I'm going to snag it while I'm there. She's also lending me the Steig Larsson books, so I'm looking forward to finally reading them as well!

I have read all of Kathy Reich's books except the latest, be warned though I am not sure the show is based very accurately on the books, they are still a good read though, although towards the last one I did find myself becoming annoyed with the main character Temperance for getting herself into situations.

I've read all the Kathy Reich books too, apart from the last one or two, and like pickle says, the series Bones is very losely based on them. They are a good read and I really enjoyed them although, I did find they get a bit repetitive towards the later ones. Do get the first one and try it peace, it's very good! :D

Mmm thanks for the cookies Mac, they'll go great with my coffee this morn! :D

Pickle and Charm, thanks for the forewarning on the Reichs books. My friend's mom was telling me how in the book, Brennan is mostly based in Montreal and I think in the first book she was also in South Carolina (correct me if I'm wrong), and not in DC like the TV show. They are also pretty intense she said, and Booth is a Montreal policeman, which is kind of far off a former Army Ranger turned FBI man! I think I'll try the first book though - you never know, right?! :D

Yep she is a pathologist who is based in S Carolina but has tenure in Canada to help out in their pathology dept, and he is with the police in Montreal...virtually none of it is set in the US. Still they are a good read hope you enjoy.

Edited by pickle

:lol: LOL!!! But peace, please! don't drive over any of those precious books??!!

I promise, Frankie!! I'll just drive through a canyon of giant mountains of books, kind of like that scene in Star Wars...

Last night I came home with the next 2 Sookie books, so have added them to my TBR shelf and list here on BCF. My friend was also telling me about this book called 'The Neighbor' or Neighbors (something like that) where this woman moves from the US to London and has something freaky happen in the neighborhood she moves to. I guess it's a murder mystery, so I'm going to have a look-see and see if it's up my alley! :D

The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent

Synopsis via Waterstones:

Martha Carrier was hanged on August 19th, 1692 in Salem, Massachusetts, unyielding in her refusal to admit to being a witch, going to her death rather than joining the ranks of men and women who confessed and were thereby spared execution. Like her mother, young Sarah Carrier is bright and wilful, openly challenging the small, brutal world in which they live. In this startling novel, she narrates the story of her early life in Andover, near Salem. Her father is a farmer, English in origin, quietly stoical but with a secret history. Her mother is a herbalist, tough but loving, and above all a good mother. Often at odds with each other, Sarah and her mother have a close but also cold relationship, yet it is clear that Martha understands her daughter like no other. When Martha is accused of witchcraft, and the whisperings in the community escalate, she makes her daughter promise not to stand up for her if the case is taken to court. As Sarah and her brothers are hauled into the prison themselves, the vicious cruelty of the trials is apparent, as the Carrier family, along with other innocents, are starved and deprived of any decency, battling their way through the hysteria with the sheer willpower their mother has taught them.

Yet another fascinating and excellent read about the painful subject of the Salem witch trails, Kathleen Kent seemed to capture perfectly the life and times of a family trying to survive not only the elements but the ignorance of their fellow townspeople. I loved reading about Sarah's relationship with her mother, and how at the end her understanding and relationship with her completely changed. It was interesting how these two characters were almost at odds with one another throughout the story, but because of the trials her mother had to go through, Sarah learned just how strong, independent and smart her mother really was. As always, part of me gets really upset at the ignorance of the people who lived during that time, and how a lot of things seemed to be based on superstition. If they didn't understand why something was happening, they blamed it on something evil and took the worst possible action towards the accused. It was sad to see families broken up because of something that just wasn't understood. Despite all that though I loved the way Kent weaved this story and am SO glad this book was recommended to me :D.

On a side note, I was surprised to see a mention of a possible relative of mine, Nathaniel Ames. I have several Ames (Eames) that lived in Andover and Boxford, MA during the 16 and 1700's, so it's worth some research!

On a side note, I was surprised to see a mention of a possible relative of mine, Nathaniel Ames. I have several Ames (Eames) that lived in Andover and Boxford, MA during the 16 and 1700's, so it's worth some research!

Wow! How cool is that! Not if he was hung as a witch or anything, but you know what I mean :blush: I'm so pleased you enjoyed this! :yahoo:

I had the same feelings throughout the book you did and ended up really admiring the young Sarah. It was definitley one of those books that hung around in my head for days after I'd read it, a great story. :D

Wow! How cool is that! Not if he was hung as a witch or anything, but you know what I mean :blush: I'm so pleased you enjoyed this! :yahoo:

I had the same feelings throughout the book you did and ended up really admiring the young Sarah. It was definitley one of those books that hung around in my head for days after I'd read it, a great story. :D

Thanks again for getting me on The Heretic's Daughter train, Charm! I'm glad I read it too - it was definitely one of the most interesting reads I've had in awhile :D.

• 2 weeks later...

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

It is June 1950 and a sleepy English village is about to be awakened by the discovery of a dead body in Colonel de Luce's cucumber patch. The police are baffled, and when a dead snipe is deposited on the Colonel's doorstep with a rare stamp impaled on its beak, they are baffled even more. Only the Colonel's daughter, the precocious Flavia -when she's not plotting elaborate revenges against her nasty older sisters in her basement chemical laboratory, that is - has the ingenuity to follow the clues that reveal the victim's identity, and a conspiracy that reached back into the de Luce family's murky past. Flavia and her family are brilliant creations, a darkly playful and wonderfully atmospheric flavour to a plot of delightful ingenuity.

Well, I'll just say first off that I have nothing negative to say about this book. It's my favorite kind of mystery, and Flavia de Luce is my favorite kind of heroine! It's funny, not convoluted, easy to follow yet hard to solve, and Flavia is smart, clever, sassy and very wise beyond her years. I laughed a lot, and loved the way Bradley told the story from this fiesty little 11 year old's point of view. He seemed to paint perfectly a little English village that hung on tightly to its past, with all it's quirky neighbors and dark secrets. The thread of philately and chemistry throughout the story really fit with the mysterious death as well as the somewhat disfunctional family dynamic. Flavia's theories about the murder were wildly imaginative yet she was intelligent enough to deduce realistically what could have happened. I honestly can't recommend this one enough, you guys :D. I'm hoping to get my hands on Bradley's next book in the series ASAP!

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

It is June 1950 and a sleepy English village is about to be awakened by the discovery of a dead body in Colonel de Luce's cucumber patch. The police are baffled, and when a dead snipe is deposited on the Colonel's doorstep with a rare stamp impaled on its beak, they are baffled even more. Only the Colonel's daughter, the precocious Flavia -when she's not plotting elaborate revenges against her nasty older sisters in her basement chemical laboratory, that is - has the ingenuity to follow the clues that reveal the victim's identity, and a conspiracy that reached back into the de Luce family's murky past. Flavia and her family are brilliant creations, a darkly playful and wonderfully atmospheric flavour to a plot of delightful ingenuity.

Well, I'll just say first off that I have nothing negative to say about this book. It's my favorite kind of mystery, and Flavia de Luce is my favorite kind of heroine! It's funny, not convoluted, easy to follow yet hard to solve, and Flavia is smart, clever, sassy and very wise beyond her years. I laughed a lot, and loved the way Bradley told the story from this fiesty little 11 year old's point of view. He seemed to paint perfectly a little English village that hung on tightly to its past, with all it's quirky neighbors and dark secrets. The thread of philately and chemistry throughout the story really fit with the mysterious death as well as the somewhat disfunctional family dynamic. Flavia's theories about the murder were wildly imaginative yet she was intelligent enough to deduce realistically what could have happened. I honestly can't recommend this one enough, you guys :D. I'm hoping to get my hands on Bradley's next book in the series ASAP!

Sounds good peacefield :)

I'm happily making my way through Dead to the World and am having lots of fun reading it, of course! :D

Today I went to a brunch/book exchange and came away with Girl with a Dragon Tattoo and The Lovely Bones, so I'm excited! They're on my TBR shelf for safe keeping.

Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris

Sookie comes to the rescue of a naked, amnesiac vampire - and ends up in the middle of a war between witches, werewolves and vampires! Sookie Stackhouse is a small-town cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. She's pretty. She does her job well. She keeps to herself - she has only a few close friends, because not everyone appreciates Sookie's gift: she can read minds. That's not exactly every man's idea of date bait - unless they're undead - vampires and the like can be tough to read. And that's just the kind of guy Sookie's been looking for. Maybe that's why, when she comes across a naked vampire on the way home from work, she doesn't just drive on by. He hasn't got a clue who he is, but Sookie has: Eric looks just as scary and sexy - and dead - as the day she met him. But now he has amnesia, he's sweet, vulnerable, and in need of Sookie's help - because whoever took his memory now wants his life. Sookie's investigation into what's going on leads her straight into a dangerous battle between witches, vampires and werewolves. But there could be even greater danger - to Sookie's heart, because the kinder, gentler Eric is very hard to resist.

Before I read book #4 in the Sookie Stackhouse series, several people told me it was their favorite out of the bunch, and I had no problem discovering why. I find this series of books only gets better as it goes along, and Sookie has turned into quite a memorable character! By this time in the series she's pretty much resigned herself to the fact that she lives with all sorts of strange creatures in her little place in the world, and she just better get along and try not to be in the middle of so much drama all the time. She's more comfortable with her own abilities as a 'supe,' and I liked seeing Eric so vulnerable and not so much of an a**-hat this time around ;). All around a very fun read, and I cheered when Alcide came back on the scene and Debbie (eww) came upon an unfortunate turn of events!

Great review! Dead to the world is my favourite too, glad you enjoyed it so much too peacefield :) And loads of ewwww from me too for Debbie (get a clue Deb!) :giggle:

Edited by Weave