Cooking mishap

I love to encourage my children to cook, the easiest way is by getting them to bake some cakes and biscuits.

Today, J wanted vanilla hearts, so we set out to bake it. I knew I had it done wrong but for the life out of me I could figure it out. The dough was too grainy, as if there was too much sugar.

Baked them, they melted into just one huge cookie, as they cooled, it could be snapped into pieces. It should have been 'melt in your mouth' kind of shortbread.

After a cuppa, after our lunch, I went over the recipe book, lo and behold, I should have added 225g of flour. I only added 150g. As for the sugar, it should have been 125g, I put in 150g.

Someone needs to go to specsavers!

Any cooking mishap?

Batty

I was making a pavlova once for dessert when friends were coming around. I had it looking beautiful complete with fresh cream, strawberries and drizzled chocolate.

Unfortunately I added a couple of tablespoons of salt to the fresh cream on top instead of castor sugar as I whipped it. :censored:

Now I know you're supposed to taste test everything before you serve it but this is one of my renowned recipes which never goes wrong, (until that day :motz:) so I didn't bother. I nearly died when everyone started spitting out their dessert back on to their plates!! I still haven't lived it down .. I was a trained chef! :motz:

I've had many cooking mishaps in my life! The best ones always occur with a particular friend of mine, it seems like when we come together we suck at cooking and baking more then usual!

Once we were doing a sort of brownies with that friend K and for the mix that comes for the top it said that we should add 5-6 teaspoons of strong coffee into the mix. Now, we added 5 spoons of coffee grounds and were wondering why the mix was so dry, why it didn't turn into liquid like it was supposed to. Then we realised it was supposed to be already made coffee, the liquid type :)

The other time we were making pancakes and it was a first time for the both of us and we did the mix which includes eggs, milk and flour and whatnot. Then we started putting the mix onto the frying pan on the stove. It fried up nicely but turned out really weird. It seemed almost like a fried egg. What an earth?? I never would've understood what went wrong but my friend realised we'd totally forgotten about adding the flour into the mix :motz:

The first time I made pea soup from a tin can was a disaster. I'd heated the stove and place a pot on it and then I forgot the whole thing as I was chatting to K. Then I remembered I was supposed to do the soup and just opened the tin can and shoved the pea stuff in the pot. Immediately the stuff started to burn and go brown :motz: My friend advised that I should've probably first heated the water in the pot (I thought I could add it later...) and then add the contents of the tin can in it... Oh well! I added water and we ate it anyway. It was okay, only a bit brown :censored:

Edit: And, I almost wrote 'pee soup'.

My mother once made a chilli and confused 4 teaspoons with 4 tablespoons of chilli powder and she used cayenne instead of chilli powder. We all like spicy food, but this was way too hot! None of us could eat it and it had to thrown away.

Isn't it funny how these things happen sometimes?? :censored: Too much of this.. too little of that.. and you make it through the whole process without figuring out what you've done wrong!

Unfortunately I added a couple of tablespoons of salt to the fresh cream on top instead

Haha.. Poor Charm! A similar thing happened in the "Anne of Green Gables" book I just read.. She put liniment instead of vanilla into a cake. :motz:

Now, we added 5 spoons of coffee grounds and were wondering why the mix was so dry, why it didn't turn into liquid like it was supposed to. Then we realised it was supposed to be already made coffee, the liquid type :motz:

This is really funny.. And just the sort of thing you realize at the last minute when it's way too late.

These things are all why I don't take cooking risks, and leave any "new" recipes up to Raja.

When I was living in halls the fire alarm went off so someone who was cooking sausages just turned the oven off at the wall. The fire alarm was a false alarm so everyone went back in but the guy who had been cooking sausages had forgotten so went back to their room. Meanwhile someone went into the kitchen and turned the oven back on at the wall...the next fire alarm was less of a false alarm

I never cooked much at home so since I moved out last year I've pretty much started from scratch. Thankfully there haven't been any major disasters yet.

I think the worst thing I did was when baking some sort of chocolate cake. The recipe called for a cup of hot water. I poured a random amount of water into a pot to boil, and I intended to remove 1 cup for my needs. Of course I forgot and used all the water I had boiled (at least 2-3 times more than what I needed). I didn't realise until much later. I managed to eat a little bit of the cake but eventually gave up and threw it out. :welcome:

I also posted on another thread recently about my disaster trying to make a banana cake a couple of weeks. Although I'm pretty sure the burnt cake is due to my bad oven as I've had similar problems when baking other things.

I am a terrible cook, I can make the basics and believe me they are basic :smile2:

Its for my forever shame that my Da, my brothers and my sisters were/are chefs!, I think the cooking gene missed me :006:

I remember at school in Home Economics I finally made the perfect cake, it took me ages and I could not wait to take it home, it was cooling on my work station and my friend decided to throw her jacket on my work station which hit my cake, which skidded off the work station and went splat all over the floor! I was not impressed :welcome:

I've made heaps of muck-ups over the years, but my most recent was to get corned beef mixed up with a roast of beef (admitedly the label had worn off). I boiled the roast and I can tell you, there is nothing much worse than boiled beef with mustrard sauce :smile2:

I can remember at school when we had cooking lessons, that one of the girls when told to soften butter over hot water, poured the hot water INTO the butter and had to throw the whole lot away. And another girl tried to flush a disastrous meringue attempt down the loo but it persisted in floating on top. *whatever has that poor girl got wrong with her???? :welcome: *

Edited by poppy

I can remember at school when we had cooking lessons, that one of the girls when told to soften butter over hot water, poured the hot water INTO the butter and had to throw the whole lot away. And another girl tried to flush a disastrous meringue attempt down the loo but it persisted in floating on top. *whatever has that poor girl got wrong with her???? :welcome: *

:smile2: That brings back so many memories of home economics classes!

We were cooking in groups and I was fetching things from the fridge and cupboards and because our usual cooking table was full of everything I put some of the stuff on the sink table, near the sink where you wash stuff (because it was next to the cooking table) The sink table had been a little wet I guess because Kaija from my cooking group came over and asked "You didn't wash the cheese did you???" and when I took a look the cheese seemed a bit wet on top. I said "No!" quite defensively and she left. Then, I started to think to myself, hmmmm, was I supposed to wash the cheese?" (I mean like when you wash tomatoes and carrots before doing anything).

• 3 weeks later...

Many cooking mishaps :) I'm surprised I'm still allowed in the kitchen.

The most recent was when I was trying to make mint ice cream and oreo smoothies with my boyfriend and we had a classic blender-explodes-over-absolutely-everything moment. It got everywhere: on the ceiling, cupboards, cooker, floor and us.

I've also tried to make bannoch (spelling?) bread and put too much salt in and then burnt it so I ended up with a disgustingly salty rock-solid frisbee.

I'm generally a hazard zone anyway so mishaps in the kitchen are no suprise.

My latest was the other day, I was making casserole. It was nearly done so I thought I would turn down the heat and let it simmer for a while. What I actually did was turn the wrong dial, turning the ring next to the casserole on full. I also left the wooden spoon next to the ring.....

Cue odd burning smell that had me running for the kitchen.

It's not the first kitchen utensil I have ruined.....

One of the worst that I did was about 12-13 years ago....First I decided to make a roast for dinner. I also decided I might as well pop in a cake in the oven, for optimum use of my oven - very economical. But I put the cake mixture in a tin which was a bit too small, so when the mixture started to rise, some of mixture dripped onto the roast below......