Migraines / Headaches

Michelle

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had bad headaches for most of my life, often around my period, but then in about 1995 I experienced a full blown, nasty migraine, whilst on a night shift, and Glen had to come out and pick me up. (he wasn't happy when I threw up in his car! lol)

Since then I've had migraines of various intensity, as well as plenty of tension headaches. I've never been disciplined enough to keep a detailed headache diary, but I do seem to get more when I'm feeling stressed. My period is a 'danger' time.. outside of this time, I can generally get away with stress a bit more - if that makes sense?

I've also found that spending a day out in the summer seems to be a trigger, we've has proven to be quite a pain! I have to be generally careful in bright light, and I tend to wear sunglasses most of the year!

When it comes to analgesia for them, there wasn't much that worked - sometimes Tramadol would, and sometimes a combination of paracetamol, aspirin and caffeine. But often, I could everything going with no relief.

When I finally approached my GP about this, he tried me on amitriptyline, but the low dose seemed to cause more tension headaches for some reason, and the higher dose made me drowsy. He offered Sanomigran, but a friend of mine had become depressed on it, so that worried me.. and I can't take beta blockers, as my blood pressure is already rather low.

He then referred me to a Neurologist.. and he was useless!! LOL He tried me on Topamax, but the side effects from that one were horrendous!

I finally persuaded my GP to let try a triptan, and I just LOVE them.. 8 times out of 10, I take one, and after about an hour, the migraine goes.. completely! :tong: There are times that they don't work, and there are times where I'm probably mistaking a bad headache for a migraine, but on the whole they are very good.

Ok, that's enough rambling from me! :tong: I'd love to hear your stories and experiences. :smile2:

I get headaches from time to time, generally if I haven't been wearing my glasses enough.

I've only ever had 1 migrane, one sunday, just under a year ago, when I was at church! I threw up in the toilet, went for a walk outside, went back to church and threw up again! A friend had to take me home and there I slept for about 3 -4 hours. I hated it and for a few months I was really worried i'd get another one in a really awkward situation- it came on so suddenly!

I've had migraine headaches since I was 5. I inherited them from my mom, 3 of my children have inherited them from me. I've been through the mill medicine-wise. The worst was Cafergot which made me vomit every time I took it. I don't think they even prescribe the stuff anymore. I took Fiornal for some time but ended up with "rebound headches." The newer drug, Imitrex, made me vomit as well. I am now on a prevention and treatment regimen that works for me. I take amitriptylline at night as a preventative. When I have a mild, lingering headache, over-the-counter Excendrin wrokd pretty well. When I feel a major migraine coming on I take what is to me a miracle drug, Zomig ZMT. I take one pill and it disolves in my mouth. Within half an hour the headache is usually gone. One thing hat I especiallylike about Zomig is that it treats the nausea that accompanies my migraines.

My migraines are triggered by any things:

strong perfume

cigarette smoke

certain other drugs

onions

garlic

stress

eye strain

sun glare

hot weather

weather changes

motion sickness

my period used to trigger them, but I don't have to worry about that any more.:smile2:

Liz, mine also come from my mum. They're also present in my husband's family, so my poor girls probably don't stand much chance! My mum says that as soon as my periods started I got bad headaches around that time.

Zomig is a triptan, I take Maxalt, which also dissolves. The only 'good' thing about my migraines is that the nausea rarely gets very bad.. although it has on a couple of occasions.

Liz, mine also come from my mum. They're also present in my husband's family, so my poor girls probably don't stand much chance! My mum says that as soon as my periods started I got bad headaches around that time.

Zomig is a triptan, I take Maxalt, which also dissolves. The only 'good' thing about my migraines is that the nausea rarely gets very bad.. although it has on a couple of occasions.

Yeah. There's nothing worse than vomiting when your head is splitting is there?

Yeah. There's nothing worse than vomiting when your head is splitting is there?

As anyone who's ever had a hangover can say, no, there isn't.

I suffer from stress-related migraine. Back in high school I knew for a fact that as soon as the exam week was over, I'd be spending the evening in bed, high on migraine meds, talking to the pink elephants. They're much more rare these days. I don't know if I've learned to handle stress better or what.

A weird trigger: egg to an empty stomach. I can drink red wine (thank God!!), eat chocolate, all that. But eggs, first thing in the morning, and I'm out for the day.

I have to admit I'm really lucky as although I suffer from headaches, I have never had a migraine which I'm really thankful for.

I tend to get a really bad headache on a Monday and I believe I know the reason although I am just guessing. I think in my case it's dehydration. I drink numerous cups of tea when I'm at home - probably about one an hour (or maybe not quite) - but when I'm at work I tend to only drink water and even then only about the equivilent of about 2 or 3 cups of tea (maybe even less) and I think my body takes that one day to get used to the lack of tea. Well that's my theory anyway!

I get migraines an awful lot, they run in my family, but me and my aunt seem to get them more often and more painful than other members. I find they've become a lot more frequent as I've gotten older, which probably indicates that stress is a factor in inducing them, and when I was a lot younger I was told that coffee, cheese and dark chocolate are big triggers for me, so I don't drink coffee or eat dark chocolate, sadly I love cheese so I couldn't give that up if I wanted too :smile2: but I don't eat it often or in large amounts. I also think I have a problem with a muscle in the left side of my neck, if that is aching then I always get a migraine as a result. Sometimes 'cracking' that side of the neck relieves it and it tapers off, but mostly it's sleep that gets rid of them. Painkillers rarely work, not even the Migraleve ones which I tried last year, sometimes a hot sugary drink and something to eat helps, and sometimes a warm shower on my head and neck eases it a bit. But I get an awful lot of headaches, and I find if I spend a lot of time on the computer then the brightness of the screen turns it into a migraine, so I've been spending less time on the computer and more time reading in the hopes it brings down the frequency.

I don't get migraines but I do suffer from sinus headaces and the pain is right behind the eyes and above the nose. They are awful and can last for days on end. It feels like the whole front of your face is so sore right through to your teeth and jaw. I have to take a steriod nasal spray every day to keep the sinuses from becomming inflamed and if I get one I take a decongestant along with painkillers. If anyone else gets these I'd love to hear of any tips to ease them! :smile2:

Edited by Charm

*Raises hand* Fellow migraine sufferer here! I've had migraines since I was 6 or 7 - apparently my Mam found me curled up in a tight ball of pain in the bathroom, unable to move. As a migraine sufferer herself, she knew exactly what I was going through. My sister is also a sufferer. They became more regular when I got my periods (I was 11 when they started) when I got them at least once a month. Fortunately, since I got pregnant, they seem to have dropped off a fair bit. I only had two while pregnant and have only had one since Xander was born.

I don't have any one specific trigger, but I am more likely to get them when I'm stressed out. My sister's main trigger is bananas, which is a shame because she loves them!

I also have blackouts where I drop like a stone and am unconscious for anything between 30 seconds and 10 minutes. I've suffered these since my 2nd year at college and "they" have yet to find out why, although their latest thinking is that it's connected to my migraines and is an extreme example of one. I dunno...

I've yet to find anything that consistently works in helping with my migraines. At one point I was put onto a preventative pill (I can't remember the name of it), but the entire time I took it I suffered a constant low-grade headache that would not quit. Within a week of coming off it (I took myself off it), the headache was gone. I decided that even one humdinger of a migraine a month was better than a constant headache.

I live in hope of one day finding something that works for me, as at present, all I can do is take some codeine as soon as possible and lie down in a very dark, very quiet room in the hope that it helps (it doesn't always).

My symptoms vary with each migraine too - sometimes I feel dizzy and/or get floating blackspots or tunnel vision. Sometimes I can't stand light, other times it's sound or smells. Always, I get that stabbing, throbbing pain. The worst ones are when I feel sick. Fortunately, once I've thrown up I start to feel a little better, but I don't always throw up, so I end up just feeling incredibly sick as well as in pain. The shortest one I remember having was a couple of hours; the longest was almost 4 days.

When I reached my teens, I started getting migraines. I assume they were hormonal as I had one most months. Coffee, chocolate and cheese were also triggers, but so was bright sunlight, cold weather and skipping meals. I used to have migraines that went on for three days or more and all I wanted to do was sleep. After my first child was born the migraines were less frequent, and now I`m older, I rarely get them at all. I do however get a lot of bad headaches, and I feel as though I take far too many painkillers.

Of my three children two suffered migraines, my sons started at the age of 6 but stopped altogether when he got to, 11 or 12. My daughter started getting them at 13 but luckily for her she only gets, 3-4 a year.

Edited by pipread

My migraines are triggered by tiredness. I often have the threat of one where I lose half of my vision - which can be very scary when I am driving as this is my only truly functioning eye!! I've had these since about 7 yrs old.

I started getting migraines when I was about 10/11, and they've got steadily worse since then. When I first started getting them it was just a headache and pins and needles in my hands, and sometimes around my mouth and nose. Then I started getting auras, or flashing lights in my vision, which start off just annoying and little but gradually spread across my vision so I can barely see. With really bad attacks I can barely stand I have problems speaking- usually there is just the odd word that I can't stay no matter how hard I try, very occasionally I vomit which actually makes me feel better. I started off with things to take when I have an attack just paracetamol, then I talked to the doctor and tried a nose spray thing which didn't help, then Zomig which didn't help either. All that really helps is sleeping it off. Last year I was getting about 3 a month so went to the doctor again and she put me on sanomigran which seemed to at least lessen the number I was getting, although only back to usual so it may have been coincidence. I take migreleve too now which I actually has found the best to take when I get an attack actually, although it still doesn't stop them.

My triggers are tiredness, stress and eggs- but only if eaten alone, so I can't eat scrambled eggs which I used to love

I don't know if the headaches I get can be called migraines. But they are horrible and when I get them they can last up to two days making me sick to my stomach and really sensitive to light. They happen mostly when I've slept too long or I'm dehydrated. But sometimes they happen for no reason. When I get them I take three Excedrin Migraine formula, and that usually works, but sometimes doesn't. I end up curled up on the couch, the lights off, and moaning for hours.

Uh oh...I did sleep for a long time last night...I hope today isn't another bad day!

I used to get migraines on a regular basis when I was going through puberty (although they started when I was much younger) - they would always start with a tiny pin-prick sized dot in the front of my vision and within about half an hour I wouldn't be able to see at all.

All I had in my vision were those patterns like you get when you rub your eyes with your fists for some time - sort of geometric patterns - I'm not sure how else to describe them.

They usually came on at school and my Dad would have to come and pick me up and take me home.

The only thing I ever tried was Migraleve (sp?) but that didn't seem to help. My GP didn't want to prescribe anything as he said it was hormone related and that they would stop - and it's true that they've decreased in that I only suffer about one every two years now - thank God - but they're a killer.

The only thing to do is to be sick and then sleep in a darkened room for several hours.

Chocolate, cheese, tomatoes and oranges (only 'real' ones - I don't like orange flavour as the tartrazine (sp?) that used to go in orange squash was another trigger so I can't bare the smell/taste of artificial orange things) seem to be triggers - I have often craved them just before the onset of a migraine.

Hopefully after today's, I won't have another for a long time. I slept for a solid 5 hours today and then dozed until I got up at 8pm. Consequently I'm now wide awake, although at the same time I feel drained... :smile2:

I know just the feeling Janet I tend to sleep for ages then be awake but feel drowsy at the same time after mine, and then drowsy the next day or two, and my eyes are still sensitive then

I was always aware of when my migraines were approaching as my speech became unusual. For example, if I wanted to tell someone that their watch was in the bathroom, it would come out as their mattress is in the fridge. Very odd. I'd think 'Oh, ****, here's another one!' and I'd have to go straight to bed and stay there until about 24hours later. Debilitating, really. I'm glad I don't get them anymore. Twice a year, they used to come. Funny.

Oops. Sorry. I didn't think the alternative word for poo that begins with c and ends with rap was naughty. I've made a mental note. Won't happen again, Michelle. Sorry.:smile2:

Edited by Echo
merged :-)

Migraines run in my family as well.

Mum used to get really really bad ones but thankfully I take after my dad as we both get our eyes going first before any other symptoms so we have enough time to take pain killers before it gets any worse.

Normally ibruprofen works a treat for me and i'm ok again after about a hour. However if I don't take pain killers as soon as my eyes go on me I feel rough for ages.

Haven't worked out the trigger yet though.....

I have never had a migraine (Thank heavens!), but I did suffer terribly from tension headaches throughout my teens and twenties. I have them occasionally now, but not often.

Disturbed vision, aversion to smells and light, nausea, the works. Only relieved by dark, sleep and throwing up (in any order). The next day I would awaken bright eyed and ravenous.

I avoid milk things in the morning, as that was a definite trigger. I eat regularly. I very rarely drink alcohol (must be about 2 maybe 3 years since I last had a drink) and I take regular exercise.

I have a learnt that there is a 20 minute window at the start of a

stress/tension headache where I may be able to head it off ('scuse the pun), by dealing with the trigger/s - stress, lack of food, lack of hydration, aching neck.

It's been about 3 years since I was last floored by one. Phew!

Mine kind of run in the family, my auntie used to get them but they stopped when she was in her mid-twenties (so if I'm like her I shouldn't get them much longer). I know migraines put you at increased risk of brain hemorrhage though, which is why I can't take the pill, and that's what she died of which is slightly worrying

I have never had a migraine (Thank heavens!), but I did suffer terribly from tension headaches throughout my teens and twenties. I have them occasionally now, but not often.

Disturbed vision, aversion to smells and light, nausea, the works. Only relieved by dark, sleep and throwing up (in any order). The next day I would awaken bright eyed and ravenous.

That sounds pretty much like a migraine to me.. who told you they weren't, just out of interest?

I avoid milk things in the morning, as that was a definite trigger. I eat regularly. I very rarely drink alcohol (must be about 2 maybe 3 years since I last had a drink) and I take regular exercise.

I have a learnt that there is a 20 minute window at the start of a

stress/tension headache where I may be able to head it off ('scuse the pun), by dealing with the trigger/s - stress, lack of food, lack of hydration, aching neck.

It's been about 3 years since I was last floored by one. Phew!

That sounds pretty much like a migraine to me.. who told you they weren't, just out of interest?

I agree. It sounds exactly like a migraine.

I was going to say the same as Michelle - you've described here my exact same symptoms (except that throwing up usually (but not always) comes first) - right down to the ravenous bit!