Migraines / Headaches

Michelle

How old are you book fiend? Mine started when I was about 11, and they started getting worse when I was about 20, that's when I went on the pizitofen, and when I started getting hormone related ones (which the pill helped with, but now I'm not allowed on it).

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Intersting article in the Metro today:

Depression link to migraine gene

Depression and migraines may be caused by the same gene, research has shown.

And by understanding the shared cause, the treatment of each could be improved significantly.

Dr Trevor Turner, a consultant psychiatrist at St Bartholemew's and Homerton hospitals, said:

"This is a good stepping stone both in the social understanding of depression and its physical treatment.

"Half the battle with treating depression is getting people to overcome the stigma of mental illness. if it is linked to migraines they may begin to understand it better as a physical condition.

"What is also interesting is, if there is this common genetic cause between the two illnesses, we may be able to advance our treatment of migraines by looking at how they are affected by drugs we know ease depression - and vice-versa.

"These cross-treatments are certainly something that could be looked at to, hopefully quite quickly, improve the treatment offered to both conditions."

As many as 25 per cent of migraine sufferers also suffer from depression, the Dutch study found.

How old are you book fiend? Mine started when I was about 11, and they started getting worse when I was about 20, that's when I went on the pizitofen, and when I started getting hormone related ones (which the pill helped with, but now I'm not allowed on it).

I'm 26 and I've been having them since I was about 13. You sound quite similar to me. I've had 2 migraines since christmas, and 7 since the 17th September!

I've just got back from the doctors and he has given me some beta-blockers to be taken every day to try and stop my migraines, and some other tablets to take for when I get one. The headaches I get aren't always that bad, they just make me feel generally awful and incredibly tired.

My dad took beta-blockers for a while and he had to stop because they made him really tired and lethargic. The doctor has given me a months worth to see how I get on, then I have to go back.

When I left the doctors I wondered whether I should have mentioned that I had recently started taking a herbal rememdy (Agnus Castus) to help with PMT, as I started taking it just before my migraines got worse. However, a quick google search has suggested Agnus Castus to HELP relieve migraines so maybe they're not connected :friends0:

Edited by Book Fiend

Well had my appointment today, I have changed my drugs. I have to ween myself off pizitofen first though, which I am not looking forward to! My new one is Amitriptyline and it's actually an anti-depressant but works to reduce migraines in small quantities, I'm trying Rizatriptan too for when I actually get a migraine.

I used to get headaches, I called them hormonal migraines, with the ebb and flow of my cycle. That's long past now thankfully, but I still get the odd headache, mostly triggered by my head getting cold. So, I wear hats, practically 24/7 in the winter. Fortunately, here in the Southern U.S., we don't have long frigid winters, usually.

One mammoth monster of a headache I had was helped by of all things soaking my feet in as hot as I could stand it water. My Aunt said it was an old time remedy, and it did ease the pain to bearable status.

Book Fiend, please check with your doctor about that herbal remedy! Even when something is "natural", it can have side effects, or could be dangerous when taken with a medicine the doctor prescribes.

You could be accidentally doubling your intake of an ingredient.

Book Fiend, please check with your doctor about that herbal remedy! Even when something is "natural", it can have side effects, or could be dangerous when taken with a medicine the doctor prescribes.

You could be accidentally doubling your intake of an ingredient.

I agree so I've decided to stop taking my herbal remedy until I've checked it out with the doctor. I hope I'll be ok to start taking it again though because it really does seem to help with my PMT!

• 3 months later...

After noticing an increase in the frequency and duration of my migraines I went to see my GP this morning, I now have to stop my anti depressant (Fluoxetine) and start taking Allegron every night to try and prevent a migraine coming on. If that doesn't work she is going to put me on beta blockers. Here's hoping this works as nothing else seems to :lol: and I'm fed up of losing 2 - 3 days a month with them.

Good luck with that madcow. I'm on amitriptaline for mine now (which is actually an anti-depressant.) it seems to be working so far, I hadn't had any for a month, but then ran out and had 2 in the space of 5 days.

• 2 weeks later...

I've suffered horribly from migraines for years which really affected both my work and social life, making me very depressed about it. Last year, after a three day agony and vomiting-fest, I decided to be more pro-active rather than begging the doctor yet again for help.

My main trigger is stress, so I've taken steps to tackle that. I try not to get overwork and overwhelmed at work, which isn't always easy! As I hold the tension in my neck, I saw a chiropractor who would click my neck (I did worry my head would come off as she twisted and pulled but I was fine :D). I also go for massages when I've had a few stressy days at work and my neck and shoulders are like concrete.

I asked the doctors to put me on beta blockers too. I used to have lots of mini panicks, which would set my heart rate going and give me a migraine which I couldn't shift no matter how many drugs I took. The beta blockers have help stop those heads.

I kept a food diary for three months but couldn't find any trigger in my food, but Diet Coke is a cause. Grr as I used to love the stuff. Certain wines drunk on an empty stomach can trigger a mild one too. I'm assuming it's not a hangover as the meds won't shift it!

I always make sure I have a supply of triptains - either sumatriptain nasel sprays, which is a godsend as a vomiter, or imigram, which I buy over the counter at Boots if I run out.

I now take Fever Few too.

These little things have really helped. Although I'm not entirely free of them, the bad ones (with vomiting every hour, wanting to curl up and die) are rare. I still get mild migraines, but I can manage a day at work with them. I had six days of them in a row last week and I don't think I'll ever be free, but life could be so much worse so I can't complain.

I really sympathise with any other sufferer out there. It's not just a headache. It's agony. As I told my doctor, if I ever had a gun in my hand when I have one of my bad ones I'd put it to my head.

twinkle I think it's great you tried finding another way to help yourself instead of just using meds, cos it's always better not to use them if you don't really have to :D

Diet coke as well as alchohol - it increases the level of CO2 (an asphyxiant) in your blood, which causes low blood pressure as well as headaches. I'm pretty sure some CO gets involved here, but can't remember how exactly. Anyhow, CO being toxic and all...nuff said.

Headaches are a really horrible thing, especially when they last for a longer period of time. They leave you so exhausted, and helpless, and sometimes you just want to die to make it stop ...

Anyhow, good luck to all of you, hope you feel good ;)

Well I've been on the Nortriptyline for a week and a half and so far so good. I had a mild headache yesterday but I put that down to the weather - it was very close and humid and felt like a thunderstorm was on the way - it soon cleared with some painkillers ;)

If I can go a month without getting a migraine I will be well chuffed :D If not the next step for me is beta blockers.

• 1 month later...

Since my last post I've had about a dozen headaches, which I kept at bay with normal painkillers, and 2 migraines. Obviously the trigger for both these has been the recent upset of losing my brother combined with not eating and drinking properly. I was back at the doctors this week and she is pleased that the tablets are having some effect and agreed to continue using them.

I know I may never be migraine free but a reduction in their frequency is a bonus :blush:

Thanks Abby, there is certainly a noticable improvement, including them not lasting as long (the last one was only 12hrs).

Have you ever tried something physical like seeing a chiropractor or acupuncturist?

Have you ever tried something physical like seeing a chiropractor or acupuncturist?

No I haven't as my migraines are related to emotions, hormones, food and bright light. If I couldn't work out a reason then maybe it would be an option.

• 7 months later...

I agree so I've decided to stop taking my herbal remedy until I've checked it out with the doctor. I hope I'll be ok to start taking it again though because it really does seem to help with my PMT!

Try taking Pyridoxine to help with your PMT. It's basically a strong vit B tablet that you take every day. You can get it on prescription but you can also just ask for it over the counter at your pharmacist, approx. £3 for a month's worth. It's worth its weight in gold to me.