Migraines / Headaches

Michelle

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Touch wood I've not had a bad migraine for weeks, since I got the triptans! I carry them around but so far not had to take one. I have had loads of severe headaches (3 or 4 a week), not quite a migraine where I've had to go and lie down for a few hours. To me these are worse because I take painkillers and then when they don't work I can't take a triptan because of the painkillers I've already taken. The weather plays a key role in the headaches I get, the sun just doesn't agree with me, that and the reflections boucing of cars and windows etc.

To me these are worse because I take painkillers and then when they don't work I can't take a triptan because of the painkillers I've already taken.

Have you been specifically told not to combine? I often end up taking any combination of brufen, paracetamol and/or aspirin, then taking a triptan when they don't work!

I get really bad headaches just before and during my period. I get so ill at that time it's unbearable at times. A couple of times it's been so bad i throw up none stop! I do try though to drink a good amount, as i know my body is weaker than normal, and i'm losing a lot of fluid.

I hardly ever suffer from headaches, but eversince I hurt my shoulder last Friday I've been having the most terrible headaches. They start in my neck and then goes right around my head. They're also worse in the mornings. When I wake up I can barely move my head, because it aches so much. It's really very unpleasant. :lol:

Have you been specifically told not to combine? I often end up taking any combination of brufen, paracetamol and/or aspirin, then taking a triptan when they don't work!

Yes I was told not to take the triptan within 6 hours of any other painkillers, but it's getting to the point where I might just ignore that and try taking one if the others haven't worked. Ended up in bed at 9 last night with another bad head, I can't class it as migraine because I wasn't sick and no light sensitivity but it was bad. All I can put it down to is the weather, I didn't have any 'trigger' foods and don't feel stressed which are the 2 main causes. :lol:

In the last couple of weeks I've started getting big bright white patches that go across my vision, I've never had these before and now all of a sudden I'm getting them numerous times a day, I do have a headache, but not a migraine really. Just had a opticians appt so I know it's nothing physically wrong with my eyes, any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Fianlly got round to taking one of the triptans on Saturday and it didn't work ;) I was expecting it to make me feel drowsy at least but all I got was a bit of blurred vision for about 5 mins and did nothing for the pain. Ah well back to the old way a few co-codamols and bed. It seems sleep is the only thing that shifts my migraines eventually.

Jules, don't give up on them.. they don't always work on mine (about 90% of the time, I guess). However, they also say that if one type doesn't work, there's an 80% chance that another one will. It really is worth it.. the joy of feeling that pain go is great! ;)

Thanks Michelle I won't give up yet I've still got 7 more left, if after that I've had no success I will be going back to try something different.

I think I may have worked out why I get so many headaches....PMT! I've been keeping a log for the last few weeks of when I get them and so far it tallies. Will monitor it for a while longer before going to GP's.

Edited by madcow
added a bit

• 4 months later...

I've had a pretty rubbish day. I got a migraine while on the bus today so had to turn round and go back home. Then had an argument with my vice-manager because I phoned in half an hour before my shift started, I'm sure you'll understand I couldn't have phoned earlier. She was like 'you must have known before' and 'it is a migraine isn't it, not just a headache' (one of my pet hates is people saying they have a migraine when it's just a headache, so this made me annoyed on a whole other level). And even though I was apologising and said if I could have phoned earlier and I understood that it made things hard for her she was still saying it was unacceptable. It made me upset at the time, but now I'm more angry.

I got my first blinding migraine January 1, 1996 and it was consistent for almost 2 years only to drop down to about 2 dozen a year. I worked at a hotel in security and it got so bad one day that my employer had to put me up in a room til someone could come and take me home. I was on all kinds of meds and have even passed out several times (twice in church:blush:)

I started with a chiropractor a little over a year ago and I can honestly say that while I was seeing him, my migraines and headaches disappeared. We havent been able to afford for me to go back and I have since noticed an increase in the headaches. One day I'll be able to go back. The doctor showed me how my spine was out of alignment which caused excessive pressure on the back of my head and my neck. If I hadnt experienced it for myself, I wouldnt have believed that having a "crack" doctor adjust my spine would work!

• 1 month later...

I'm just getting over another migraine, the worst one for a long time. It is definately related to my 'cycle'. No painkillers worked, everything I took made me sick so just had to take to my bed. This morning I just feel like a zombie but hopefully the worst is over.

Am going to the doctors this week about my migraines, because despite recently upping my dose of pizitofen I've had 2 migraine since Christmas. Last time I was told the only other drugs I could try were beta blockers, which would make me tired, or epilepsy meds which carry all kinds of side effects.

Am thinking of trying something new for when I actually get a migraine too, even if it's just enough to last me till the end of my shift at work that would be great (but probably a bit optimistic).

I sympathise with all of you :lol:

I've actually got an appointment at the doctors tomorrow about my migraines. I started getting them when I was about 13 but I only ever got about 6 a year, since September though I've been getting about one a fortnight (I even had one chistmas day :D) I thought it best to get it checked out (actually my mum made me....)

They're not always really bad, but even the not-so-bad ones make it impossible to work. I used to go home from work whenever I had one, but I can't really go home once a fortnight!! The problem is even the next day I feel so grotty.