Pancake Day/Shrove Tuesday

BrainFreeze

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww Chimera, Ben and Charm :lol: Nice topping though Charm!

Mmmm Chrissi, Nutella...*salivates*

What did you have on yours Michelle?

I made some for me and the boys (other half is still at work so will make him some later). We had chopped banana, vanilla ice-cream, chocolate sauce and sprinkles on ours.:D V nice they were too!

We've just had some, I just prefer sugar and lemon but hubby and the kids like fresh oranges or blackcurrant on theirs.

I don't think I will be giving anything up for lent - maybe chocolate I usually put it in a tin till Easter but I will have to hide it well, hubby has a very sweet tooth :lol:

Why is today pancake day? Where does the tradition come from?

It is a christian tradition... During the 40 days before easter (the 'lent' period) you're meant to eat less, give up things like chocolate/ sweets/ cake/ maybe even meat... So on the day before lent starts you stock up on pancakes *laughs* Badly explained but that's basically it.

We've just had some, I just prefer sugar and lemon but hubby and the kids like fresh oranges or blackcurrant on theirs.

I don't think I will be giving anything up for lent - maybe chocolate I usually put it in a tin till Easter but I will have to hide it well, hubby has a very sweet tooth :lol:

Brave woman!

I understand about Lent and everything (hey, I was raised Catholic...we do it like no one else), but I had never heard about eating pancakes the day before Ash Wednesday. We just celebrate Mardi Gras over here.

I understand about Lent and everything (hey, I was raised Catholic...we do it like no one else), but I had never heard about eating pancakes the day before Ash Wednesday. We just celebrate Mardi Gras over here.

Well that must just be a difference between countries then. For us pancakes are an essential part of Mardi gras.

From the depths of my memory, in a dusty box somewhere, I think the tradition comes from fasting for lent. When people used to fast, the day before, they used up all the remaining ingredients from their cupboards to make pancakes.

From Wiki

The festival is widely associated with the eating of foods such as pancakes, and often known simply as Pancake Day, originally because these used up ingredients such as fat and eggs, the consumption of which was traditionally restricted during Lent.

Yes to the pancakes, as long as they are sweet :lol:

Have to admit, I don't "do" lent. I don't really have anything left to give up - I don't smoke, I very rarely drink and my chocolate consumption is WAY down since I decided to shift the excess weight NOW. If I give up anything else, life will be very dull indeed - the only things I have left to give up are reading and cross stitch and I'm just not willing to do that! :lol:

I made some for me and the boys (other half is still at work so will make him some later). We had chopped banana, vanilla ice-cream, chocolate sauce and sprinkles on ours.:) V nice they were too!

Ohhh, that sounds even better!!!! :)

But I still feel sick :D

I'm actually not religious at all but I could try to do the lent thing for my diet :lol:

Giving up meat wouldn't be a problem as I'm veggi anyway, but I'm eating far too much chocolate right now!

We'll see how that goes...:D