Pip's Reads...

pipread

Tuesdays With Morrie ~ Mitch Albom

from the back of the book:

Maybe it was a grandparent, a teacher or a colleague. Someone older, patient and wise, who helped you when you were young and impassioned, helped you to see the world as a more profound place, and gave you sound advice to guide your way through it. For Mitch Albom, it was Morrie Schwartz, the college professor who had taught him nearly twenty years before.

Perhaps like Mitch, you lost track of this mentor as the years passed, the insights faded, and the world seemed colder. Wouldn`t you like to see that person again, to ask the bigger questions that still haunt you, and receive wisdom for your busy life the way you once did when you were younger?

Mitch Albom got that second chance, rediscovering Morrie in the last months of the older mans life. Their rekindled relationship turned into one final "class"; lessons in how to live. Tuesdays With Morrie is a magical chronicle of their time together.

My thoughts,

Tuesdays With Morrie is a work of non-fiction, and tells of the final months of a unique man, with an incurable illness of the neurological system.

Morrie refused to feel sorry for himself, instead he continued to help others, by doing what he did best talking and listening and sharing.

I found this book thought provoking, happy and sad all at the same time.

What an amazing man Morrie Schwartz was, in an ideal world we would all live by his principles.

I really enjoyed reading this book although there were times I couldn`t see through the tears. This was the second Mitch Albom book I`ve read and I really like his style of writing, I`ll be looking out for more books by him.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Books I`ve read recently,

Third Degree - Greg Iles

This didn`t grip me as much as other books by Greg Iles, but it was pretty good all the same. 7/10

For One More Day - Mitch Albom

I really like Mitch Albom`s writing style. This book reminded me of The Five people You Meet in heaven, and maybe I shouldn`t have read it so soon after reading that one. However I still enjoyed this book though and I look forward to reading more books by him. 8/10

The Secret Scripture - Sebastian Barry

Set in Ireland this tells the story of Roseanne who is nearly 100 years old and has spent many of those years in a mental hospital. Psychiatrist Dr Grene tries to find out why she was committed all those years ago.

A very good story and one I stumbled upon by accident but I`m very glad I did, I`ll be looking for more books by Sebastian Barry. 9/10

• 4 months later...

I hadn't realised it had been so long since I was here! :blush:

However here's the books I've read recently, (ones I can remember anyway) I've discovered two authors who were new to me and whom I've really enjoyed, they are:

Linda Fairstein and Linda La Plante, both crime/thriller writers.

Red Dahlia - Linda La Plante, brilliantly fast paced thriller.

Silent Scream - Linda La Plante, another good story more about the policework involved in catching a killer.

Entombed - Linda Fairstein brilliant, loved this book, the first I'd read from this author.

Bad Blood - Linda Fairstein another good one!

Killer Heat - Linda Fairstein can she write anything bad? don't think so!

Hell Gate - Linda Fairstein Once again a great read, really enjoyed it.

Blood Vines - Erica Spindler She didn't disappoint me!

Dexter is Delicious - Jeff Lindsay Not my favourite Dexter story but I enjoyed it, and it showed a different side of Dexter, I'm glad I read it. :)

However here's the books I've read recently, (ones I can remember anyway) I've discovered two authors who were new to me and whom I've really enjoyed, they are:

Linda Fairstein and Linda La Plante, both crime/thriller writers.

Blood Vines - Erica Spindler She didn't disappoint me!

Dexter is Delicious - Jeff Lindsay Not my favourite Dexter story but I enjoyed it, and it showed a different side of Dexter, I'm glad I read it. :)

Hi pipread! How are ya? :hug:

Glad to hear Linda Fairstein is good, I have a couple of hers on my shelves :D

I haven't ready any Erica Spindler that's disappointed me either! Always a good thriller ;)

I almost ordered Dexter today, just almost. I decided I wanted to finish the Anita Blake series first to get it out of the way, so I ordered the next 4 in that series instead! Oh and I've decided I want to re-read the Dexter books first ;)

Hi pipread! How are ya? :hug:

Glad to hear Linda Fairstein is good, I have a couple of hers on my shelves :D

I haven't ready any Erica Spindler that's disappointed me either! Always a good thriller ;)

I almost ordered Dexter today, just almost. I decided I wanted to finish the Anita Blake series first to get it out of the way, so I ordered the next 4 in that series instead! Oh and I've decided I want to re-read the Dexter books first ;)

Hi Charm I'm feeling good thanks, how's you? I'm glad to see your enjoying your reading. Linda Fairstein is great, you'll agree I know when you come to read her, I really like the characters and can't wait to see what happens with them, I really can't remember caring so much about characters before! Enjoy Dexter when you come to read them again. :friends3:

I'm a big Linda Fairstein fan, I love her characters, settings and plots. I'm yet to read any Erica Spindler though, despite hearing her name a lot.

I can't believe how much I care about the characters! Linda Fairstein really knows how to write a good story.

You really should try Erica Spindler's Copycat, it got me hooked on her and she hasn't disappointed me yet.

I am on my second Linda Farstein - Entombed and I am quite enojying it the only one I read before wasn't as good. Have read a few Erica Spindlers not sure I have read that one though.

Entombed was the first Linda Fairstein book I read and I couldn't wait to read more of her work, hope you continue to enjoy it. :)

Blood Vines is a newish book, I always enjoy Erica Spindler.

Just before I go, have any of you read Erica's 'In Silence' ? It reminded me a great deal of a Karin Slaughter style read, really good! :D

No I haven't, but I'll definately check it out, thanks Charm. :)

If a book is like Karin Slaughter you know it is a must for me!!! ;)

Can you believe I haven't read any Karin Slaughter :blush: I've got 3 of hers on the shelf ready though. I've heard good things about Karin.

One of my favourite authors. I have her new one right beside me on my bedside table. I read a little bit on the coach back from Rocky horror and I loved it. I have unfortunately books I have had to read, but it is the second in line to be read, and I can't wait!

You have to read them in order, to get all what is going on. As you see the main characters progress.

If a book is like Karin Slaughter you know it is a must for me!!! ;)

It definitely is, you'll like it! :exc:

Can you believe I haven't read any Karin Slaughter :blush: I've got 3 of hers on the shelf ready though. I've heard good things about Karin.

I cannot believe you haven't read any Slaughter books!! You've got to read her first asap,! :lol:

One of my favourite authors. I have her new one right beside me on my bedside table. I read a little bit on the coach back from Rocky horror and I loved it. I have unfortunately books I have had to read, but it is the second in line to be read, and I can't wait!

You have to read them in order, to get all what is going on. As you see the main characters progress.

I've made a list of the books I need and will be looking out for them most definately. I'm looking forward to discovering how good she is. :)

I cannot believe you haven't read any Slaughter books!! You've got to read her first asap,! :lol:

:( Hangs head in shame! Lol.

I'm headed to the nearest bookshop list in hand and I won't be back `til I've found the first one at the very least. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West- Gregory Maguire

from Amazon.

The novel that inspired the hit Broadway musical.

When Dorothy triumphed over the Wicked Witch of the West in L. Frank Baum's classic tale, we heard only her side of the story. But what about her arch-nemesis, the mysterious witch? Where did she come from? How did she become so wicked? And what is the true nature of evil? Gregory Maguire creates a fantasy world so rich and vivid that we will never look at Oz the same way again. Wicked is about a land where animals talk and strive to be treated like first-class citizens, Munchkinlanders seek the comfort of middle-class stability and the Tin Man becomes a victim of domestic violence. And then there is the little green-skinned girl named Elphaba, who will grow up to be the infamous Wicked Witch of the West, a smart, prickly and misunderstood creature who challenges all our preconceived notions about the nature of good and evil.

I read this a few weeks back so I'll just say that Oz will never be the same again!

Giving us Elphaba's history is such a brilliant idea, the characters are well written and believable and the Land of Oz is shown warts and all!

8/10

Just One Look - Harlan Coben

from Amazon

Grace Lawson is living a happy, straightforward life in the suburbs with her husband, Jack, and two young children. But that security is about to come to a brutal end. For when Grace picks up a set of holiday snaps, amongst them is one shot that doesn't fit: a faded image of a life that Grace doesn't recognise and of her husband as she never knew him. Within twelve hours, Jack has disappeared, a brutal hitman is stalking her family and the safe world she knows has been turned upside down. And all Grace can see is that the past is coming back to haunt the present and people are getting hurt...

I'm not sure why but it took me a while to get into this book,I think it was a bit "samey" at times, however once I did get into it I found it fast paced and easy to read.

7/10

Killer Takes All - Erica Spindler

Synopsis (from Amazon)

When a friend is found murdered in her New Orleans apartment, Stacy Killian, a former Dallas homicide detective, suspects that the killing could be related to a violent fantasy role-playing game called White Rabbit.

I really like Erica Spindler and find her books fast paced and exciting.

This book didn't disappoint, there were lots of twists and plenty of suspects to keep you guessing, I did guess correctly quite early on, but enjoyed this never the less. An easy read - perfect holiday reading really, if you like thrillers.

8/10

I have this on my TBR pile, I am going to start reading her first book really soon and I can't wait.

Great review. That one sounds fantastic.

Thanks CW :) I'm sure you won't be disappointed with Erica Spindler, she is very good so enjoy!

Just to echo catwoman's and Charm's wise words: you must try Karin Slaughter's novels, she's probably my favorite crime/thriller author after Jeffery Deaver! Awesome books :smile2: Just be careful you read them in the correct order.

Thank you Frankie I'm ready to start Karin Slaughter, Blindsighted will probably be my next read, I went out with my list to make sure I got the order right!

I been wanting to read a mystery series for a while, that sounds interesting. Are there several books? I've also heard a ton of good things about the Karin Slaughter novels and so want to read those.

Hello Rose, Killer Takes All is the second book in the Stacy Killian series, the first book is See Jane Die.

I particularly enjoyed Copycat and Breakneck which form another series. Erica Spindler has written quite a few novels as well. I would definately recommend you try her out. :)

Thank you Frankie I'm ready to start Karin Slaughter, Blindsighted will probably be my next read, I went out with my list to make sure I got the order right!

Glad to hear this! :D Blindsighted is an excellent place to start and one of my favourite Slaughter books.

Killer Takes All is the second book in the Stacy Killian series, the first book is See Jane Die.

I particularly enjoyed Copycat and Breakneck which form another series. Erica Spindler has written quite a few novels as well. I would definately recommend you try her out. :)

I'm glad you said this. I have See Jane Die on my shelves which the lovely Lexiepiper sent me, I didn't even realise it was the first of a series so it's nice to know ;) I recently read and loved Copycat and Breakneck too, you can hardly go wrong with an Erica Spindler book :D

Glad to hear this! :D Blindsighted is an excellent place to start and one of my favourite Slaughter books.

I'm glad you said this. I have See Jane Die on my shelves which the lovely Lexiepiper sent me, I didn't even realise it was the first of a series so it's nice to know ;) I recently read and loved Copycat and Breakneck too, you can hardly go wrong with an Erica Spindler book :D

It's good to hear Blindsighted is one of your favourites, I'm looking forward to finding out just how good Karin Slaughter is. :)

Happy to help! :D

I'm so glad I was introduced to Erica Spindler she is very good and as you say it seems you can't go wrong with her. :)

Edited by pipread

The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

from Amazon

Hidden in the heart of the old city of Barcelona is the 'cemetery of lost books', a labyrinthine library of obscure and forgotten titles that have long gone out of print. To this library, a man brings his 10-year-old son Daniel one cold morning in 1945. Daniel is allowed to choose one book from the shelves and pulls out "The Shadow of the Wind" by Julian Carax. But as he grows up, several people seem inordinately interested in his find. Then, one night, as he is wandering the old streets once more, Daniel is approached by a figure who reminds him of a character from The Shadow of the Wind, a character who turns out to be the devil. This man is tracking down every last copy of Carax's work in order to burn them. What begins as a case of literary curiosity turns into a race to find out the truth behind the life and death of Julian Carax and to save those he left behind. A page-turning exploration of obsession in literature and love, and the places that obsession can lead.

my thoughts

A book that has everything.

Suspense, strong characters, murder, mystery, romance and more! all wrapped up in the 403 pages of this beautifully written novel.

I enjoyed every page of this book, some of the writing was wonderful, here's a little example:

"A lineup of ladies with their virtue for rent - and a lot of mileage on the clock - greeted us with smiles that would only have excited a student of dentistry"

I can't remember who on BCF recommended this book but I am very grateful to them.

It is a very readable book and it's so easy to lose oneself in it's pages, as I said before it has just about everything.

I'll definately be seeking out more books from this author. :)

another quote from Shadow of the Wind that gives pause for thought I think...... :wink:

"...Bea says that the art of reading is slowly dying, that it's an intimate ritual, that a book is a mirror that offers us only what we all ready carry inside us, that when we read, we do it with all our heart and mind and great readers are becoming more scarce by the day."

I highly recommend this book. :readingtwo:

Edited by pipread

• 1 month later...

I don't seem to have read very much in the past month, but I did read and enjoy:

The Burning Wire - Jeffery deaver Another good Lincoln Rhymes story, I did find it tricky trying to follow all the electricity jargon, but it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the book.

Blindsighted - Karin Slaughter Very good, fast paced thriller

Kisscut - Karin Slaughter Another good read!

The First Casualty - Ben Elton The first book I'd read by Ben Elton but it won't be the last. It was a fast paced story, set in WW1, quite sad at times but with a touch of humour as well. Well written characters and plenty of action.

What to read next? that's the question! :rolleyes:

Hey Pipread! :hug:

So pleased to see you've enjoyed the Karin Slaughter books, her earlier stuff is brilliant! Erica Spindler's 'In Silence' is a bit like a Slaughter book, so you may like that one too, but then you already know how good Spindler is! ;)