Harry Potter or Twilight Saga?

lola-rose

Arggg...I really dont know. Help me choose, leave me comments saying which ones your fav & why Harry Potter and Twilight. Well I defo love the characters in Twilight (especialy Edward) but in Harry Potter I love what happens - all the magic. Please help me decide. JK Rowling and Stephanie Meyer go head to head. Who is the best writer ?

Edited by Kell
Added capitals

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only read the first Twilight book but all the same I say the Harry Potter books are much better. Bella irritates me with all her 'oh Edward is great, Edward is perfect, I love Edward' stuff. The story was quite good, but I didn't think it was especially well written, it put me in mind of fanfic (and I have actually read better fanfic). I know I wouldn't pay for the rest of the books, but I would read them if they were free, there is something about them which makes them very readable.

Harry Potter on the other hand. Maybe not literary genius, but I love the stories. It really gets you thinking and has hidden depths. Even the characters I don't like have a sort of intriguing quality which makes them interesting if not likeable

This is an interesting question and unfortunately one that I can't answer yet. I do have the Stephenie Meyer books waiting to be read (will be reading Twilight next in fact) but one thing I will say is that they will have to be completely mind-blowing to even compete with the Harry Potter books let alone beat them.

I don't see the basis for comparison, to be honest. Are they similar in any way, other than being hyped up kids books you either love or love-to-hate? (None of which has anything to do with the story/structure, or, thus, the basis for comparison.)

Harry Potter has a wider appeal, as it will appeal to younger children, and is suitable to be read to them by parents, as well as being a more "fairy tale" style of story which most people can appreciate - hence the immense adult fandom for the series.

Twilight, meanwhile, has a much narrower demographic, and is more likely to appeal to teenage girls, although it has obviously attracted older fans. I'm not saying that other groups won't appreciate it, but it's more commonly linked to female fans and particularly younger ones.

On a critical point, I would say that the Harry Potter series are the better written books. I think everyone I know who has read the Twilight series and enjoyed it, would admit that there are major flaws with the writing itself, but that the story captivated them enough to overcome the issues they had. Having said that, personally I felt the HP series peaked at book three, possibly because after that J.K. Rowling had started to make serious amounts of money, and the series had become such a phenomenon that I suspect the publishers and editors didn't want to say anything against their biggest moneymaking author.

*hides from potter fans for fear of backlash* :roll:

I think Harry Potter, hands down. Twilight has major writing flaws, and although the plot is enough to sustain me, I don't think it compares to HP.

I've only read Twilight, but I attempted to continue with the series and found out that I could not quite do so at the moment (we'll see if I manage to get my hand wrapped around it later on). However, from what I did read, and from reading the HP series, I'd vote for Harry Potter.

Well I've read and love both series, but like Roxi says, they're nothing alike. I love them both in completely different ways, and so couldn't compare.

:eek:

I'm such a huge fan of both but like them for completely different reasons. I think I love Twilight more but I'm not sure I'd choose it over Harry Potter as I'm so fond of it, if that makes sense?

I'd rather Edward over Harry any day though :friends0:

On a critical point, I would say that the Harry Potter series are the better written books. I think everyone I know who has read the Twilight series and enjoyed it, would admit that there are major flaws with the writing itself, but that the story captivated them enough to overcome the issues they had. Having said that, personally I felt the HP series peaked at book three, possibly because after that J.K. Rowling had started to make serious amounts of money, and the series had become such a phenomenon that I suspect the publishers and editors didn't want to say anything against their biggest moneymaking author.

*hides from potter fans for fear of backlash* :eek:

Well put about the writing style of the Twilight books.

I personally loved both series of books for very different reasons.

With HP I felt that I grew with the character and knew his every thought and feeling and when I got to the last book I was so deeply involved with the characters and loved them all - I think that's the sign of a brilliant writer.

With Twilight series, it was the unusual love story that captivated me (i can't stand slushy frothy chick lit love stories lol) and that made me want to know so much about each character. There are flaws with the spelling and sometimes the grammer etc but I can forgive Meyer that as she wrote such a fabulous series :friends0:

"Valley Twilight author Stephenie Meyer felt the sharp sting of a poison-tipped Stephen King barb when the horror writer spoke recently to USA Weekend, comparing Meyer to Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling. "Both Rowling and Meyer, they're speaking directly to young people. . . . The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good." But King softened the blow, adding, "People are attracted by the stories, by the pace, and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it's very clear that she's writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books" (Sourced from Google!)

Ouch.

I think he favours Harry Potter. :blush:

"Valley Twilight author Stephenie Meyer felt the sharp sting of a poison-tipped Stephen King barb when the horror writer spoke recently to USA Weekend, comparing Meyer to Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling. "Both Rowling and Meyer, they're speaking directly to young people. . . . The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good." But King softened the blow, adding, "People are attracted by the stories, by the pace, and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it's very clear that she's writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books" (Sourced from Google!)

Ouch.

I think he favours Harry Potter. :blush:

:blush: Well that was very kind of him!

I agree with him actually. The pace of Twilight is good, and it's a very sure romance, Bella is sure about her love for Edward, even though he's a vampire, and he's painted as perfect, he dazzles her. Then there's that he wants to protect her- even from himself. It's not realistic but it's kind of like the handsome prince in fairytales it's what teenagers want romance to be

• 3 months later...