Cross stitch

lexiepiper

I do the same, Angel. Also, previously I used to knot my threads, but I'm doing it "properly" this time round and jst sewing the ends into the back of the stitches to keep them secure - far neater now! Am quite pleased with myself improving like this! One of these days I'll get onto more complicated projects like yours once I progress a bit more and gain more confidence... :)

You'll find that when you mount the pictures or use them as part of another item (eg clothing, ) the overall finish is more pristine and professional looking. Pictures tend to be flatter within the frame

Keep up the practice - once Xander starts playschool you'll have a few more hours to embark on a bigger project, then there'll be no stopping you

Oh you are all good and dedicated - well done all of you! :roll:

I do at least start neatly by using a single piece of thread and then fold in 2 leaving a loop at the end, I then thread the 2 loose ends through the needle and start the first stitch and then do the first diaganol stitch and when the needle goes through the back I put the needle through the loop of the thread and I find this works well.

That's a great way of keeping the back neat - ideal for tablecloths / runners where the back will be on view - best to get in the habit now :D

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh you are all good and dedicated - well done all of you! :roll:

I do at least start neatly by using a single piece of thread and then fold in 2 leaving a loop at the end, I then thread the 2 loose ends through the needle and start the first stitch and then do the first diaganol stitch and when the needle goes through the back I put the needle through the loop of the thread and I find this works well.

I do that too :) less fiddling

Ladderback_Chair_Bookmark.jpg
At last it has arrived, wasn't very impressed by how long it took to get here, but after an email it arrived 1st class post today. Looking at it, it doesn't look complicated at all and to be honest was a bit expensive for what I actually got....hey ho never mind. I will have fun doing it eventually and the colours are a bit different to what it looked too.

I'm looking for a new cross-stitch and haven't found one yet. All the ones I have come across have been either baby ones (with the date of birth and name etc), tiny ones or too expensive. I'm going to try hobbycraft at the weekend to see if I can find one.

I started my third project today - another Textile Heritage bookmark, this tim ut's the Victorian Lavender one. :friends0: Lovely subtle colours in it, so I'm looking forward to seeing it completed! :irked:

How about these for book fans

Steph - There is a wee shop down the road from me has kits, also picked up some kits on craft magazines, have some cross stitch books and loads of threads and have done my own.

I done a Me to You one for my sisters birthday last year. i hated the backstiching part with all the fur sticking out though, was so tedious. I just have the back stitching left to do on a Popcorn bears one for my Mom for Mothers day, and guess what? it has the same fur back stitching! in my defence i did buy them all at the same time so didnt realise what a pain it would be lol

I do really enjoy cross stitching and have done a fair few over the years but cant do as much as i like because i have problems with my wrist. also hurts my neck sometimes too-anyone use anything when stitching to stop neck ache?

I was out buying stuffing, variagated flosses and buttons today so I can have a go at doing some biscornu (I think I'll make them into Xmas tree decorations). I thought I'd do each of them in one colour, or two colours (one each side) in lovely variagated floss colours so they'd have different tones through them - hopefully they'll turn out lovely! I've been wanred that biscornu can become addictive as they're lovely little projects that don't take up too much time to do...

I make my own patterns. Why, I am not sure, but I need to create something from inside of me.

I was so terrible at cross stich when first I started that I thought I should just use each peace to clean windows with, the twist doesn't leave streak!.

But with practise and in times of quiet I learned to make my stitiches look uniform and pretty, and because I paint a great deal, I prefer oils but for sure they are messy and the smell gets to me so I use a lot of acrylic-I became better and better at the shades and feeling of the piece.

But I have noticed that the people who's work I admire the most are gentlemen. They are amazing and adventurous, and very bold. Then I must hide mine. :shrug:

But I have noticed that the people who's work I admire the most are gentlemen. They are amazing and adventurous, and very bold. Then I must hide mine. :)

Up until recently I'd never seen or heard of any guys cross stitching and perhaps because of this, (probably slightly sexist of me - oops!), I'd always thought of it as a particularly female passtime, although I don't know why because I know that my Dad can both knit and sew (he learned when he was in the RAF, although he doesn't tend to use those skills!). When I first heard of guys cross stitching too, my reaction was, "That's wonderful!" It's something that can and should be enjoyed by anyone. :)

I've been working out a simple design to make Xander a biscornu-style toy with his initials on it and a bell inside so it makes a nice, tinkly sound. He seems to like bells. :) You can probably tell that, although I've yet to make one, I'm becoming slightly obsessed with biscornu! I just think they look so lovely.

Xander, that sounds so lovely on the tongue, non?

Your papa can knit, how postively wonderful.

There is this place, huge and quite abominal in our village where you can go to find just about anything vintage you can think of. The trouble is there is a carpet on the floor and I am sure nothing like a vacuum has touched it in fifty years. So, if you wear a surgical mask and gloves(no I am not joking) you can find patterns for everything from so long ago and some are exquisite, just unbelievable and not a few a little fragile.

But now, in these times one can photocopy, after autoclaving in the oven at low temperatue to kill dustmites and probably the Plague, and then you have a wealth of too beautiful opportunities to re create something the genteel ladies did once in the morning rooms after breakfast while the fire was burning and the sun streamed through the high windows. ah, so romantic.

I was browsing the internet and just HAD to treat myself to four cross stitch books from Amazon Marketplace:

Four Seasons in Cross Stitch (Cross Stitch Collection) by Gail Bussi

Fairy Tales in Cross Stitch by Christina Marsh

Donna Kooler's 555 Fabulous Cross Stitch Patterns by Donna Kooler

Cross-stitch Book by Mary Gostelow

There'll be no stopping me now!

Hoora! I actually made time to do some of my bookmark today....getting there, mostly the outline backstitch stuff now I will finish it one of these days :)

Finished all the stitching of my bookmark, just have to figure out how to put the backing on, have to cut it to shape a bit and then stitch a piece of ribbon to the back. This is the part that I hate doing the finishing off bit, that is why a few projects get abandoned!

I found this good site Cross Stitch Centre . Loads of lovely things. Some nice bookmarks etc. Think I noticed some of Kell's projects in here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I told you didn't I.....didn't finish it off I have started my new Bookmark now did half the chair. last night before I went to bed!! It isn't going to take long, very simple and comes with a card to enclose it in so no fiddly finishing off. I still think it is quite expensive for the kit, as there isn't really that much to it. Must look through my books and start making up my own I think. Getting the bug again now....thanks for getting me back to it guys.

Edited by Inver