Cross stitch

lexiepiper

I've finished the reversible cushion for my Grom and am busy doing a bookmark for a bookish buddy right now. I've abandoned the sampler I was doing for my Mam though - I've had to frog the stitches so many times that I'm hearily fed up with it. I might go back to it in time fo rit to be given to her next Xmas (or maybe the one after that - LOL!). The afghan I'm doing to Xander won't be ready in time for Xmas, but it wll do just as well for his 2md birthday, giving me plenty of time to finish it. :tong: I also made my 15-sided biscornu into a lavendar-scented pomander for my Step-Mum.

This are the only stitchy gifts I've done for this year, but I've also stitched a handful of cards for close family members.

I'll certainly be doing more next year. I'm planning on doing a bunch of guest towels that say things like "Wash your damn hands!" for my sister next year - perhaps for her birthday if theyr'e done in time (end of May) or, if not, for Xmas. I think she'd get a kick out of those. :exc:

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought loads of stuff to stitch Christmas cards and have only managed to make two so far.

I love to stitch but I find it difficult in the low light conditions. Even with a lamp, I strain my eyes. I hope to finish a couple more though and next year I'll start earlier.

I think I've made 10 Xmas cards so far and I have another couple partially done (although I'm not so sure either of those will get finished as I've already gone off them). I got a cute little free kit on a magazine yesterday that is BEGGING to be made into a Xmas card and that same mnag contained a couple more designs I'm itching to try out, so I'll get at least another couple done and that will take care of all the cards for close family members. :D

I've been stitching mine for acouple of months now and I think that next year I'll make sure I space them out over the course of the year - maybe one every coupe of weeks so I can knock one out in between other projects, or even in tandem...

I have just finished my third and final naughty cat cross stitch. They were a present for my mother-in-law. Already given her two, going to give her the final one tomorrow:

post-1154-127972301941_thumb.jpg

post-1154-127972301946_thumb.jpg

post-1154-12797230195_thumb.jpg

I think I saw those in a magazine, Kate - they're so cute!

Yeah I pick up a magazine periodically and use their patterns. I have a ring binder full of patterns I've taken from the magazines. I just buy the thread and fabric. I love it! I loved stitching them, bit gutted to give them away!

• 1 month later...

I received 2 Charlie's Ark kits for Xmas from my Mum (Charlie's Falling Star and Birth Sampler), which I've been hankering to stitch ever since I first saw them.

The first one I'm going to do is Charlie's Falling Star. I've never done a project this big before now, but I think I'm going to love it.

It's on ivory 16-count aida and the stitched piece will measure 19.5cm x 19cm.

cad02charliesfallingsta.jpg

I've already sorted out the flosses, so tonight I'm going to grid the fabric and start stitching as soon as Xander is in bed and see how far I can get!

I think I'll be framing it and hanging it in Xander's room. I started on it last night (pics below). I didn't get much done, but I was rather tired after the festivities. I got part of the top-left window pane stitched. :friends0:

01allgriddedup.th.jpg02progress251209.th.jpg

01allgriddedup.jpg02progress251209.jpg

It's a special washable marker - you just rinse the fabric and it all fades right away (I just run it under a tap or even spray it with a plant mister for some projects). Some folks actually sew a grid on using thread or very fine fishing line (the latter is easier to pull out at the end as the stitches don't pierce the gridding thread and it just glides out). I never used to grid at all, but it makes things SO much easier, espcially with larger projects as it means you only ever have to count to ten - LOL!

It's not a particularly big design (about 130 x 130 on the grid) so it didn't take long to mark it all up - maybe 5-10 minutes or so.

It's so much easier with the water-soluable pens as you just mark the fabric as you count and you don't have to worry about catching your stitches on the grid because there's no thread there to catch (so the stitching of the piece is quicker and easier too).

This kit is an absolute joy to stitch so far - I can follow the chart easily and stitch in sections while I'm watching telly in the evenings (which is what I've been doing and why it's coming along so quickly).

So far I've only had one little mistake to unpick and it consisted of unpicking half a dozen stitches because I noticed it almost immediately.

It's lovely to see the shape of Charlie's head emerging in the centre of the design. I'll post another progress picture tonight after my nightly stitching session. :friends0:

Tonight I finished the blue in the lower left windowpane, the window sill on the lefthand side and started on the blue in the upper right windowpane. I'm really pleased with how this is progressing. icon_smile.gif I had to frog a couple of stitches when I started a new thread with a loop start then remembered I was supposed to be stitching with a single strand, but I'd only done half a dozen stitches with it so it wasn't much to pull out (thankfully), but it made me realise how tired I am tonight, so I've finished for the evening about half an hour before I originally intended.

06progress291209.th.jpg

Just a small amount of stitching time tonight as I've had a stonking bed headache most of the day. Still, I'm making progress - I've finished all the blue sky in the upper right windowpane and started on the lower right windowpane.

07progress301209.th.jpg

Edited by Kell

Kate, that's a beautiful piece - I bet you can't wait to stitch it! :D

My last progress update of the year! I've now finished all the blue sky in the windows and have started the windowsill on the right. You can now clearly see the silhouettes of Charlie and his toy. :)

08progress311209.th.jpg