The best book you've never read

baggiesfan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Kill A Mockingbird and

Anything by Charles Dickens.

Yip same here. I know the stories but have never actually read any of them.

:D Austen. I have part read several but not finished any.

I really don't fancy any of this type of stuff either :D

Plus, anything by Oscar Wilde, although I did download the audio book of Selected Short Stories read by Stephen Fry today, so if that goes well, maybe I'll add some Wilde to my ever increasing TBR pile.

I have bought my first classic recently (apart from Dracula but that was years ago) Picture of Dorian Gray, and am definately gonna read it next. I quite like the thought of Stephen Fry reading me audio stories too, I imagine he would be really good at it. ;)

Edited by Charm

I've read TKAM and Dorian Gray, I have three Austen books I've yet to read (And I really want to read Pride and Prejudice, I love these kindsa books, what's stopping me!?!) and I've never read any Charles Dickens! I have A Christmas Carol in my TBR pile this year though.

For me it's Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. I love classics, but this is one I haven't read, though I've wanted to for years.

I bought a copy of this with some christmas money, just got to wait `til I`m in the right mood to read it now! I`ve got a week off work soon, so might start it then.

Maybe you and I should tackle it together one day, Poppy. (Give me a couple of years first to psych myself up for it :).) I'm sure there are many others who also find it a daunting read. Apparently it's fairly readable though, so maybe it's not as bad as I've built it up to be in my head. :blush:

I haven't read Wuthering Heights (much to Roxi's dismay, I have found) :blush:, and also haven't read Jane Eyre. I'm going to try them both soon though!! I love Jane Austen, but haven't read Sense and Sensibility by her.

The Scarlet Pimpernel, by Baroness Orczy. I've wanted to for read it for a long time but have never managed to thus far.

I read that last year and loved it. The relationship between Margueritte and Percy was engrossing, and the next book is on my Amazon wish list!

War and Peace and Les Miserables are probably the ones that first spring to mind, but also let's see Crime and Punishment, Anna Karenina, To Kill a Mockingbird, oh there must be hundreds more.

Oooh I forgot to list Anna Karenina for me, also, but it's on my TBR list. I HAVE to start diving into some of these classics! :blush: I'm so terrible!

I read that last year and loved it. The relationship between Margueritte and Percy was engrossing, and the next book is on my Amazon wish list!

That's wonderful! I'm glad to hear such thoughts on the book. It's about to be added to my TBR :blush:. Now I just have to make room for it.

Completely based on the idea that it was a book that I loved & have read many times, then for me it would be:

A place to call home by Debra Smith,

Shoeless Joe Jackson comes to Iowa by W.P. Kinsella &

Sweet Liar by Jude Deveraux

No classics there but I loved them!

****D'oh! Guess I didn't read the title of this forum very well, did I?****

Edited by Ceinwenn
Cause I'm silly!

Leo Tolstoy: War and Peace

I fear War and Peace would be one of mine too

Maybe you and I should tackle it together one day, Poppy.

The Classic Circle poll going up mid-February:

1. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

2. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

3. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

4. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

5. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

We're here to help you, after all! *cracks up*

War and Peace and Les Miserables are probably the ones that first spring to mind, but also let's see Crime and Punishment, Anna Karenina, To Kill a Mockingbird, oh there must be hundreds more.

Oooh I forgot to list Anna Karenina for me, also, but it's on my TBR list. I HAVE to start diving into some of these classics! :blush: I'm so terrible!

If there's some you'd like to "be forced" to tackle, just let us know, and we'll put them up on a poll for CC. Seriously, don't think of it so much as 'nominating' as 'making requests' or 'wishing'. We'd be happy to have your hopes and wishes! And if you're lucky, that way you won't up with a poll from "ii's Classics TBR -list"!