The best book you've never read

baggiesfan

Lord of the Rings springs to mind... Though I have tried several times so it's probably not such a good book for me. But everyone is so keen on it...

I read the books because of the movies. I saw the first film, then headed for the bookstore and got the books (I really dislike watching a film before reading the book it was based on). Honestly, the books are good, they are worthy classics, but I've never been able to understand the utter craze that some fans develop over them. Nonetheless, it's definitely worth a read :blush:.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the books because of the movies. I saw the first film, then headed for the bookstore and got the books (I really dislike watching a film before reading the book it was based on). Honestly, the books are good, they are worthy classics, but I've never been able to understand the utter craze that some fans develop over them. Nonetheless, it's definitely worth a read :blush:.

It's that Nerd mentality. I get all gooey over an identification book on Western Palearctic Gulls.

One can soon get obsessed with a book:)

The Classic Circle poll going up mid-February:

1. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

2. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

3. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

4. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

5. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

We're here to help you, after all! *cracks up*

Mid-February? Ack! :) I'm having heart palpitations just thinking about reading it that soon! I was serious when I said I needed time to psych myself up for it :blush:

If there's some you'd like to "be forced" to tackle, just let us know, and we'll put them up on a poll for CC. Seriously, don't think of it so much as 'nominating' as 'making requests' or 'wishing'. We'd be happy to have your hopes and wishes! And if you're lucky, that way you won't up with a poll from "ii's Classics TBR -list"!

I'm sure I'm so far behind in the classics that everyone has already read the "easy" ones I'll be starting with. In my dream world, I would nom either "Anna Karenina," "Jane Eyre," or "Wuthering Heights." But I'm sure 90% of this board has read them anyway. *waving from the back.. all by myself..*

Mid-February? Ack! :D I'm having heart palpitations just thinking about reading it that soon! I was serious when I said I needed time to psych myself up for it :readingtwo:

The poll goes up on mid-Feb. The book would be for May. Enough time for you? I'd be happy to put War and Peace up on the poll! Oooh, I'm thinking DRD's... we could do a DRD poll! *does a happy little dance*

I'm sure I'm so far behind in the classics that everyone has already read the "easy" ones I'll be starting with. In my dream world, I would nom either "Anna Karenina," "Jane Eyre," or "Wuthering Heights." But I'm sure 90% of this board has read them anyway. *waving from the back.. all by myself..*

Seriously, you'd be surprised! A lot of people have 'gaps' in their reading of classics. (including me.) Anna Karenina has featured a lot on people's TBR lists, for example. I'll put that to the DRD poll for May books (see above)... *laughs*

Seriously, you'd be surprised! A lot of people have 'gaps' in their reading of classics. (including me.) Anna Karenina has featured a lot on people's TBR lists, for example. I'll put that to the DRD poll for May books (see above)... *laughs*

Great! Thanks!.. and whats DRD mean?

hahha.. funny!! Now I know!! :readingtwo:

Yes... it was a very academic school. That was the extent of fun we had, together with writing poetry analysis on a poem by Emily Dickinson explaining how the poem was about the WWII. It was a solid, well-built and well argued analysis, too! (well, excluding the year the poem was written)

Yes... it was a very academic school. That was the extent of fun we had, together with writing poetry analysis on a poem by Emily Dickinson explaining how the poem was about the WWII. It was a solid, well-built and well argued analysis, too! (well, excluding the year the poem was written)

Kill me now....

My love of ice hockey is starting to make sense, no? *laughs*

On topic: I'd have to say Voltaire.

You shoulda whipped out the French sass in that boring school! :D just playing.. I'm sure it was a very nice school.

Good job staying on topic. You're being a good influence on me.

On topic as well: Haven't read "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen. Could also probably do with a reread of "Emma" seeing as how its been 10 years and I don't remember jack from it. :readingtwo:

You shoulda whipped out the French sass in that boring school! :( just playing.. I'm sure it was a very nice school.

Well, it was either that or a crash-course on Swedish. Swedish is mandatory in Finnish schools. And turning in that Emily Dickinson poem analysis WAS considered French sass... *laughs* it was good school, I made some amazing friends. (Like My Friend Who Visits Thirld World Coutries For Fun in my blog.)

Good job staying on topic. You're being a good influence on me.

*stares in shock* Mark this day in history, people!!

On topic as well: Haven't read "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen. Could also probably do with a reread of "Emma" seeing as how its been 10 years and I don't remember jack from it. :(

I thought you said you haven't read classics at all? Austen counts. I loved her Persuasion, btw. You should check it out.

*stares in shock* Mark this day in history, people!!

I thought you said you haven't read classics at all? Austen counts. I loved her Persuasion, btw. You should check it out.

teeheehee.. never thought YOU'd be a good influence, huh?? :(

And I've read SOME classics, but only for school with the instruction of a teacher. I've never read them on my own, for pleasure reading. I did all kinds of papers and research on Jane Austen's works though, especially in college.. I love her stuff! I'm just intimidated because I know how much insight my teachers/professors gave me, and I worry I won't get the same thing out of the classics without their guidance.

teeheehee.. never thought YOU'd be a good influence, huh?? :(

According to most that's pretty impossible scenario...

And I've read SOME classics, but only for school with the instruction of a teacher. I've never read them on my own, for pleasure reading. I did all kinds of papers and research on Jane Austen's works though, especially in college.. I love her stuff! I'm just intimidated because I know how much insight my teachers/professors gave me, and I worry I won't get the same thing out of the classics without their guidance.

Well, you'll get a lot out of them, and the more you read them, the more you'll start to remember what kind of questions and so on your teachers asked to engage your mind to the reading, and start to do the same.

Anything by Dickens. I did read A Christmas Carol in December '07 and loved it, but I haven't attempted anything else by him.

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller is one I've been meaning to try for years. I got it out of the school library when I was about 13 (OMG - that's nearly 30 years ago. :( Where's my zimmer?) but couldn't get into it but I'm sure I could now!

Lolita by Nabokov. Again, when I was about 13/14, The Police (pop group for you youngsters!) released 'Don't Stand So Close To Me' and as I was obsessed with the group I wanted to read it but somehow never got round to it. I've got it on my TBR now but I keep putting it to the bottom of the pile. :(

Lolita by Nabokov. Again, when I was about 13/14, The Police (pop group for you youngsters!) released 'Don't Stand So Close To Me' and as I was obsessed with the group I wanted to read it but somehow never got round to it. I've got it on my TBR now but I keep putting it to the bottom of the pile. :(

that