Frankie reads 2009

frankie

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It was absolutely brilliant, a book that I wish to buy some day and reread it. Like I said in the GLPPPS thread, I usually don't like books that are in a letter form but I really didn't mind this time, the letters were wonderfully written. In these letters the authors of this book had managed to capture the personal style and character of each of the persons who were writing the letters.

What an amazing read, just the kind of book that I needed to read after The Trial. :blush: I highly recommend it!

• 3 weeks later...

Since my last post I've read

- Bram Stoker: Dracula. I tried reading this in my teens but didn't like the style and found it quite boring. This time around it was so much better, I was pleasantly surprised.

- Anthony Burgess: A Clockwork Orange. I've seen the movie and it's one of the grossest things I've ever seen, it really makes me sick and I couldn't watch it again. The only reason I picked this book to read was because it's on the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. And it was available in the local library one day and it seemed like a short quick read.

The violence in the book was disturbing, and the fact that these hooligans were only 15-17 years old. Their total lack of a conscience was also absolutely appalling. However, as I had seen the movie already and had already gone through it visually, the violence in the book was a bit easier to manage. If I had not seen the movie before and known that the protagonist ends up in treatment I probably would not have persevered with the novel. I was so eagerly waiting for his punishment.

The last chapter for me was the best. At that point Alex actually started to grow on me and I was rooting for him to have a happy and successful future. All in all, this was a book that I'd normally never pick up and read, but I'm glad that I did.

- Stephen King: Gerald's Game. I've started reading this book three times and I've never managed pass 30 pages or so. I just couldn't understand how one is supposed to be excited about reading about some person who's stuck in a bed for who knows how long and nothing happens. But I've heard many good things about this book and I really wanted to know what happens to Jessie so I was determined to finish the book. It dragged a couple of times but it was an okay read. I was a bit disappointed when it first seemed that the strange man in the house was just Jessie's imagination. That's why I was so glad that he turned out to be a real live person, and a creepy one at that. I'm glad I finally finished this one, but I'll admit that it's not my favorite King, it's probably one of the worst ones by him.

The same thing happened to me the first time that I attempted to read Dracula (I believe I was around 15). Though it just took me one more year to finally get around to trying again, and I loved the book. I'm very glad you came out of the experience with those thoughts on it :).

Both A Clockwork Orange and Gerald's Game are both on my TBR and actually on request by me from my library at the moment. Your reviews on both books do make them seem a bit daunting, lol, but I love a challenge.

Leah86 :D I'll definitely read it at some point because it's on my bookshelf. But right now I have too many good books borrowed from the library that The Surgeon will just have to wait :lol:

The same thing happened to me the first time that I attempted to read Dracula (I believe I was around 15). Though it just took me one more year to finally get around to trying again, and I loved the book. I'm very glad you came out of the experience with those thoughts on it :lol:.

Both A Clockwork Orange and Gerald's Game are both on my TBR and actually on request by me from my library at the moment. Your reviews on both books do make them seem a bit daunting, lol, but I love a challenge.

Andaira, I'm glad to hear there are others who struggled with Dracula at the first time. But I'm glad we persevered, it was really worth it ;) It made me want to read more vampire books. Plus, it was really useful to have read it because I just watched a Buffy episode where Buffy meets Dracula, and I couldn't have understood some of the inside jokes and references made to Dracula if I hadn't read it myself.

Oh, I didn't wish my review on A Clockwork Orange to make it seem daunting! :) It's really a great read and I'd definitely recommend it! If you'll be able to manage through the violent scenes I'm sure you'll enjoy it. As for Gerald's Game, I'm not sure if I'd recommend it. But maybe I struggled with it so much because I was determined to finish it this time and so it might have seemed like some kind of homework. Which is always bad :tong: But I've heard others praise GG so there must be people who like it.

The very same thing happened to me: wanting to read more vampire books after Dracula. And for a while I put that notion aside as I started to read other kind of books. But in the last few months I've been all about vampire books whenever I have the time, and have read some fantastic one. Definitely some of my favorite reading material.

And gosh, I haven't seen Buffy episodes in ages! I was a fan though :tong:.

Oh no don't you worry about your review; it really was great. I think I can manage reading A Clockwork Orange. Unfortunately, thanks to my psychology classes and a few lessons on abnormal behavior, I've had to read through some things I wish I had not. Maybe that made me tougher for reading material similar to that in any way.

As for Gerald's Game, I admit that when I read the synopsis I thought, "Well, I really don't think that I can manage through who knows how long she might stay handcuffed if this is all that happens in the book" :), but we'll see.

I'll be sure to mention to you what I thought of them too when I get to the books if you'd like :D.

Andaira: If you know any great vampire books that you'd recommend feel free to suggest them! :blush: I'm waiting for Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice to arrive to my local library, and I've yet to read Eclipse and Breaking Dawn but after that I'm pretty clueless when it comes to the vampire genre.

And yeah, I'd definitely like to hear what you thought about A Clockwork Orange and Gerald's Game when you've had the chance to read them! ;)

I just finished Going Postal by Terry Pratchett and I hate to say that I was a bit disappointed in it. It wasn't exciting at all. And it didn't make me laugh every two minutes like the other Pratchett's books that I've read so far (well, I've only read a couple of them).

I was going to read another Pratchett after this one but now I'm not so sure about it. I'll probably go for something completely different, I just wish I knew what.

Charm & Ben, great suggestions, both of you! I considered both of those books earlier today when I was trying to decide what to read next. But sorry, I ended up starting American Psycho, cause I've been meaning to read it for ages and I've got it from the library so will have to read it anyway. I'm not sure if this was the best choice though, it might be too gloomy for my current mood.. :lol:

Plus, it was really useful to have read it because I just watched a Buffy episode where Buffy meets Dracula, and I couldn't have understood some of the inside jokes and references made to Dracula if I hadn't read it myself.

Ooh, I haven't seen that episode since I read Dracula. Now I want to watch it again to see what jokes I can pick up on! :lol:

I'm so glad you liked Dracula and A Clockwork Orange. They're both books that I very much enjoyed myself. :17:

Andaira: If you know any great vampire books that you'd recommend feel free to suggest them! ;) I'm waiting for Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice to arrive to my local library, and I've yet to read Eclipse and Breaking Dawn but after that I'm pretty clueless when it comes to the vampire genre.

I know your question was directed at Andaira, but I'd like to jump in with a recommendation if I may. We did a comparative vampire reading circle a while back which you may be interested in. We read Stoker's Dracula and Carmilla by J Sheridan LeFanu, which I thought was a very good read (and it's short). Carmilla actually predates Dracula and is said to have influenced Bram Stoker.

There is also a series by Raven Hart which a lot of people here rave about (the Savannah Chronicles). I have two of the books but haven't yet read them so I can't comment personally.

Awww Ben, that's good to know :):lol:

Kylie: Do watch the Dracula episode of Buffy! I believe it was the first episode on season 5. I'm not a particular fan of Xander but he was hilarious in that one, and if you'll watch it you'll know why ;)

You know, I'm really surprised actually that I liked A Clockwork Orange because I detest the movie. And I didn't want to like the book, it was only for 1001 Books that I chose to read it. There are people who don't understand those who choose to read according to a list on 1001 Books. I've come to think that it's just like another list of recommendations from a friend who has sometimes a different kind of taste but there's nothing to lose by trying out books that I would normally never pick up. And there's always the chance to be pleasantly surprised!

All kinds of recommendations are quite welcome! I'll have a look at the thread you mentioned. I've actually heard about Carmilla and how it was written even before Dracula. I downloaded it from Project Gutenberg a while ago because I couldn't find it in the library. But I didn't read it yet because I was worried that the download wasn't successful because the story was so short! So I'm glad you confirmed that it is really a short story :17:

I've heard about The Savannah Chronicles but I didn't know they're vampire novels. Thanks for the tip! Oh and I've also seen people rave about the Charlaine Harris books, I guess they would be worth trying as well... And quite suddenly the TBR is getting bigger and bigger...

Just finished American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis. Very confusing and disturbing. I'm quite speechless about this book, I can't even say whether I liked it or not. I'm glad that I read it though, because now I don't have to read it ever again.

Tess Gerritsen: Body Double

Tess Gerritsen: Vanish

Tess Gerritsen: The Surgeon

Oh I've read these, :lol: ^^^ definitely recommend them. You should read them in order to get the best from them, start with the surgeon.

Trudi Canavan: The Magicians' Guild

^^^ I've read the Age of Five trilogy by Trudi Canavan which was great, one of my faves!

Victor Hugo: The Hunchback of Notre-Dame

Robin Hobb: Assassin's Apprentice

^^^ Those are two I wouldn't mind reading some point as well.:D

David Guterson: Snow Falling on Cedars

^^^ I read this when I was in 6th form for English Literature. It was good, although I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have because of the constant analysing which I wasn't fond of - is why I dropped English Lit. I still have my copy covered in pencil notes somewhere. I may re-read it when my tbr pile decreases.

Hope you enjoy them all!

chrysalis_stage;Yeah I'm definitely going to read the Gerritsen books in order. I believe The Apprentice and The Sinner come before Vanish and Body Double so I'm going to have to look out for those as well or borrow them from the library before I can read Vanish and Body Double which I already have.

And I hear Hugo's Hunchback is on the poll for the May reading circle, have you voted for it already? You'll have to keep your fingers crossed, it seems to be a really close tie with War and Peace. I haven't voted yet, mostly because it's in May and who knows what I'll be in the mood for then.

Oh and I'm glad to hear you liked Snow Falling on Cedars. I bought it because the blurp sounded interesting and it was really cheap, but I havent' heard anything about it so didn't really know if it was worth a read.

I just finished reading Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. This always happens with Gaiman :)

chrysalis_stage;Yeah I'm definitely going to read the Gerritsen books in order. I believe The Apprentice and The Sinner come before Vanish and Body Double so I'm going to have to look out for those as well or borrow them from the library before I can read Vanish and Body Double which I already have.

And I hear Hugo's Hunchback is on the poll for the May reading circle, have you voted for it already? You'll have to keep your fingers crossed, it seems to be a really close tie with War and Peace. I haven't voted yet, mostly because it's in May and who knows what I'll be in the mood for then.

Oh and I'm glad to hear you liked Snow Falling on Cedars. I bought it because the blurp sounded interesting and it was really cheap, but I havent' heard anything about it so didn't really know if it was worth a read.

I just finished reading Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. This always happens with Gaiman :)

The Surgeon comes first in the Tess Gerritsen series, start with it and you'l be hooked :(

Shame about The Graveyard Book :lol: I quite fancy the sound of it and its on my wishlist, but that's you and Roxi both disappointed in it :)

The Surgeon comes first in the Tess Gerritsen series, start with it and you'l be hooked :(

Shame about The Graveyard Book :lol: I quite fancy the sound of it and its on my wishlist, but that's you and Roxi both disappointed in it :)

I've come to hate my Finnish copy of The Surgeon, it's got really ugly covers and it's a hardback. The English paperbacks are so much more beautiful :)

I would've loved to have liked The Graveyard Book but I couldn't help it, it didn't do anything for me. But I thought it was just me and my not getting Gaiman, I am surprised to hear that others (at least Roxi) were disappointed as well. I'm not saying that it was bad though, it just wasn't good enough.

I finished Interview with the Vampire today, loved it! I'll probably try reading some of the other Rice novels as well.

Hello. I've never read any of Anne Rice's stuff. She is supposed to be a cracking good author, though. I struggle with the whole 'vampire' thing a little. If you liked that, another belting good book to read is 'I Am Legend' by Richard Matheson. Nothing like the film (although as a film, it was very good too). Also, I've just finished a book called 'Bad Monkeys' by Matt Ruff. This is now in my top ten, definitely. Don't read the blurb or look at the cover, though, because it'll put you off. Just try it. Hope you're well. :D

Hello. I've never read any of Anne Rice's stuff. She is supposed to be a cracking good author, though. I struggle with the whole 'vampire' thing a little. If you liked that, another belting good book to read is 'I Am Legend' by Richard Matheson. Nothing like the film (although as a film, it was very good too). Also, I've just finished a book called 'Bad Monkeys' by Matt Ruff. This is now in my top ten, definitely. Don't read the blurb or look at the cover, though, because it'll put you off. Just try it. Hope you're well. :D

I'd heard good things said about Rice as well, but it took me this long to actually read something by her. I've never been a fan of the whole vampire genre either but Twilight has helped me get over that :D Thanks for the I Am Legend tip, I've heard about it before but had completely forgotten about it. It is supposed to be a great book!

As for the Bad Monkeys, I totally forgot to _not_ read the blurb! Which was probably a good thing, it sounded really interesting and yet really bizarre. I might give it a go :blush: