Frankie reads 2009

frankie

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The movie is awesome! I have it on DVD, but it's great in a totally different way to the book. For example, in the book, Robert Neville is a blonde haired, blue eyed white guy, in the film he's played by Will Smith, who is obviously black (I'm in no way being racist, just pointing out the difference). But yeah, they're both great, but you have to almost treat them as completely different things, because they're not very similar at all.

I've seen the film I Am Legend and have the book on my TBR pile. Will Smith is my BF's favourite actor and he thinks that I Am Legend is one of his best films. I did enjoy it but I didn't think it was anything special. I'm looking forward to the book though!

I enjoyed I Am Legend. Surprisingly, the ending was so emotional for me that I've never watched the film ever again. I thought it was brilliant. Never read the book though.

I've always struggled with Terry Pratchett. I think my problem is that I loved - no; adored - Douglas Adams and was then introduced to Robert Rankin. I think that Pratchett falls in between the two. Many of my friends think he's wonderful. I am probably terribly wrong in my opinion of him. :friends0:

I've always struggled with Terry Pratchett. I think my problem is that I loved - no; adored - Douglas Adams and was then introduced to Robert Rankin. I think that Pratchett falls in between the two. Many of my friends think he's wonderful. I am probably terribly wrong in my opinion of him. :friends0:

To each his own, aye? :irked: There's nothing wrong with not liking Terry Pratchett that much. I would like to love his novels myself but I just couldn't help disliking Thud! and Going Postal. And on the other hand I did enjoy Feet of Clay. I guess there's no knowing if I'll like some particular book of his until I actually read it :lol:

I picked up Greg Kincaid's A Dog Named Christmas right after I had finished Thud! It was a really easy, light and warm read and I read it in one sitting which is not at all typical for me. Here's the blurb:

"When Todd, a developmentally challenged young man still living on his parents' Kansas farm, hears that a local animal shelter is seeking temporary homes for its dogs during the holiday week, he knows exactly what he wants for Christmas.

Animals are Todd's first love, and his persistence quickly overwhelms his father's objections to befriending a canine, a reluctance that proves to have a painful origin.

The family takes in a very special animal, and the shelter's Christmas adoption programme soon grows larger than anyone had hoped. By the story's end, Todd, with the help of a dog named Christmas, has taught an entire community the transformative power of goodwill and shared love - a lesson for all seasons."

Thanks,, Frankie. I may well have a look for it. The only book I ever read in one sitting was The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. Maybe there's a dog and developmentally challenged young man theme going on here...:friends0:

Thanks,, Frankie. I may well have a look for it. The only book I ever read in one sitting was The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. Maybe there's a dog and developmentally challenged young man theme going on here...:friends0:

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime is a superb book, it was in my top 5 books of 2008! I think it was a real pageturner, no wonder you read it in one sitting :irked: Did you like it?

There's definitely a dog theme going on here at least! I've read 4 dog featured books in 6 month's time (The Curious Incident, John Grogan's Marley and Me, Jacqueline Sheehan's Lost & Found and now A Dog Named Christmas) and I wouldn't mind reading more. Mac if you're interested, I'd definitely recommend reading Marley and Me, it's about this friendly yet really hyper lab dog that charms his family and the readers too :lol:

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime is a superb book, it was in my top 5 books of 2008! I think it was a real pageturner, no wonder you read it in one sitting :irked: Did you like it?

There's definitely a dog theme going on here at least! I've read 4 dog featured books in 6 month's time (The Curious Incident, John Grogan's Marley and Me, Jacqueline Sheehan's Lost & Found and now A Dog Named Christmas) and I wouldn't mind reading more. Mac if you're interested, I'd definitely recommend reading Marley and Me, it's about this friendly yet really hyper lab dog that charms his family and the readers too :lol:

Funnily enough, I'm going to see the film of the book on Friday. I work with Adults with Learning Disabilities and occasionally take a bunch of 'em to the flicks when I've got some time. I'm hoping it's good.:friends0:

Funnily enough, I'm going to see the film of the book on Friday. I work with Adults with Learning Disabilities and occasionally take a bunch of 'em to the flicks when I've got some time. I'm hoping it's good.:friends0:

I'm sure it's good! But if it's anything like the book, then remember to have some tissues along with you :lol: I'm going to watch the film too but I'll probably wait for the DVD because I don't enjoy bawling my eyes out in public... :irked:

I'm sure it's good! But if it's anything like the book, then remember to have some tissues along with you :lol: I'm going to watch the film too but I'll probably wait for the DVD because I don't enjoy bawling my eyes out in public... :irked:

Ah. I wonder how professional it's considered if one weeps in public...do you think it could be a situation where I might be disciplined under company policy 24.4 Section C "An employee must not, under any circumstances what-so-ever, be seen to display signs that they are human and therefore have emotions"? I'm rubbish at films. I've only read a couple of books where I've blubbed, but films! Sheesh! I'm Weeping Man! Don't even start me thinking about E.T....:friends0:

Ah. I wonder how professional it's considered if one weeps in public...do you think it could be a situation where I might be disciplined under company policy 24.4 Section C "An employee must not, under any circumstances what-so-ever, be seen to display signs that they are human and therefore have emotions"? I'm rubbish at films. I've only read a couple of books where I've blubbed, but films! Sheesh! I'm Weeping Man! Don't even start me thinking about E.T....:irked:

Um.... are you serious? Do you really have that kind of strict rules?? :friends0::lol: I would understand that if you were supposed to work as a robot, but other than that, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me :lol:

Um.... are you serious? Do you really have that kind of strict rules?? :friends0: :eek2: I would understand that if you were supposed to work as a robot, but other than that, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me :lol:

Sorry, Frankie. I'm having a laugh. Work is nothing like that. :irked: Working with adults with learning disabilities is good fun. I was just pulling your leg. Hope you're not cheesed off with my sense of humour. :lol:

Sorry, Frankie. I'm having a laugh. Work is nothing like that. :friends0: Working with adults with learning disabilities is good fun. I was just pulling your leg. Hope you're not cheesed off with my sense of humour. :irked:

You cheeky you!! I thought you might be just joking but then I got all worried that if I'd make some joke about it myself and then found out you were serious it would be worse. Oh well! *keeps swearing for being so gullible*

:lol:

Sorry, mate. I'll behave myself and reign in my sense of humour a little. I thought of a book you might enjoy. Have a look for 'Only Forward' by a chap writing as Michael Marshall Smith. I think it was published in 1994 (but I could be wrong). This was his debut novel. He now writes crime thrillers as Michael Marshall. His debut is mind-blowing. I hope you have a good day. :friends0:

Sorry, mate. I'll behave myself and reign in my sense of humour a little.

Oh don't be silly! Just carry on as you will, I'll be more prepared next time :lol:

By the way, do you keep your own book blog here? It would be nice to see what kind of books you read yourself so I might see if our taste in books is similar and might be more encouraged to take your advice on 'Only Forward' by that Michael Marshall Smith bloke. You see I have too many books on my mount TBR as it is... :irked::friends0:

I think it's another laundry day for me. They are redoing the bathroom next door and the noise is so bad at times that there's no way I'll be able to do anything academic.

I'll do that. I 've not started one yet, but I'll get on it. My taste is eclectic, really. I tend to alternate between a decent, thought-provoking contemporary novel and a thumping good thriller or crime novel. Only Forward is definitely worth sticking on your TBR pile. You will not be disappointed. I hope your 'Laundry' day was enjoyable and I hope next door enjoy their new bathroom. Have a good day. :shrug:

I'll do that. I 've not started one yet, but I'll get on it. My taste is eclectic, really. I tend to alternate between a decent, thought-provoking contemporary novel and a thumping good thriller or crime novel. Only Forward is definitely worth sticking on your TBR pile. You will not be disappointed. I hope your 'Laundry' day was enjoyable and I hope next door enjoy their new bathroom. Have a good day. :shrug:

Sounds good, I think eclectic is the way to go. I know I'd go mad if I were stuck on one or two genres only. But each to his own and all that :smile2: Okay, consider Only Forward added to TBR!

I finished The Giver yesterday, it was brilliant! Why didn't I discover Lois Lowry's other books besides Anastasia when I was younger ;) Really thought-provoking stuff. Anastasia was that way too, only not in so obvious a way.

Started Sofi Oksanen's Puhdistus.

Finished Sofi Oksanen's Puhdistus, thoroughly enjoyed it! I've read all three of her books and they keep getting better and better. I will definitely read whatever she will write in the future.

Started and finished Juhani Aho's Rautatie which was only 126 pages so very quick to read. I was really surprised to find it so funny! I might read some of his other books as well.

Edited by frankie

Finished James Ellroy's The Black Dahlia. I'd decided to read this mostly because it's in the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die and because it's based on the true story of the murder of Elizabeth Short. I was also happy to try out a new author but having read this I probably won't be reading any more of his fictional work. Ellroy's style of writing put me off at times and I had to struggle in the beginning to get to the story.

The plotline itself was really intriguing and especially towards the end I couldn't put the book down. There were many twists and turns and I was utterly surprised with the outcome at the end. If you don't mind Ellroy's style or if you can get past it, I would definitely recommend the book :yes:

Here's something on Ellroy from wikipedia:

"Ellroy was born in 1948 in Los Angeles, California. After his parents' divorce, Ellroy and his mother, Geneva Hilliker, moved to El Monte, California. In 1958, Ellroy's mother was murdered. The police never arrested the perpetrator, and the case remains unsolved. The murder, along with The Badge by Jack Webb (a book composed of sensational cases from the files of the Los Angeles Police Department, a birthday gift from his father), were pivotal events in Ellroy's youth.[5]

Ellroy's inability to come to terms with the emotions surrounding his mother's murder led him to transfer them onto another murder victim, Elizabeth Short, the "Black Dahlia"; throughout his youth, Ellroy used Short as a surrogate for his conflicting emotions and desires.[6] These confusions led to a period of intense clinical depression, from which he only gradually recovered.[5]"

He has written a memoir called My Dark Places and though I said I'd probably never read any of his fictional novels again, I'm keen on reading this memoir and I have already borrowed it from the library.