Frankie reads 2009

frankie

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww I know. I wonder if they will do this in True Blood

I've been wondering this too? :D Let's hope so!

I think Sookie should just become a nun because she gets nothing but trouble from the men in her life :tong:

I know! Bless her! :lol: I was really shocked by

the whole Bill thing too

:D Although I thought he was a bit controling and more like a Dad than a boyfriend. I'm not sure about Sam.....I think the tv show has tainted my image of him too. I think I'd be bored with someone like Sam,

but maybe after all the hassle of past relationships,

Sookie will be happy with a more stable character.

Only time will tell! Fast foward to May! :D

Nicola, should I stay off from your spoiler tags? Anything that I might not want to know? (haven't seen the TV series yet).

I just realised why Sam looks so familiar. He's played by Matthew Settle who plays Rufus Humphrey in Gossip Girl. Definitely not good :lol: I mean the actor is fine but I already have him down as a nice middle-aged person with no connection to sex/passion/desire. Ugh.

Nicola, should I stay off from your spoiler tags? Anything that I might not want to know? (haven't seen the TV series yet).

I just realised why Sam looks so familiar. He's played by Matthew Settle who plays Rufus Humphrey in Gossip Girl. Definitely not good :D I mean the actor is fine but I already have him down as a nice middle-aged person with no connection to sex/passion/desire. Ugh.

Oooooh I think they'll be ok for you Miss Frankie! I was thinking of people who hadn't read the books at all (aren't I good? :D)

I'm in the middle of a meltdown! My BF has his 21st Birthday coming up on the 12th of Sept & I was going to get him an iphone and pay the contract which was great as he's an awkward ****** and doesn't want ANYTHING. So I was relaxed and thinking I was sorted until (about 5 mins ago) he announces that his existing contract still has 12 months on it.......so he doesn't want an iphone anymore......or anything else except for a tshirt he saw......so when people say "what did you get Ross for his monumental 21st birthday?" I can say "a t-shirt". Not good! I'm going into panic mode any second now.......where's the paper bag!!!!:lol::tong:

• 1 month later...

How did I skip analysing Vin Diesel?? Must've been busy or neglecting the whole forum, sorry :D I'm not a Diesel fan myself. But all is lost, the books have been read. Anybody ordered/bought the new collection of short stories by Charlaine Harris? I was supposed to order the book ages ago but have totally forgotten about it. I think I'm going to harass BF to order it TODAY! :D (I can't do it myself, for some weird reason play.com won't except my credit card so BF has to order them for me. In a way I hate that, but it a way it's really good because I have to keep some kind of control over ordering books, I'd be too embarrassed to ask BF to order 5 books every other day :D)

The last time I updated this thread was when I was reading Definitely Dead, and I've done some reading after that:

- Marianne K

Edited by frankie

How did I skip analysing Vin Diesel?? Must've been busy or neglecting the whole forum, sorry :friends0: I'm not a Diesel fan myself. But all is lost, the books have been read. Anybody ordered/bought the new collection of short stories by Charlaine Harris?

Hello Miss Frankie!

Well I've been considering buying it but I'm sooooooo busy at the moment that I'm too scared too! I know for a fact I'd have to finish the whole thing and wouldn't be happy with just picking my way through it slowly.....:D

I feel like I'm neglecting the forum at the moment but hope to return to normal asap!

Hope you're grand mrs xx

Hey Frankie! Congrats on 100 books; that's a huge number! :clapping:I've also beat my own record, but I'm still only up to 63. I should easily make 70 by the end of the year, which I would be thrilled with. :friends0:

I've just looked up play.com and got all excited because they have a couple of books that I want, and cheap, but they don't deliver to Australia. :D Oh well.

I'm currently awaiting a box set of the first 8 Sookie Stackhouse books. I have 4 parcels waiting for me at the post office at the moment, so I'm hoping one of the them has these books in it!

Hello Miss Frankie!

Well I've been considering buying it but I'm sooooooo busy at the moment that I'm too scared too! I know for a fact I'd have to finish the whole thing and wouldn't be happy with just picking my way through it slowly.....:lol:

I feel like I'm neglecting the forum at the moment but hope to return to normal asap!

Hope you're grand mrs xx

Hiya Nicola,

you do need to buy the book at some point you know. It's released this Thursday if I'm not mistaken, and maybe you could buy it on Friday and take 3 hours of your life to read it? Or give it to Ross after each short story and tell him he'll be the boss of you and you'll need to convince him you've done enough homework etc to earn another chapter to read. I think he might get a kick out of hearing you pleading, giving him them puppydog eyes :friends0:

Don't worry about the forum Nicola, we'll be here when you come back. Well at least some of us will be. I've been neglecting the forum and the people on here as well, I've been so lazy I'm embarrassed. But we'll make amends soon. :D

Congrats on all those reads, Frankie, that is amazing! Vincent would be proud :D. I'm afraid to think how many shy of 100 I've actually read this year :friends0:.

I'm glad to see how much you liked 'The Art of Racing in the Rain.' I discovered this hidden on my bookshelf the other day when I was packing and almost fell over!

Congratulations on 100 books! I was aiming for 100 as well, but unfortunately I didn't anticipate how hampared my reading would be, by work. I haven't even reached 50.. although we do have a couple of months left. :friends0:

Thanks everyone for the congrats, I had no idea I could make it past 100 books in a year! But lets keep in mind that I've been reading a lot of YA books that are quite short novels, as well as some short classics etc. :hug: I don't think I've done any real big doorstop books this year? I have a couple of those waiting to be read but I'm not gonna start any of them this year, I want to see just how many books I'll be able to read in a year. Cunning!

Hey Frankie! Congrats on 100 books; that's a huge number! I've also beat my own record, but I'm still only up to 63. I should easily make 70 by the end of the year, which I would be thrilled with.

I've just looked up play.com and got all excited because they have a couple of books that I want, and cheap, but they don't deliver to Australia. Oh well.

I'm currently awaiting a box set of the first 8 Sookie Stackhouse books. I have 4 parcels waiting for me at the post office at the moment, so I'm hoping one of the them has these books in it!

Kylie you must've commented on my thread the same time I wrote my reply to Nicola because I didn't notice your post until today. Almost didn't notice your post at all! =/ And congrats on beating your own record as well this year, ain't it a nice feeling? =D And there are still a couple of months!

Too bad you got all excited about play.com, I had no idea they don't deliver to Australia. I think that's just wrong! People need and want books down under as well! Books should not be a priviledge but a common right!! Kylie, could you find those books you wanted from play.com from amazon instead?

4 parcels :lol: Have I ever complimented you on your book acquiring skills? They're precious =) I hope you get those Sookie books soon!

Congrats on all those reads, Frankie, that is amazing! Vincent would be proud :D. I'm afraid to think how many shy of 100 I've actually read this year :friends0:.

I'm glad to see how much you liked 'The Art of Racing in the Rain.' I discovered this hidden on my bookshelf the other day when I was packing and almost fell over!

Peacefield, there's nothing like making Vincent proud :lol: Oh you've got a copy of The Art of Racing in the Rain?? I'm so excited for you =) If you're a cryer, then honey you must get you some Kleenex when you're reading that book! Consider yourself warned!

Wow! 5/5 for Blindsighted. So glad you liked it that much. I hope you like the others as much.

Catwoman, that Blindsighted was one of the best crime novels I've read in ages, Karin Slaughter definitely made her way up to my top 5 crime novelists :D I can't wait to read the next book!

Congratulations on 100 books! I was aiming for 100 as well, but unfortunately I didn't anticipate how hampared my reading would be, by work. I haven't even reached 50.. although we do have a couple of months left.

Life sometimes gets in the way of reading, don't you just hate that? But hey like you said, there are still a couple of months ahead! And Christmas hols is the ideal time for snuggling up with a book and choccies. *Saliva falling off me chin*

Anybody ordered/bought the new collection of short stories by Charlaine Harris?

I bought a book of short stories by her and two other authors yesterday, don't think it's the one you're talking about though :D

- Karin Slaughter: Blindsighted 5/5

So pleased you enjoyed this so much! :motz: It's always really good to find a new author you really like. I did think In Silence by Erica Spindler reminded me of Slaughter's stuff somehow, think it was the small american town element. Mind you, did I not recommend her stuff to you ages ago? ... maybe that was someone else :)

Congrats too on you reaching the big 100 reads this year! :) Well done!

I bought a book of short stories by her and two other authors yesterday, don't think it's the one you're talking about though :D

So pleased you enjoyed this so much! :motz: It's always really good to find a new author you really like. I did think In Silence by Erica Spindler reminded me of Slaughter's stuff somehow, think it was the small american town element. Mind you, did I not recommend her stuff to you ages ago? ... maybe that was someone else :)

Congrats too on you reaching the big 100 reads this year! :) Well done!

Nope I think you bought some other book, this one's called Touch of Dead of something like that :lol: And it's only Charlaine Harris's stories me thinks :lol:

Yeah I remember you were one of the persons who was recommending Erica Spindler to me ages ago. I don't remember who the other person was though. It took me a while to find a Spindler novel though, that's why I haven't read her earlier.

But lets keep in mind that I've been reading a lot of YA books that are quite short novels, as well as some short classics etc. :lol: I don't think I've done any real big doorstop books this year? I have a couple of those waiting to be read but I'm not gonna start any of them this year, I want to see just how many books I'll be able to read in a year. Cunning!

:D I've been put off reading longer books as well because I'm doing so well zipping through shorter books. I've been reading lots of YA fiction as well, although I've managed to squeeze in a few longer novels.

Too bad you got all excited about play.com, I had no idea they don't deliver to Australia. I think that's just wrong! People need and want books down under as well! Books should not be a priviledge but a common right!! Kylie, could you find those books you wanted from play.com from amazon instead?

4 parcels :) Have I ever complimented you on your book acquiring skills? They're precious =) I hope you get those Sookie books soon!

Yeah, it looks like play.com is for Europeans only. Maybe they'll change it one day. *fingers crossed* :lol: I've found the books on Book Depository and Amazon.com, but they're a little dearer. Still much cheaper than Australia though, so I don't mind too much.

:motz: I think you have complimented me on my book-acquiring skills before. I am also in awe of you. I think you buy much more often than I do. It's just those twice-a-year bookfairs that make me look so bad (or is that good? :)) And I have gone a little crazy lately, but I swear I'll stop soon!

• 1 month later...

It's been a long while since I've updated this thread, the last book I've commented was Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter and I can tell you that I've read a lot of Slaughter after that :D

- Mark Billingham: Sleepyhead 3/5

- Jean-Dominique Bauby: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly 1/5

- Karin Slaughter: Kisscut 4/5

- Karin Slaughter: A Faint Cold Fear 4/5

- Karin Slaughter: Indelible 5/5

- Karin Slaughter: Faithless 4/5

- Karin Slaughter: Triptych 5/5

- Karin Slaughter: Skin Privilege 3/5

- Sophie Kinsella: Twenties Girl 5/5

- Jeff Lindsay: Dexter in the Dark 2/5 :)

- Heikki Turunen: Seitsem

Wow you have read a lot of Slaughter! She must be good :D I haven't read anything at all by her but I think my Mother has a book or two. I might have to rob her shelves the next time I visit her :)

Hope you're well mrs xx

Wow you have read a lot of Slaughter! She must be good :) I haven't read anything at all by her but I think my Mother has a book or two. I might have to rob her shelves the next time I visit her :D

Hope you're well mrs xx

Slaughter is a damn fine writer I tell you! If you're going to get into Slaughter make sure you start from the beginning of the Grant County -series so you'll read them in the right order and can get to know the characters little by little. Blindsighted is the first book in the series.

D'you know Nicola, I've seen you around the Book Activity thread, raving about those Lestat novels and I'm having second thoughts on the whole 'not-gonna-read-that-Lestat-book-everrrr' decision I made some time ago. Do the books get better after The Vampire Lestat?

By the way Nicola, I've been meaning to write to you for ages but I've been under a serious lazy spell ;) I hope you've been well, I promise I'll write to you soon! :)

I might have to take your Slaughter advice Miss Frankie! :D I've heard a few people rave about her and if you're a fan she must be good!

Ah......I'm hopelessly addicted to Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. The Vampire Lestat was hard work and I really had to make an effort to get to the end but I think she had to delve into the history of the vampire so she could lay foundations for the rest of the series. The Queen Of The Damned, although it has an element of history to it, is amazing! It takes you back to the very start of the vampire which is really interesting and it dips in and out of what's going on with Lestat. I've just finished Tale of the Body Thief and it was brilliant (Probably the best so far!) It's the tale of a spirit who takes possession of bodies and it has it's heart set on Lestat's. Lestat, who wants to know what it's like to be mortal again, strikes up a deal to swap bodies for 36 hours but of course the Body Thief disappears. The other vampires turn their backs on Lestat so he enlists the help of his only true friend, David Talbot (who makes an appearance in Queen of the Damned) and they embark on an adventure in search of the thief. Memnoch the Devil is next and basically, Lestat get's abducted by the devil (as only Lestat could!!) He's taken on a tour of Heaven and Hell and apparently the book looks at the relationship between God and the Devil.

I just love how Lestat narrates.....the dialogue melts off the page. And you really start to fall in love with him as the series moves on. He's a monster but also an outsider who wants to be on the inside and to be loved. Bless him!

I've been lazy too! There's just so much going on at this time of year isn't there :)

Also....has your Big Brother finished yet?