Frankie reads 2009

frankie

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since last post I've read

-Marja-Leena Tiainen's Suoraa sarkaa ja samettia. A bit like Anni Polva, I quite liked the book and would like to read some other books of hers if I can find any.

- Alexander McCall Smith's The No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. A nice and comfy read. Expected it to have one big case that would be solved by the end of the book though, so was maybe a bit disappointed. Otherwise I was very happy to read it. Will definitely read the other books in the series at some point.

- Robert Bloch's Psycho. Didn't expect this to be any good at all because I don't know anyone who's actually read the book. Was really pleasantly surprised though. It was gripping and I liked the style of writing. The only downside was that it was a bit too short: Bloch could've gone deeper into the story and the characters.

Kylie had the great idea to get us to post our thoughts about how our bookyear's been so far and I'd like to make some notes here on this thread:

- So far I've read 65 books this year

- So far I've bought 119 books this year (:lol: I had no idea it would amount to such a huge number!)

Edited by frankie

I just counted up the number of books that I've bought this year and it's 109. I'm 10 behind you, and very relieved that there is someone who has bought more books than I have! :lol: But I've only read 33 so far.

My thoughts on the Alexander McCall Smith book are exactly the same as yours. :lol:

I just counted up the number of books that I've bought this year and it's 109. I'm 10 behind you, and very relieved that there is someone who has bought more books than I have! ;) But I've only read 33 so far.

My thoughts on the Alexander McCall Smith book are exactly the same as yours. :D

Kylie I have to say the same thing, I'm really relieved that you've just about bought the same mount of books this year. Although I thought you might've topped me because you had that coolest trip ever when you bought like 50 books at a time :icon_eek:

I have to say that this is the whackiest year though, I don't think I've been buying this many books before I joined BCF. I blame you all, yet again! ;)

I just finished Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami, it was my first read by him. It was weird but beautiful, definitely lacked logic but compensated with extraordinary events. I can't get over the Ferris Wheel thing. A sort of dreamlike book. I'll definitely read Murakami's other novels in the future when I get the chance.

• 1 month later...

After last post I've read:

- Seth Grahame & Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I'm glad I read it because it would have haunted me the rest of my life if I hadn't. At some point it was tedious to read, and at some points it was hilarious. The best thing about the book was that Grahame had changed some of the plotline so it didn't feel like reading Pride and Prejudice and there being a few random zombies every now and then. The sexual innuendos were at times funny and at other times really upsetting, I think overall I would've preferred the book without them, it's Jane Austen and the Bennett's for g's sake!

Also, I don't normally approve of fat jokes but I thought it was hilarious when Mr Collins was always being referred to with that adjective. Very unflattering and straightforward depiction :D

- Gavriil Trojepolski: White Bim Black Ear. A classic Russian book about a dog. A really truly awfully sad book which I would've never read if I had known that Bim died in the end. I couldn't stop crying. Otherwise a very grasping read, I want to check out Trojepolski's other books.

- Chris Niles: Hell's Kitchen. I picked this up from the library based on the name and the blurp. A pretty good basic read which I enjoyed, but don't feel the need to necessarily recommend to anyone in particular.

- Meg Cabot: The Princess Diaries. A pretty okay teen book. Something I would've probably enjoyed reading in my youth. I read the sequel

as well, Princess in the Spotlight and will be reading at least one more book of the series to find out what happens with a certain girl and a certain boy. (Embarrassing, I can't remember their names!)

- Toby Clements: The No 2 global detective. A parody about 4 different detective stories: Kay Scarpetta, Mma Ramotswe, John Rebus and Kurt Wallander. The storyline was a bit weird but I found the descriptions and situations regarding those four people quite hilarious :D

- Ian Rankin: Knots & Crosses. Brilliant read! I'm liking John Rebus and will read other novels on him.

- John Steinbeck: Of Mice and Men. I had been wanting to read this forever, and after seeing the Steinbeck thread here and remembering this book I just had to borrow the book from the library and read it. Was surprised to find it such a short novel. Really truly enjoyed it <3

- Charlaine Harris: Dead Until Dark. Mixed feelings. Felt like couldn't put it down and yet there was something about it that annoyed me.

Now that I think back on it I can't even remember who the murderer was. Oh yeah now I did, creepy!

I can't put my finger on what made me not like it as much as I had hoped. This doesn't mean that it stank, though. I've bought the next 5 books so I'm definitely reading them.

- Graham Greene: Travels with My Aunt. A light and pleasant read, my first Graham Greene. I've heard that not all of his books are this light.

- Lee Goldberg: Monk Goes to the Firehouse. Great light detective read with infamous Monk :D This was my second Monk book (I've already read Monk and the Blue Flu) and I really like these. I don't think their brilliant per se, but if you like Monk I think you'll like these books as well :lol: I watched the exact episode of which this book was written about by accident this weekend and the book version differed incredibly much from the TV version and I found it quite genious, you can enjoy the same episode and book from totally different angles :)

Edited by frankie

After last post I've read:

- Seth Grahame & Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I'm glad I read it because it would have haunted me the rest of my life if I hadn't. At some point it was tedious to read, and at some points it was hilarious. The best thing about the book was that Grahame had changed some of the plotline so it didn't feel like reading Pride and Prejudice and there being a few random zombies every now and then. The sexual innuendos were at times funny and at other times really upsetting, I think overall I would've preferred the book without them, it's Jane Austen and the Bennett's for g's sake!

Also, I don't normally approve of fat jokes but I thought it was hilarious when Mr Collins was always being referred to with that adjective. Very unflattering and straightforward depiction :D

I've had my eye on this book for a while now.....think it's reduced in our local music store and I've picked it up a few times only to put it back on the shelf :D Do you think it's worth my hard-earned

I know what you mean, I had my eye on the book for ages but I always kept telling myself there's no way I'm going to invest my own money in this book and I'll borrow it from the library or something. After reading the book I have to say that I was glad I hadn't bought it for myself: I'm not going to read it ever again, and it wasn't that good. So I would suggest you take a look at your library site and see if the book's there and go ahead and borrow it :D

(Hm I think Kell was reading the book also at the same time as I was, I wonder if she's already read it and written something about it on here? Maybe we should check out her blog.)

Thanks Frankie!! I'll check out the library this week sometime. I think I can order books from them if they don't have it in stock :D

No problem Nicola :D

My thoughts on Under the Skin which I finished yesterday:

I just finished Under the Skin by Michel Faber. I really don't know how to describe this book. If I had known what the book was about I'd probably not bought it and read it. But as I didn't know anything about it, just that it was supposed to be good, I started reading it quite eagerly. The beginning sounded really intriguing. Then there was the first twist which made me think this is getting real interesting! Then I found out something else and was really grossed out. And other things started to unfold and yet another thing would surface.... I can't really say much about the book because I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

I found the novel really thought provoking and felt like underlining the best parts This book is definitely something that'll stick in my mind and will keep thinking about it for a long time. 5/5!

I have Travels with my Aunt on my bookcase, Frankie. I'm pleased to read you enjoyed it.

I have another two of his books also (in one volume) but I can't remember offhand which stories they are!

I think he wrote weird books? Or at least he was a very weird person. A friend of mine had a course on Graham Greene's works and life in uni and she said he was quite an interesting character. Since then I've always thought I should read a biography on him :D

Wow wow wow, I finished Living Dead in Dallas today! I started it last night when I went to bed, read 60 pages, decided to sleep, couldn't get any, continued reading and all of a sudden I was on page 160 or so :D I couldn't put the book down! I kept reading today and and realised that for some reason I loved this book so much more than Dead Until Dark which was kind of a average novel to me.

Regarding the men in Sookie's life, I have to say I was team Sam in the first book. I thought Eric was weird and Bill was stiff and boring. Now after reading this second book, I still have to say that I'm liking Sam a lot, I was still finding Bill boring but I think he grew on me a little, his seriousness and protectiveness. But, what was totally unexpected was that I really started fancying Eric :D There something really mischievous and mysterious about him, and his onliners make me giggle and sometimes swoon.

I also have to say that I hardly ever like sex in books because it's badly written most of the time, and I didn't think I'd enjoy it any more in these books, but now I have to admit that I'm quite ... okay with it :lol: Not in a weird way, I just somehow am really into the books and the situations and I can sorta feel the passion between the characters. It's mesmerizing. Kinda like watching Twilight :) Make any sense?

I also have to say that I hardly ever like sex in books because it's badly written most of the time, and I didn't think I'd enjoy it any more in these books, but now I have to admit that I'm quite ... okay with it :D Not in a weird way, I just somehow am really into the books and the situations and I can sorta feel the passion between the characters. It's mesmerizing. Kinda like watching Twilight :lol: Make any sense?

It absolutely makes sense, and I agree 100% :D

It absolutely makes sense, and I agree 100% :lol:

Phew! :D I didn't want to be considered a pervert but obviously you people who've read the books get my drift :D I'm really glad I still have 7 books to read :D (I'm already worried about withdrawals after I've finished the series... :))

Makes perfect sense to me, Frankie!! I've only read the first 2 books as well and know exactly where you are coming from :D.

Now just wait until you see the TV series! Or wait, have you already had the pleasure?! :D

Makes perfect sense to me, Frankie!! I've only read the first 2 books as well and know exactly where you are coming from :D.

Now just wait until you see the TV series! Or wait, have you already had the pleasure?! :lol:

Cool, you've also got many books to go :D I haven't seen the show yet but I'm dying to, because I think I'd like it and also because all you people are raving about it so much I feel left out having not watched it yet!!! :D:) I'm hoping to get the first season soon :D

I also have to say that I hardly ever like sex in books because it's badly written most of the time, and I didn't think I'd enjoy it any more in these books, but now I have to admit that I'm quite ... okay with it :lol: Not in a weird way, I just somehow am really into the books and the situations and I can sorta feel the passion between the characters. It's mesmerizing. Kinda like watching Twilight :) Make any sense?

It's really well written isn't it!? Normally with sex in books I'm like "Eeeek! Turn the page! Turn the page!" :D Some of it is awful! Especially the stuff written by men.....makes them even more alien to me! :D

It's really well written isn't it!? Normally with sex in books I'm like "Eeeek! Turn the page! Turn the page!" :D Some of it is awful! Especially the stuff written by men.....makes them even more alien to me! :lol:

Yep it's good stuff! :D And I couldn't agree with you more on male writers' disability to write believable and nonrepulsive sex scenes! It's just not in their system. Although I have to say that sex scenes in books suck in general. I've only ever 'enjoyed' as in tolerated and approved of one sex scene in a book and that was Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. She is one awesome writer and that was one heck of a book and eventhough it was a lesbian scene which I don't happen to be personally familiar with I found it incredibly believably and beautifully written.

• 2 weeks later...

Charm yep, but it's all downhill from now on... :) Well I guess not, I'm still eager to know what happens next! :lol:

Since my last post on finishing Living Dead in Dallas I've finished the following books:

- Charlaine Harris: Club Dead (Hello Alcide :))

- Candice F. Ransom: My Sister the Meanie (nostalgic reread from teenage)

- Candice F. Ransom: My Sister the Creep (-"-)

- Candice F. Ransom: My Sister the Traitor (-"-)

- Meg Cabot: Princess in Love

- Meg Cabot: Princess in Waiting (this book put me off the rest of the series, Mia needs to start to stand her own ground and stand up to grandmere, and quit freaking out about whether he loves her, loves her not.)

- Charlaine Harris: Dead to the World (themewise, this book was probably my least favorite on the series, I don't enjoy

witches

. Otherwise, totally awesome. You people know what I mean :motz:)

That means that I've already read 86 books so far this year (I read 77 books last year, total). Some of the books I've read have been rather short and quite a lot of them have been YA or childrens books so that partially explains my speed.

I'm currently reading Dead as a Doornail by Charlaine Harris (who else).

Nicola :D Well, most of the books have been YA/children's lit so it wasn't much of an effort to get all those books read :lol:

I'm currently reading Definitely Dead which I'm of course enjoying but I just wanted to say a couple of things about it:

- Why does Quinn

call Sookie 'babe'? And why does she put up with it? I mean Quinn's okay I guess, I don't mind him but I find Quinn calling Sookie 'babe' a bit patronising and chauvinist.

- Why does Charlaine Harris

have to describe every character's outfits? What's up with that? I find it incredibly boring and of... materialistic? Sookie sometimes judges people on what they're wearing and I don't like it. Get a life.

Nicola :lol: Well, most of the books have been YA/children's lit so it wasn't much of an effort to get all those books read :lol:

I'm currently reading Definitely Dead which I'm of course enjoying but I just wanted to say a couple of things about it:

- Why does Quinn

call Sookie 'babe'? And why does she put up with it? I mean Quinn's okay I guess, I don't mind him but I find Quinn calling Sookie 'babe' a bit patronising and chauvinist.

- Why does Charlaine Harris

have to describe every character's outfits? What's up with that? I find it incredibly boring and of... materialistic? Sookie sometimes judges people on what they're wearing and I don't like it. Get a life.

That really annoys me about Quinn too! As soon as he started saying it I was like ".....no no no! Get him out of here! Taxi for Quinn!" :lol:

I didn't like him and after everything that happened with eric, how could we accept another love interest?

I noticed that too!

And the clothes were always so bad too. Sookie is supposed to be young and the clothes she was describing.....well I had to imagine different outifts because it was really off-putting!

:D:lol: