Frankie reads 2009

frankie

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charm: Phew! :lol:

I read Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery last weekend. This series is one of my favorites from childhood (I've always preferred Emily to Anne) but it's been a while since I've last read it. Usually if I'm in the mood for Montgomery I go for Emily Climbs because I have it on my shelf, so it was really ages since I last read this first book of the series. I'd quite forgotten how Emily meets all the eccentric people she knows, for example Dean Priest (I wonder what his nickname was in English, the translation is quite funny :lol:). A very comfortable read, like meeting an old friend :D

Now I'm reading Jeffery Deaver's The Coffin Dancer so I'm continuing my journey in good company :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I certainly haven't updated this in a while if I was still reading Coffin Dancer while writing the last post! Well, The Coffin Dancer was of course amazing! It was even better than the first Lincoln Rhyme novel The Bone Collector which I thought would be impossible. My more detailed thoughts will be found in the dearly beloved Lincoln Rhyme thread :D

After that I read Paulo Coelho's Alchemist which I found an okay read, but really rather overrated. Thoughts found in the Most overrated book thread :D

After that I picked up The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice but had to put it down to give way to the Making Waves -series by Katherine Applegate, a nostalgic reread from my teenage. I'd read the first book of the series a bit earlier and now managed to find the rest of the series in my hometown library and so I read books 2-7. Easy, quick and refreshing <3

Picked up The Vampire Lestat after that but I'm struggling with it at the moment. Won't give up though!

• 4 weeks later...

What a crappy month it's been readingwise! :smile2: The Vampire Lestat totally snatched my mojo from me, through it away into the thick bushes and giggled merrily all the while. Poor mojo :D

I gave up on Lestat and since then I've only managed to reread Jeff Lindsay's Darkly Dreaming Dexter and Dearly Devoted Dexter. Now I'm trying to reclaim my mojo by reading a very favorite read of mine from my teenage, Tuija Lehtinen's Joka kimma sen tiet

Aw you poor thing :smile2:, I hate losing my mojo and at the min its thoroughly slipping with Hunchie :006:

I'd suggest we go to the lost mojo thread for cookies and sympathy but we're on a bloody diet! :D

Aw you poor thing :smile2:, I hate losing my mojo and at the min its thoroughly slipping with Hunchie :lol:

I'd suggest we go to the lost mojo thread for cookies and sympathy but we're on a bloody diet! :006:

I already thought about going there for one, maybe a low fat low calorie cookie? Maybe we could split one? :D

Hunchie sounds like Lestat. They should get together, I bet they'd have lots of boring stories to share with each other.

What a crappy month it's been readingwise! :smile2: The Vampire Lestat totally snatched my mojo from me, through it away into the thick bushes and giggled merrily all the while. Poor mojo :D

If I see your mojo heading this way, do you want me to feed it and send it home with low fat low sugar calorie free tastiest cookies? :006:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I finally got a chance to read the first book of Lynda La Plante's Trial and Retribution -series. I found it a great read but maybe was a tiny bit disappointed at the end. I won't be discouraged though, I love the TV-series and I intend to read all of the T&R-books. I've got T&R II and T&R IV waiting in my bookshelf, I'm hoping to get the other books in the series as well.

At this point I want to make a list of all the books that I bought when I was on my trip in Lahti/Helsinki:

Oddbj

I read Arthur & George last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I hope you both do as well! It was really interesting and it's made me curious about Conan Doyle's writing, so I'll be looking to invest in some of his books in the future.

Arthur & George was a really spontaneous buy, I didn't know anything about it but just quickly read the blurb from the backcover and as it was cheap decided to buy it. Good to hear someone's enjoyed it chesilbeach ;) I'm sure Lucybird you'll get to it first as I have so many books to read :D

I finished Ann Rule's The Stranger Beside Me last night and it was really good to the very end! I've already rambled about this book on so many threads but here's what I've been saying anyways:

I'm reading Ann Rule's The Stranger Beside Me - The Shocking Inside Story of Serial Killer Ted Bundy and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's into true crime stories! Ann Rule was working with Ted Bundy in a Crisis Center before Bundy started his killingspree. Rule is a crimewriter and an ex-cop and she was close to the police force and the investigators of the murder cases let her see the case files and talked about the cases with her, as she was intending to write a book about the murders. Little did she know her ex-colleague and friend Ted from the Crisis Center was behind all of it! The book's really gripping!!

The book tells about Ted Bundy's childhood, teenage and his student years, the time when Ann Rule met Ted and worked with him. It tells about the cases Ann Rule gets to hear from the news and the cops she's working with and how they are trying their best to catch the killer. It tells about Rule's continuing friendship with Ted and how she at some point wants to check if Ted could have anything to do with the murders. The book includes the cases and the manhunt, the inevitable arrest and Ted's years in prison. The court part of the book is sometimes somewhat repetitive but hey, so was the real thing, Ted filed so many appeals after the final verdict it could've driven anyone crazy.

Very gripping stuff. I was forced to keep the curtains open in the other room for a couple of nights because I found going to sleep a bit terrifying, I was fearing Ted might come and haunt me. I grew very jumpy of the slightest sounds in my appartment at some point... *shruds*

Highly recommendably for true life crime fans.