Have you ever enjoyed a book you didn't want to like?

Chimera

I think I'm with you on that one, I prefer Artemis to Harry Potter.. have you read the latest Artemis fowl? Of course the Harry Potter series was amazing though. :)

Not yet - it's on my wish list though!

Artemis Fowl. Never tried it. Actually, I might get flamed here though I dont mean any offense :D, but isnt it supposed to be a sort of copy of harry potter? That's what I always heard but your comments look promising so I might give it a go...

They're actually nothing alike, not in plotlines or writing style. THere's far more humour in the Artemis Fowl books, I think, and there are some very clever plays on words such as LEP-Recon are the Lower Elements Police Reconnaissance, but the word passed into our world mythology as Leprechaun, etc. :lol:

I like genius. I like actual fairies, as opposed to wizardry. And I believe Artemis is written by an Irish dude, so wahey. I find I tend to think better of what people claim are 'clones' of things, rather than the 'originals.' Definately going to give this series a go.

I get the feeling you'll enjoy AF - he's such fun!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are some very clever plays on words such as LEP-Recon are the Lower Elements Police Reconnaissance, but the word passed into our world mythology as Leprechaun, etc. :D

That is the kinda writing I like. I love fairies, any especially any related to celtic (or norse) folklore.

Not yet - it's on my wish list though!

Well you'll love it I'm sure! :lol:

That is the kinda writing I like. I love fairies, any especially any related to celtic (or norse) folklore.

You'll love AF from what you've said in your posts! :D

I have the first 3 Artemis Fowl books on my TBR pile but I wasn't sure how I'd get along with them so I've been putting them off. I think I'll bump them up now! :lol:

Ohh, certainly do! You'll be happy you did, I thoroughly enjoyed them.. and are considering reading them again as it's been a while.

Magician - Raymond Feist. Essentially my introduction into fantasy. My friend nagged at me to read it years back and after reluctantly giving into him to humour him i began to read. 10 pages into it i was hooked. I'd go as far as to say i consider it my favorite Feist book to date.

Magician - Raymond Feist. Essentially my introduction into fantasy. My friend nagged at me to read it years back and after reluctantly giving into him to humour him i began to read. 10 pages into it i was hooked. I'd go as far as to say i consider it my favorite Feist book to date.

Not read much fantasy but like you mister.g a couple of people have told me to read it. Maybe i Should !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I didn't want to enjoy a uni course book called 'Oroonoko' as i just found it very boring to begin with and didn't like it at all. Though as i read onwards and the story unfolded, i found it very beautiful and moving.

The Kommandant's Girl by Pam Jenoff. It was passed on to me and I didn't think it would be my cup of tea (the cover put me off a bit) but to be honest I couldn't put it down.

Rawr - because I b*tch about it all the time! And I STILL think it's, at best, enjoyable in the same way that Twilight is (i.e mindless, arguably worthless fluff.) However, it's well written, and I have to admit I'm enjoying it. SO far.

Aww come on, Harry Potter is not worthless fluff, t'is great ): i admit when I first read Prisoner of Azkaban around 2001, i'd heard that Harry Potter was a great read but was a little apprehensive and weary at the concept and whether it would appeal to me. The hype wasn't around much at all, i'd just heard about it from a friend so i sat in the high school library and was enthralled about all things wizards and magic. Then i started from the beginning and since then waited eagerly for each release and for the most part, absolutely adored the series.

Well I'm proud to say I was a Harry fan well before the hype, it took me forever to find Chamber of Secrets, but I don't have a first edition so it must have been around without me noticing...at least I don't think I have a first edition...