Have you ever enjoyed a book you didn't want to like?

Chimera

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm completely not sure about first editions, i think my Prisoner of Azkaban is a first edition hardback, on a site it's worth

Okay my Azkaban is far from first edition unfortunately, with a little more research i know it isn't, i think it's 14th :) But my Goblet of Fire, Order of the Phoenix, Half Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows are.

Back on topic instead of my rambling, i read OotP again recently, i was apprehensive as i didn't enjoy it the first time, probably because i sped through it but re-reading i liked it a lot more. :yes:

Definitely "Harry Potter" - I'd refused to read them right until the first came out for whatever stupid teenage reason (I probably thought they were for kiddies/too popular for the young intellectual in me to appreciate them); then I broke a foot and found myself having pretty much read every other book in the house so I had no choice. I plowed through the first three in a day and the fourth the following, dead to the world. Good stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Harry Potter for me as well. I remember I didn't want to like it because this girl I hated was a massive fan :smile2: She managed to get our teacher to read it to us and I just loved it! My parents took me shopping to get the first book and because Goblet of Fire had just been released I was begging my mum for it :irked: I'm glad she put her foot down and made me get PS! Almost 9 years later and I am still a huge fan

Just realised I never actually answered this. I guess it's Twilight for me, it's so bad, but it's addictive too. I liked it but felt the whole way through that I really shouldn't be liking it because it was so badly written and half the characters annoyed me, especially Bella. I didn't like it enough to spend money on the second one though- but it is on my bookmooch list

There are definitely a lot that I've been surprised by how much I liked them.

I read Ender's Game for a class in college. I had never read a sci-fi book before, I'd been suppressing my inner dork up to that point :smile2: I really loved it though! And it led to tons more amazing books that I'd never considered before.

I don't know if there's anything that I really didn't want to like--no reason to block your own pleasure just to spite someone who doesn't care :irked:

There are definitely ones that I've liked despite them not really being great books--*cough*Twilight *cough*, uh...Babysitter's Club? most of the historical fiction stuff I read as a kid. I've read some of them back and gagged :)!