Have you ever enjoyed a book you didn't want to like?

Chimera

Ok, put like this I guess the question must sound stupid. After all why would book lovers NOT want to enjoy a book? ;) But please bear with me...

I'm sure you've had situations were you reluctantly chose a book: because you were stranded in a train station and just picked up what their small shop had, because you had to read it for a class, because some friends nagged at you until you surrendered and gave a try at the latest bestseller... :D

In all those cases you might have wanted, in a way, not to like the book: because you thought it was ****, too serious... or just to prove your point :lol: And maybe you ended up enjoying it anyway, despite your best efforts! *cracks up*

Anyway I have to confess it's happened to me a couple of times :she: The first was with Ou es tu? by Marc Levy... I had always thought he was an overrated, cheap writer (sounds snobish I know, shame on me!). But then whilst on holydays with some friends there was nothing else to read so I picked it up and it was... riveting! Not the best book ever but a very enjoyable and well written read.

The second was Surviving with wolves by Misha Defonseca: the author's (true) account of how she travelled far and wide and lived with wolves during WW2 whilst looking for her parents who had been deported. I'd learnt after buying and starting it that it was all fake but decided to finish it anyway as I had it on hand... by then I didnt really want to like it as it was a scam but I found myself enjoying it: I felt that if it had been openly fiction it could have been a great book.

So, any similar experiences? Or are you just not as crazy as I am ? :P

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jodi Picoult - I honestly didn't think this woman was for me. I thought she'd be schmaltzy, over-the-top, condescending...and to be honest, I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the (UK) covers, but something just didn't sit right with me with her books. Then a few friends persuaded me to give her a shot and I'm very happy they did. I read 19 Minutes to begin with and I love how she gets into someone psyche, how she shows a situation from so many angles, how she takes a situation and/or a scenario and makes it move from the contrast of black and white to so many varying shades of grey. I love how she makes me think about the situations, what I'd do, what I'd expect from my friends, my family, from society.

Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels. I first picked up one for $1 at a library sale. I was expecting real chic-lit, highflying, high-heeled city girl type stuff. Nothing like that at all, very funny, a bit trashy and tend to follow a formula after you've read a few but great for a light, very enjoyable read.

Jackie Collins ;) - So not my thing but a couple of my friends said her books were good and needless to say I've read quite a lot of hers now! Really trashy, glitsy, hollywood glamour and perfect if you want something thats not too serious! :P (Note my embarrassed smile!) :she:

Yeah I agree with the Twilight one, probably with Harry Potter too, as I didn't want to appear to like it because everyone else did, and it took me years before I would even pick one up, but when my best friend was obsessed I decided to try them to see what she was on about, and really loved them, and another overly popular one would be Da Vinci Code, I was curious but tend to avoid really hyped books, but my BF's aunt insisted it was brilliant and lent it to me, and I enjoyed that too :P;)

A Winters Tale by Bernard Cornwell, I was pushed by a work colleague to read this as he thought I would enjoy it. Begrudgingly I did and ended up loving it, on my own I wouldn't have touched it but I'm so glad I did.

Another lot of books I didn't expect to like rather than not want to like were the fantasy books of Weiss and Hickman. They take a bit of getting into as there are a lot of characters and different settings, but they hook you in the end. The writing is good, very imaginative with some real tricky twists, some very likable characters and a nice bit of humour.

Laurell K Hamilton books. I didn't think I'd enjoy them. I came across two books of The Merry Gentry series and I enjoyed them regardless of plot, grammar and typing errors. I've found I can enjoy any book without it being literary work of art. Its the ideas that matter.

with Harry Potter too, as I didn't want to appear to like it because everyone else did, and it took me years before I would even pick one up,

Yeah, I was the same with Harry Potter. I was only 10/11 when they first came out and I heard about them and remember thinking they sounded awful. I refused to read them at first, although not because of the hype. It was more that the whole 'wizard' thing didn't appeal to me. But then my mum bought me the first two for Christmas and I have this thing where if someone buys me a book for a gift, I have to read it. I obviously ended up loving them and am so glad I gave them a chance!

I desperately didn't want to like Harry Potter. I put off reading them because I love the Artemis Fowl books so much and was adamant that they wouldn't hold a candle to them. I only succumbed after being slightly confused by the 3rd film and had to stat at the beginning of the series in order to get everything straight. Of course, I loved them almost as much as I love Artemis!

I desperately didn't want to like Harry Potter. I put off reading them because I love the Artemis Fowl books so much and was adamant that they wouldn't hold a candle to them. I only succumbed after being slightly confused by the 3rd film and had to stat at the beginning of the series in order to get everything straight. Of course, I loved them almost as much as I love Artemis!

I think I'm with you on that one, I prefer Artemis to Harry Potter.. have you read the latest Artemis fowl? Of course the Harry Potter series was amazing though. :D

I think I'm with you on that one, I prefer Artemis to Harry Potter.. have you read the latest Artemis fowl? Of course the Harry Potter series was amazing though. :D

This is interesting... I was going to give Artemis a go a couple years back, but thought it might be too childish. But in two people's opinions (so far) it rivals Harry Potter? I might give the first book a go - I hate Harry Potter but thats just those books, not all books like it.

This is interesting... I was going to give Artemis a go a couple years back, but thought it might be too childish. But in two people's opinions (so far) it rivals Harry Potter? I might give the first book a go - I hate Harry Potter but thats just those books, not all books like it.

By all means try it, but mine and Kell's opinions are meaningless. It all comes down to different peoples opinions on different books. I'm sure many people will have preferred the Harry Potter series to the Artemis Fowl series, and vice-versa. I'd certainly try it though! :D

Thanks for all the answers! i'm glad I'm not the only strange one here *laughs* It's interesting to see the different reasons why people think some books might not be for them...

Artemis Fowl. Never tried it. Actually, I might get flamed here though I dont mean any offense :D, but isnt it supposed to be a sort of copy of harry potter? That's what I always heard but your comments look promising so I might give it a go...

Thanks for all the answers! i'm glad I'm not the only strange one here *laughs* It's interesting to see the different reasons why people think some books might not be for them...

Artemis Fowl. Never tried it. Actually, I might get flamed here though I dont mean any offense :D, but isnt it supposed to be a sort of copy of harry potter? That's what I always heard but your comments look promising so I might give it a go...

Ha, in no way shape or forum is Artemis Fowl a copy of Harry Potter. Artemis fowl is a boy-genius who has a plan to capture a fairy and get his hands on there gold.

Harry potter as you know, is about a boy who is a wizard and gets to go to a school of witchcraft and wizardry to study magic.

I don't see the difference? :lol:

Artemis fowl is a boy-genius who has a plan to capture a fairy and get his hands on there gold.

Harry potter as you know, is about a boy who is a wizard and gets to go to a school of witchcraft and wizardry to study magic.

I like genius. I like actual fairies, as opposed to wizardry. And I believe Artemis is written by an Irish dude, so wahey. I find I tend to think better of what people claim are 'clones' of things, rather than the 'originals.' Definately going to give this series a go.