• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The bit that got me was when he said

'I don't want to go'

:D

Come back David......

Wilf was a hero...Bernard Cribbins is a legend. Wonder if he will appear in it again.

Is it the trailer for the first episode? They showed it on BBC3 after Dr Who confidential

It's not a trailer for the first episode, it is a preview of the next series, but yes, it was the one shown after Confidential.

Personally, I'm glad Tennant has now gone, I don't think the last two episodes were that great, and nice though some bits were, we had a big group goodbye at the end of the last series, so why re-hash it again?!

Don't get me wrong, I think Tennant has been an excellent Doctor, but the sullen, brooding Doctor that we've had for the last year is one I can live without.

I'm looking forward to seeing Matt Smith and Steven Moffat breathe some cheer back into the series.

I think Tennant has been an excellent Doctor, but the sullen, brooding Doctor that we've had for the last year is one I can live without.

I'm looking forward to seeing Matt Smith and Steven Moffat breathe some life back into the series.

It's only the last two episodes that have been a problem for me - last year's Christmas special and the two during the year were great, but it's just these big "epic" stories I dislike. They're just self indulgent, fanboy nonsense.

Roll on spring!

It's only the last two episodes that have been a problem for me - last year's Christmas special and the two during the year were great, but it's just these big "epic" stories I dislike. They're just self indulgent, fanboy nonsense.

I liked The Next Doctor and I wasn't as put out as some by Planet of the Dead, but I'm still not decided about The Waters of Mars.

I think the thing is - with the latter and these last two episodes at least - we've been having "The Lonely Doctor" line rammed down our throats, and it's taken a large part of the joy of watching out of it for me.

Planet of the Dead was my favourite, and I although I know what you mean about the lonely doctor theme, I did still think The Waters of Mars was a great piece of drama, and well written to boot, but The End Of Time was just a mess as far as I'm concerned, and pure self indulgence on RTD's part.

I wasn't at all impressed with the first part - the word that summed it up for me was "bonkers". Just what was RTD on when he wrote that? It was rather a disappointment. And the Master in a dress is just ridiculous.

The second part however... I watched that today and it was like it was written by another person; it was so much better. I really enjoyed it. And I cried... and cried. The bits where I got upset weren't the bits I expected to get so upset at though, it was weird. When Tennant's saying that he doesn't want to go, I'm being very unsympathetic and shouting at the TV, "Well, you didn't have to! It's your own bloody fault for deciding to leave!" But I was getting very upset about Wilf, Donna etc...

It had more endings than the last LOTR film, but I didn't mind at all. :)

I'm so glad

that Wilf didn't die, as I fully expected him to. And it looks like Donna's going to be a lottery millionaire! Hurrah! She deserves some reward for saving the whole of creation.

Not knowing much Dr Who backstory, I didn't realise that the Time Lords were such insane nutters. I thought it was very telling and clever that

the Doctor refused to take Wilf's gun until he learnt the Time Lords were back, then he took it straight away with such a terrified look on his face.

I also liked the fact that the Doctor and the Master couldn't kill each other in the end, but finished off their common enemy.

I too thought the woman was the Doctor's mother, judging by how he looked at her.

Brilliant acting by all the cast (even Billie Piper had got rid of that annoying lisp), especially by Tennant, who I really rate as an actor anyway, and Mr Cribbins. ;)

Although growing up Tom Baker was my Doctor, my favourite will always be David Tennant. I'm afraid Matt Smith is going to have to work very hard to win me over, I'm sorry but I don't like the look of him, he's too young and rather strange looking. Harsh, but I'm afraid that's what I think.

(even Billie Piper had got rid of that annoying lisp)

Yes, but it was supposed to be

a meeting before she ever met the Doctor, and yet she looked far too old for that. In the Doctor Who timeline, it was meant to be just before she meets the ninth Doctor for the first time, so why not give her back her trademark make up (the big black eyes and pale lipstick) and a wig which was obvious dyed blonde with dark roots, instead of giving her a more natural looking, mature look? And, as a director who worked with her at the very beginning, why not ask her to try and raise the pitch of her voice as it was in the early series as well?

And, there is no way I think

Mickey would have married Martha or vice versa

. Sorry, but that's just not believable to me.

I would rather have left it with one final visit back to

Donna's wedding

and left it at that. Even more evidence that this was self indulgent on RTDs behalf to

bring back all "his" characters.

Yes, but it was supposed to be

a meeting before she ever met the Doctor, and yet she looked far too old for that. In the Doctor Who timeline, it was meant to be just before she meets the ninth Doctor for the first time

Some good points there in your post. I was a bit slow, it took me a few moments to realise that

it was before she'd met the Doctor. I was wondering why she didn't recognise him! :)

I totally agree, I forgot about this bit. In fact (being slow again) I didn't

even recognise Mickey at first! It was only when Martha said his name that I realised. Duh. But I don't think they'd be together either.

I would rather have left it with one final visit back to

Donna's wedding

and left it at that. Even more evidence that this was self indulgent on RTDs behalf to

bring back all "his" characters.

I didn't really mind the self-indulgence. I thought it wrapped everything up nicely

and let us see some well-liked characters for possibly the last time, so I liked it. I would have liked Donna's wedding to have been the last "visit" though. And funnily enough, the booksigning visit had me in tears. Weird.

Anyway, there may be some logical reasoning behind all this that I haven't spotted (being slow again), but when exactly

did a Doctor ever have time to fit in an epic trip down memory lane between receiving a mortal wound etc and regenerating? It usually happens pretty much instantaneously. Though I suppose he travelled back and forth in time and did it all in about 10 seconds.

I didn't really mind the self-indulgence. I thought it wrapped everything up nicely

and let us see some well-liked characters for possibly the last time, so I liked it. I would have liked Donna's wedding to have been the last "visit" though.

I still think it would have been better if

Rose had never come back. For me, the return appearances have taken away from the awesome emotional ending to series two (which has me in floods of tears every single time).

I still think it would have been better if

Rose had never come back. For me, the return appearances have taken away from the awesome emotional ending to series two (which has me in floods of tears every single time).

I agree that the emotion has been undermined by her reappearances. They said they could never meet again, and then suddenly it's "ooh, time's breaking down and I'm back again!" I said at the time that I felt somewhat cheated of all the emotion I invested in that ending (I too was in tears).

But, I think these "get out of jail free" jobbies happen frequently. Just look at Donna in these last episodes - it was all "she can never remember or her mind will burn". Then suddenly she's remembering, but it's okay, she just has to sleep for a while and she'll be fine. :) I mean, I'm very very glad she didn't die, but...!

All good points, but the ending patently didn't tie up all the loose ends. For starters, there is the (ancient) question of whatever happened to his grand-daughter from the very first series (how many decades do we have to wait for the answer?), and his "daughter" from a couple of years ago. He has family, yet the Doctor doesn't seem to want anything to do with them. Dysfunctional much? And his little jaunt at the end of the episode was too much filler for the weight of what had come before. Lets face it, R2D2 didn't write the best episode of Doctor Who ever, but the ending was perfectly in keeping with his other interpretations of time paradoxes (paradoxi) and emotional farewells.

I am awaiting the new series with trepidation, and I am salivating over the prospect of a book written by none other than Michael Moorcock himself. Looks like there will be some massive moments in 2010. :)

Forgive me for being such a fangirl here, but I'm going to spout off about my feelings on RTD the scriptwriter. Although I agree that RTD didn't write the best episode of Doctor Who ever, I would like to defend him as I think he has written some great ones in the past. However, it is interesting that from what I understand, the scripts I think are his best, are also the ones he apparently had to deliver in very tight timescales and mostly with small budgets. My three favourites are Boom Town from series one, and Tooth and Claw and Love and Monsters from series two. Boom Town was a last minute script which had to be low cost and I thought was an incredibly thought provoking piece on the moral dilemmas facing the Doctor. Tooth and Claw was written in the space of a week when another script had to be dropped, and I think has almost everything I want in a Doctor Who episode - scary monster, comic moments, lots of running and a thrilling plot. Love and Monsters was the first "Doctor-lite" episode due to the last minute inclusion of a Christmas special that year, meaning they had to film 14 episodes in the time allotted for 13. I know it really divides opinion, but I think it is a fantastic moment of reflection on the consequences of coming into contact with our great hero.

And this leaves me with an issue with the series to come this year. I think RTD wrote too many scripts in the series he has been in charge of, and that he had too much control over his own work, leading to these supposed "epic" finales, which I think for the most part, were too big on budget and effects and trying to impress, and not about the story and the characters. The best scripts from all of the new series so far, have come from other writers, who have been limited to one story each (in my opinion, the top two writers have been Steven Moffat and Paul Cornell). So, the probiem I have is that will one of my favourite writers be able to deliver the same level of scripts and stories he's produced in the single stories he's written in previous series, or will he spread himself too thin in his time as head writer? For the first time since the launch of the new series, I have been trying to avoid looking at the news and forums around Doctor Who, as I want to be surprised and (hopefully) delighted when the new series with the new Doctor starts, but this means I have no idea how many scripts Moffat himself is writing, or who the other writers are. I hope that Paul Cornell will be writing a new story and that Moffat sets himself limits better than RTD has done, but I have such high hopes for him, I worry that I'm setting him up for a fall in my own eyes.

Not knowing much Dr Who backstory, I didn't realise that the Time Lords were such insane nutters.

They never used to be, the Doctor does make the comment that they became that way because of the Time War.

I don't think there are many who do believe it, to be honest, it just doesn't fit their characters.

I must admit to being one of those who has given RTD a rough ride at times over the past five years, but after reading The Writer's Tale I gained a better understanding of what he was writing and why. Having said that, this last two-parter made very little sense to me, and the fault for that has to be laid squarely at his feet.

With respect to CB's list above, I'm not sure about Boom Town, but I would add the excellent Midnight, as I think it was genuinely the best episode of series four, and is one that has me on the edge of my seat every time I watch it!

Well I'm just going to add that I liked it..

.. and toddle away. :)

What he said :lol: I saw it this afternoon and enjoyed it (although a few tears were shed :)).

I have high hopes for Stephen Moffat, he wrote some of my favourite episodes - Blink and Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead are in my top 5. Also, I really want Matt Smith to do well :lol:

What he said :) I saw it this afternoon and enjoyed it (although a few tears were shed :)).

I have high hopes for Stephen Moffat, he wrote some of my favourite episodes - Blink and Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead are in my top 5. Also, I really want Matt Smith to do well :lol:

I'll second (or third?) that notion. What Stephanie said. Eeee...I've loved it all. Really nice to see old Captain Jack in the mix briefly, too. He's got enough charisma going round for all of us! :lol:

I cried two times, well because I watched it twice. The second time I thought I'm not going to cry because I lasted longer withouth shedding a tear but then it all started and it just didn't stop.

I'm really going to miss David as the Doctor. Not going to stop watching it though, want to see if Matt will be good, but since I'm expecting the writing to be good he has to do a damn bad job for me to stop watching.

When the regenerating started I told my mum (second viewing, first she didn't watch the episode with me) that she was going to see the new Doctor and first thing she said after regeneration was completed was "Oh my God, he's ugly". So I'm not sure if she'll even continue watching with me

I've decided not to start questioning or criticising certain parts of it, but to simply enjoy it for what it was.. a goodbye to David. It wasn't the best ever, but neither was it awful.

As for Steven Moffat taking over, as much as I enjoyed his episodes, they do have a tendency to be quite scary and complex. Whilst that might be good for older viewers, it could also alienate some children. Bethany is already worried that she won't understand fully, or find it too scary. It is meant to be a family show, so I hope he finds a balance.

I watched the final episode for the second time last night, and it was just as emotional for me as the first time. I forgot to say before that the plot twist regarding "he will knock four times" was brilliant. Everyone had that sussed, yeah yeah, it's the Master who will knock, and then... Superb acting from David as he realises he's still alive and just begins to relax and be happy - a second later the four knocks sound and it's WILF!! A brilliant but heartbreaking twist.

I thought the Doctor was rather bitter and petulant in his rant at this point, but it was understandable. I actually thought at one point that he wasn't going to save Wilf. :) That bit had me in tears, with Wilf telling the Doctor to leave him. *sniff*