Sara's reading

SaraPepparkaka

An other book finished just before I went to work. "Anybody Out There" by Marian Keyes. I have read her books before, and liked some and loved some. My main objection to this one is that I started to feel like I was bombarded with emotions from all angles, and nobody had any time to deal with them, least of all me as the reader. Marian Keyes' trademark is to deal with difficult things in an easy-going way. But I thought that it was a bit too much in this book. I'll still give it 3/5, on my scale that's an average book.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear you liked Tess's Vanish.. I'm like you; I just read my first Tess book by way of the recommendations on this board, and I really enjoyed it :) I have Life Support by her waiting to be read, and then maybe I can check out Vanish, also. :)

I just started to think about it, and in the books where the hero is a police officer, they always catch the criminal in the end. It's the same formula as in a romance novel in a way- happily ever after. No matter how complicated things get, I can trust that by the end of the book things will be sorted out. I wouldn't have dared to read about a pregnant woman being held hostage if I hadn't trusted it to turn out OK.

I had a weekend full of light and funny reading. Two Janet Evanovich started and finished, Twelve Sharp and Lean Mean Thirteen. (I know which guy I would take, but then what would the books be about..) and started Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris, I am now about halfway through it and I am absolutely sure I will have to read every Sookie Stackhouse book there is. All aspirations to read anything but sweet-funny books have vanished, there's sunshine outside and spring in my heart. :lol: Oh, it's still lots and lots of snow here, but it's melting..

I mooched two books, and they arrived on the same day. Janet Evanovich and Charlotte Hughes "Full house"- I enjoyed the read but am contemplating to put it on my mooch list, it's not something I think I will go back to. The other one I will hold on to: "The Marriage Test" by Betina Krahn. I read "The Husband Test" a while back and have been trying to find the other books in the series forever. Well, one did arrive and the third in the series, "The Wife Test" might actually be making its way here. I recommend these to anyone who enjoys a medieval romance once in a while.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so slow on the updating part.

I read Hope by Lesley Pearse, my Book Day book (Thank you Nici!) and enjoyed it. Somewhere along the road I got the feeling I've read it before, but I'm not entirely sure.

The Wife Test, Betina Krahn, arrived in the post and I read that one too. I'm very fond of this trilogy, they are cozy reads. Not the best I've ever read, but they all have a romance well thought out, likable characters, a little bit more than "they meet and fall in love", and a little effort put into historical research even if most of it is a bit improbable. If you are a medieval romance kind of person, these books are worth your time.

Continued with Living Dead in Dallas, Charlaine Harris, Sookie Stackhouse number 2. I liked number 1 well enough, but I liked this one more. That's promising when I know there's a whole bunch of them still to read in this series. Only one thing, Bill the vampire seemed more twodimensional in this book than he did in the first one. (OK, so I've read reviews, and she does leave him, but it's a bit unfair to Bill to take the easy way out and make him .. flat.)

Easy reading here I go. Kelley Armstrong, Broken, was next. I'm very fond of Elena. Again, I haven't read a lot of books in this series, but I will certainly do so. This one I finished last night, and continued with No Humans Involved. And the guests that arrive tonight will have to accept the way our house looks.

Edited by SaraPepparkaka

I liked Broken since it has a heroine who's pregnant but it doesn't make her all helpless. Slightly out of balance, yes, but that's a fact. Helpless, no.

Since we had guests, I only read a few pages on No Human Involved. I might have to be satisfied with that today too, more guests on the way for tomorrow- a real treat, a good friend from childhood that I lost contact with for a while. I expect we'll have plenty to talk about- she works in a library after all.

Well, No Humans Involved went along nicely, and after that went Kaari Utrio: Katarina, a somewhat depressing read- but realistic and well written as usual. It was just a lot of misery and domestic violence and other depressing things in it. Went on to Anne Bishop, Belladonna and Dreams Made Flesh. In Dreams Made Flesh every now and then I could feel the same magic as I did when I read The Black Jewels trilogy, but as a whole it's nowhere close. Belladonna is a whole other story, one that would be good if I didn't compare it to The Black Jewels.. that's expectations for you. Not to mention, these books are all wrong for my spring mood of fluff and fun!

I guess I should be reading some classics for my Library Thing challenge.. that or some nonfiction. Incidentally, my romance category is full, and my fantasy category lacks only one more book to be full. :irked:

Now, do try to guess: Did Sara read any classics or nonfiction like she said she would, or did she hurry to the post office and run home to devour the two next books in the Sookie Stackhouse- series?

Oh yes, Club Dead and Dead To The World are now read. I should give in now and order the rest of the series already.

Jo, you really should look them up- but I would never have read them if Gyre hadn't been devouring them in December. So it's all thanks to her and this forum really. And I can't say anything about the TVseries based on the books, I haven't seen it, and I don't think I will- I watch House MD and that's it. What with books and the 'net, when would I have time for TV..

What kind of books are they? Y'all devouring them makes me curious...

Oh, and I LOVE your avatar! I love love love Pippi! (I did have red hair for 13 years, after all!)

Oh yeah, ii, and you see what she's baking too right!

On one hand, they're fluff. Girl meets vampire and falls in love, nothing like you haven't read a million times before in a paranormal romance. Girl has second thoughts- that occurs every now and then. What doesn't happen very often, at least not in the "girl falls in love with vampire"-books is that Sookie really seems to think like a normal human being- if you are Sookie's friend she will go out of her way to help you, but if you're not nice to her she'll not be nice to you. And there are a lot of side characters that you may or may not like, but they still add flavour to the story. That's why I like to read these books.

I've had the Sookie Stackhouse books on my wishlist for ages but every time I check, they're out of stock! I can't wait to read them though :lol:

I have read the first four now. The funny thing is I'm still not sure about them, haha.

:lol: Obviously very readable though?

Oh yeah, they are definately readable, they just sometimes leave me a little flat. I don't know if it is because I am vampired-out at the moment or if the books just aren't as good. It is one of the reasons I am going to read Bloodlust. I think if I read that and it is a little dull to me I just need to move on from that entire genre, at least for the moment.

OK, I don't sleep much when my husband's away. So I read another book from start to finish last night. Markus Zusak, "Getting the Girl". We've all read "The Book Thief"- well many of us have. And at least I thought it was a lovely book. All I'm saying is that this book is also all kinds of wonderful. It is apparently for teens- or young adult or whatever. Now, as you may know by now, I'm never discouraged by not being in the target group. I am also guessing that other adults will like this book.

.. will return and say more about this book later tonight.