Sara's reading

SaraPepparkaka

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wolf and the dove- Kathleen E Woodiwiss. Finished it last night,and I have very mixed feelings about this book. A good read per se, but if I had met those people (meaning the main characters), I would have said a few well chosen words to them.

I have started to read a book by Leena Lander, the title might be translated to "Let the storm come". I tried to look but it doesn't appear that her books are translated to English. Some I found that were translated to German. If that's true, it's a shame really. She is a very good writer.

OK, I finished the Leena Lander book. What I like most is the language, poetic and brutal at the same time, I wonder how she does that. This book had some interesting descriptions of the troubled relationship with weapons that Finnish men can have. In light of recent events that gave me some thought (the book came out some time in the 90's I think). I liked the ending very much, using the same facts that were known all along to the reader she completely turns the story around from bitter and a bit depressing, to something positive, accepting, forgiving.

And then I started "Here be dragons" by Sharon Kay Penman. Looks promising so far.

Ii-thanks for the info. Oh, House of dark butterflies I have yet to read. Glad to know she's translated, though. Translations is of course a chapter of it's own.

I can say that Leena Lander retains what makes her a good author when translated to Swedish, I wonder how she does in other languages. My mother tongue is Swedish, I find it interesting to read books in the original language and compare when possible. Finnish and English books I read without a lot of "extra" effort. German and French is also a possibility, but I get impatient since I'm forced to read at a much slower pace than I'm used to, and it happens that I need a dictionary.

kb, that's one of the things that living in Finland does to you. You just know that you need to learn other languages, as your own is pretty much useless outside your national borders. People are never surprised to hear about the lanuages I speak in Finland, yet in, say, US everyone's all "wow! that's amazing! how do you do that?!" It's a cultural thing, really.

• 4 weeks later...

Have been reading for an exam, that's why there hasn't been much updates here! Anyway, I had the exam yesterday, and came home to find Book Lover (Jennifer Kaufman and Karen Mack) in the mail (Thank you, ii!). I read it, and liked it. It's not the best book I've read this year, but I like books about books and readers. Avoiding problems (or life) by reading is something that sounds familiar, too.

came home to find Book Lover (Jennifer Kaufman and Karen Mack) in the mail (Thank you, ii!). I read it, and liked it. It's not the best book I've read this year, but I like books about books and readers. Avoiding problems (or life) by reading is something that sounds familiar, too.

Oh, you're more than welcome! I'm just sorry it took so very long. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I finally finished "Here Be Dragons". I took a break in that to read for my exam, since it certainly was a book I had to concentrate on to fully enjoy. Some parts of it was lovely and very entertaining. Other parts I did not enjoy so much. I have issues with infidelity, for one thing. But it was amazing how an author can make something that happened so long ago come to life. I'm told that Sharon Kay Penman's books are historically correct, that's an advantage in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, now I'm finished with The Falls. I liked the book over all, and then there were some truly great moments. Like when DC Clarke heads out in the night to get chocolate. (I'm really only mildly obsessed with chocolate). I do think I'll be reading more of Ian Rankin's books.

And then I started and finished Betina Krahn's The Husband Test. An enjoyable romance, I have a thing for stubborn heroines.

Very rarely do I enjoy all the stories in anthologies, but in The Sandman Book of Dreams I enjoyed all of them. I liked The Writer's Child (Tad Williams), The Gate of Gold (Mark Kreighbaum) and Stopp't-Clock Yard (Susanna Clarke) best. I like it in the world of fantasy and dreams, after all, I spend a lot of time there. I haven't read the Sandman graphic novels, but maybe I should.

OK so I was home with my youngest son, since he has fever + the flu. So he slept most of the day. And what did I do? Well, I read Anne Bishop's Sebastian. It was a bit slow in the beginning, but then I just couldn't turn the pages quick enough. I read the Black Jewels trilogy a while back, and while The Black Jewels clearly was better, this was still one of the best reads this year. There's attention to detail, properly described characters who grow and change, a good story.. There's just one thing I wonder about a bit. I have seen Anne Bishop's books described as romances, rather than fantasy. Sure there's a love story, but I would say that it is pure fantasy she writes. Anyone else have any thoughts on that?

Started reading Madame Bovary. I'm usually not so good with slow-paced books, and this seems to be just that. Madame is also of a VERY different nature than I am- what really bothers me is that she's bored out of her mind, and still doesn't spend any time with her child. Very odd- not what I would do.

I failed to like Madame Bovary at all. If there was one to like in this book it was her husband- but he didn't really see her, he was happiest I think when he had only the memory of her- a memory does just what the person wants it to do. It WAS sad that she always thought love was something other than the everyday things a husband and wife do together, and that her life would be so great if she just was able to do this and buy that.. I would have liked to see her grow a bit and discover what was right there in front of her nose. Like her daughter, and her husband, and millions of things to do instead of being bored.

I wanted to read 19 minutes by Jodi Picoult just because it was about a school shooting. There was one this autumn in a school not very far from here. I loved the way that nothing was divided in "good" or "bad" in this book, and that there were no easy answers.

Anyway, I have now visited Discworld for the first time, encouraged by everything nice written about these books here, and my best friend who said she only stays sane if she can read Terry Pratchett. I started with Mort, and I liked it very much, this is my kind of humor I guess.