Sara's reading

SaraPepparkaka

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More on "Getting The Girl".

This book is about finding your place. In your family and in life. And it's about being quiet and shy. It's about falling in love.

The language is pure poetry. This is my favourite:

"Sometimes I just survive.

But sometimes I stand on the rooftop of my existence, arms stretched out, begging for more."

It's not much like "The Book Thief", except maybe for the use of language. But the time is different, the story is different, the characters are different. Apparently, this is the sequel to another book by Markus Zusak, "Fighting Ruben Wolfe". "Getting the Girl" did feel complete, I didn't see any unexplained gaps in plot or character relationships, so I'm guessing it can't be all that necessary to read them in order.

This is a given re-read.

Oh yeah, ii, and you see what she's baking too right!

I noticed! *laughs*

On one hand, they're fluff. Girl meets vampire

This is where you lost me, sorry! *laughs* I just don't do vampires.

I almost added "no pun intended", but thought I wouldn't make everything I post sound dirty... Trust someone else to turn my perfectly innocent posts into something x-rated.

Well, I'll be reading a little less than this week starting from today. Since dear husband is coming home, I'll probably actually be sleeping at night..

Now, last night he was still away, so I read Neil Gaiman "The Graveyard Book", and it was very good, as expected. I also read an interesting nonfiction book about the food industry, "Den hemlige kocken" by Mats-Eric Nilsson (translated roughly to "The secret chef"). I will be reading food labels very carefully from now on. It's not like I didn't know that it's better to make your own food from scratch, it's just that I didn't know HOW much better it is. This book will have some effects on our eating habits I think.

Has Den hemlige kocken been translated, either to English or Finnish? It sounds really interesting, but my Swedish consists of two sentences, so I don't think I could manage that...

I've never read any Neil Gaiman. Have you any pointers for a first book? I'm very tentative about reading him as I'm not a massive fan on SF/Fantasy fiction - although if it's skilfully written, I'll probably devour it anyway...:lol:

ii, a quick check reveals that it's been translated to Finnish, "Petos lautasella".

Mac, you're asking a difficult question. I AM a fantasy fan, I can't think that away.. Also, I'm not so familiar with Neil Gaiman's graphic novels. There are others here who are.. But maybe this one, "The Graveyard Book", would be a place to start. My own favourite is "Stardust", it is a lovely fairytale at the same time that it's quite ironic to fairytales.

ii, a quick check reveals that it's been translated to Finnish, "Petos lautasella".

Oh, thank you! I'll keep my eyes open for that one, then.

OK, so this week's reading is as follows: a collection of short stories by Edgar Allan Poe. It was one of those brilliant ideas to get something to fit into my category of classics over at Librarything where I do the 999 challenge. It was OK. They were translated to Swedish, and I don't think it was the best of translations.

I read Neil Gaiman "Neverwhere", and absolutely enjoyed it. Mac, I still believe "The Graveyard Book" is good as a 1st book by him.

And then "The Water Devil" by Judith Merkle Riley. I love the side characters and the way they make the story come alive. I have read "A Vision of Light" and "In Pursuit of the Green Lion" too. I loved "A Vision of Light", but then I wasn't so thrilled by "In pursuit of the Green Lion". This one "The Water Devil", is clearly better than the second in the series, quite close to the first one actually. It's refreshing to read about a married couple with children who are devoted to each other, that's not so usual in the world of books.

This weeks reading came with mixed feelings. The only book I read from start to finish was "The Eyre Affaire" by Jasper Fforde. That was only an average read for me, I foud it difficult to get in to. There were some clever jokes. I generally like reading about "what if", like what if the Crimean War never ended. Or what if Wales would be a republic. I also have a positive attitude to time travelling. All in all, I'm not rushing out to buy the next one, but I will probably read it someday.

I also reread most of "Chocolat", Joanne Harris. And some romantic short stories. But a lot less than I usually read.

Sara, if you like "What if" senarios, then I bet you would love Fatherland & Archangel, both by Robert Harris. Fatherland's "What if" is what if Hitler had won the war & Archangel's "what if" is what if Joseph Stalin had succeeded in cloning himself, like he was trying to do. Both brilliant books!

Read "Dead as a Doornail" by Charlaine Harris. I really really like Sookie. She's like a dear friend.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I have read the first four and have five, six and seven sitting in my TBR pile.

"All Together Dead" by Charlaine Harris. I realize there was a book here in between, but as I didn't get it the same time as the rest of the books, I had a short debate and read the one I had got. It will be in the mail soon I guess, but what's a girl to do..

I feel like reading a letter from a friend when I read about Sookie.

And then I started "Stolen" by Kelley Armstrong. And read a few pages in " I Am the Messenger" by Markus Zusak, and waiting on my shelf is also "M

I checked the website of the libraries around here, and one of them has Archangel in Swedish translation. I have some books to return to them as well. Unfortunately, no library visit in sight for me until Thursday at the earliest.

I finished "Stolen", Kelley Armstrong, and continued with "I am the Messenger", Markus Zusak. It's a wonder I got to work at all. I have a feeling my husband won't be so happy with my lack of conversation tonight. It's not like he's not used to it, though..

Lousy at updating. Well, here goes. "I am the messenger" was a lovely, lovely book with just as excellent use of language as I've come to expect by Markus Zusak.

Then I read Kelley Armstrong, "Dime Store Magic". I liked that, too.

I guess I'll start with "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" next, even if I saw the film already.

Lousy at updating. Well, here goes. "I am the messenger" was a lovely, lovely book with just as excellent use of language as I've come to expect by Markus Zusak.

Glad you enjoyed it, Sara. I might bump it up my TBR pile. :welcome:

"The girl with the dragon tattoo" is read. The focus in the book was much more on the journalist than on the "odd girl" with the tattoos, also the timing of the events were a bit different in the book and in the movie, but nothing really sigificant to the story. To sum it up, I liked the story, but I wasn't necessarily so fond of the style in which it was written. I will probably read the next one because I heard it has more of that fabulous girl.

I had an itch for more fantasy. I was delighted to find a Juliet Marrillier on my shelf that I had forgotten about, "Well of Shades". I bought it when we got home from our holiday, I read "Blade of Fortriu" there as you can see if you look at my earlier posts. Damsels in distress, fairies, kings and spies is exactly what I was itching for.