Sara's reading

SaraPepparkaka

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have read Katherine by Anya Seton. This book has a lot of what I like. It's not a romance in the sense that it only pictures a short period of time in a person's life until she meets The One, but it follows Katherine for the most part of her life. I am not a historian, so I can't say for sure, but it seemed to follow actual facts, nothing that really came out as unbeliavable in that department. A big thing on the positive side was also that Katherine stayed faithful to her first husband, and tried to care for him even if she found it hard. It was a bit of a slow read in places, but not too much.

I have read more Discworld. Wyrd sisters, this time. And yes, I did finish it on my lunchbreak. My best friend in the whole world claims that this is the best one of the Discworld books. I must say I kind of liked Mort better. But what do I know, there's a whole lot of these books I haven't read yet.

I'd not say Wyrd Sisters was the best, but it was cetainly better than most of the ones before it (perhaps with the exception of Mort). THat's not to say the earlier ones weren't good - they were! (with the exception, possibly, of the first 2 - imo!).

Well, I will have a good chance of finding out which one of the Discworld books I like best. The Trusted Local Library has plenty of them, and I have decided that January and February will be "Buy No Books"- months. There's a good reason- we are going on a trip to Madeira in the end of February, so if I have any extra funds, they are needed then. There will possibly be a tighter budget still in March, so March may also be a month for reading library books, or books that live on my shelves already.

I finished "The Book Thief", Marcus Zusak, this morning. I wouldn't have bought that one unread, but now that I have read it, it might be a book I cannot live without. I just thought that it would be just another WW2 - book, and aren't there enough of those by now. Many of you will have read it, and will probably agree that this is a truly unique book, an excellent read. And I cried. :(

Erlend Loe- Fakta om Finland. This book I didn't like. In places it was thought-provoking and in places funny. Other times just weird. And the sentences were so long that it was so tiresome to read.

Oh, no! And those were the very reasons why I absolutely loved that book!

Now I'm back to fantasy again, I finished The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko. One part of the experience was very traditional fantasy with all kinds of witches and werewolves etc, and the eternal struggle between good and evil. And another part was great characters in the style of for example Alexandra Marinina, with no-one purely evil and no-one purely good, but somehow very Russian. It's not THE greatest book on earth, but it is good.

Now I've finished a book by Ian Rankin- A Question of Blood. I wasn't in the mood really to read about police and murders and so on, so I found it to be an average read. I read it because it was due back to the library.

I have a week's holiday now. I have been thinking about World Without End (Ken Follett) as a holiday read, so maybe now is the time.

• 2 weeks later...

That's probably OK, Ben, since I'm guessing they will have them in any library anywhere..

Now, I've been a bit slow on the updating, since I was on holidays, to Madeira. I did a lot of reading, but I didn't read World Without End, as I had planned. Oh well. I DID read:

Isolde Martyn- The Lady and the Unicorn- OK, but a bit predictable. You know, happily ever after and all that. A cute sidestory about a dog that I liked.

Thomas Emson- Maneater. I thought it was good, violent but good. No happily ever after in sight for anyone.

And then I got in trouble. I had only brought those two books, and I wasn't done reading yet- only it wasn't that simple to find a bookshop with books in some language I could read. (I do know a lot of languages, but Portuguese isn't one of them.. I know SOME spanish and portuguese isn't THAT different, but that meant that I could dechipher street signs and menus, not a whole book..) And when I did find some books in English, it wasn't really a lot to choose from. So these I ended up with:

Janet Evanovich: Eleven on Top. Of course, if I'm about to read a book that's part of a series, I WILL want to start with number eleven. :) I thought it was a funny book and I will keep an eye out for more Stephanie Plum-novels, when I feel like light reading. I guess I won't bother to read them in order..

Juliet Marrillier: The Blade of Fortriu. I have developed a taste for fantasy books lately, and Juliet Marrillier was actually on my list of authors to try. I absolutely loved this book, but again, this was number 2 in a series. But at least there's only ONE book that I risk not enjoying as much as I would otherwise. And I WILL read more by Juliet Marrillier, I could hardly put this book down at all.

And then I started on Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf, but I haven't finished that one yet. So, thoughts on that one later.

And then I got in trouble. I had only brought those two books, ....

Janet Evanovich: Eleven on Top. Of course, if I'm about to read a book that's part of a series, I WILL want to start with number eleven. :) I thought it was a funny book and I will keep an eye out for more Stephanie Plum-novels, when I feel like light reading. I guess I won't bother to read them in order..

Oh no, I hate when I run out of books! Janet Evanovich are a great choice, I like them because they are a light easy read that always give me a laugh:)

Mrs Dalloway finished. Some of the language is absolutely brilliant, but on the whole, I found it a bit boring. Many of the classics I read are like that, with excellent use of language but oh so slow. Do you have any suggestions for classics that are fast-paced reads? They don't need to be short books, that's not what I mean, they just have to make me want to turn pages to see what happens next. Jane Austen I have read. Wuthering Heights is one of my all-time favourite books. Another classic I genuinely enjoyed was The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Ooh, two good suggestions, hurrah! I read a children's version of The Count of Monte Christo back in the days when I fit the target group, it might be worth reading the complete version.

.. and off to the Trusted Local Library I go!

By the way, I finished a book this morning, too. Finnish author Kaari Utrio, book name Vanajan Joanna. Kaari Utrio is a great favourite of mine, historical fiction at its best. And she does her research thouroughly, but still its not presented in a dry way.