Reading? What a waste of time...

Colin Jacobs

To my mind, no pursuit is a waste of time if it makes the individual happy and content.

I'm sure it could be argued that almost any pursuit is a waste of time. What's the point of doing a jigsaw when you take it apart again when you've completed it? Or the point of chasing a football up and down a pitch?

But I totally agree with kernow_reader - it's not a waste of time if you enjoy doing it. To each their own: everyone has their own hobbies and interests and should be able to enjoy them without being ridiculed. People who makes comments like reading being a waste of time are frankly just too stupid to think about things properly and should be ignored.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mix, or speak to anyone if I can help it.

There's a book that opens with the sentences: "I do not love mankind. People think they are interesting. That is their first mistake. Every retiree you meet wants to supply you with their own life story".

I don't even talk to myself anymore :blush:.

Thanks for the explanation. :blush:

the full name is mmorpg (massive multiplayer online roleplay game) Many of my friends play wow/similar..its soul destroying, listening to them go on about fairies and elves and space ships all day. Its true what was said, it consumes some people.

As for the weird club: Way ahead of you

I get weird looks for:

Always wearing a hat

Odd slogans on my tshirts (todays: geek by day, online superhero by night)

The strange opinions I take sometimes

My wide range of books

My wide range of movies

My music

..lets just say I recieve a lot of odd looks.

I get that a lot because I am the only one out of my siblings that enjoys reading books, all I hear off the three of them is, 'Our Paula always has her head in a book', I have to wonder, where else would they like my head to be?:blush:

My family aren't very bookish and seem to think that I'm possessed of unusually high intelligence (mainly because I read a lot AND wear glasses!). If only they knew how little goes on in my head!:blush:

I have often questioned myself "Why *do* you read so much?

What are you actually gaining from it all? Isn't it a waste of time?"

To my mind, no pursuit is a waste of time if it makes the individual happy and content.[/size]

I've questioned myself about it too (most recently this morning), and mainly in regards to money...'is it worth spending $x on a book that you'll only read once or twice?' Then I remembered how, on Friday as I was walking to a bookshop, I realised I was smiling just at the mere thought of going to look at books. It takes a lot to make me genuinely smile and if books do that for me, then who cares how much money I'm spending to do it? :D

at School I spent my dinner hour browsing the library and settling down to read the reference books. soon the windows would be covered by peering children trying to break my concentration. I do not want to be one of the boys I prefer my own company and my books.

You go Colin! I like your attitude :)

I am also thought of as weird, and given weird looks, when I tell people I don't drink alcohol. It's like a cardinal sin in Australia (and probably most other countries, I expect).

My family aren't very bookish and seem to think that I'm possessed of unusually high intelligence (mainly because I read a lot AND wear glasses!). If only they knew how little goes on in my head!:blush:

Same here! My Mum thinks I'm smart because I read a lot :readingtwo: If only!

Books unfortunately have a reputation among non-readers for being boring. Once they've got the idea in their heads, it's very hard to change their minds. To those people I would say that if you think reading is boring, then you just haven't found the right book yet!

I've questioned myself about it too (most recently this morning), and mainly in regards to money...'is it worth spending $x on a book that you'll only read once or twice?' Then I remembered how, on Friday as I was walking to a bookshop, I realised I was smiling just at the mere thought of going to look at books. It takes a lot to make me genuinely smile and if books do that for me, then who cares how much money I'm spending to do it? :blush:

Precisely! :D I get really thrilled and excited about seeing, touching, holding, having, buying new books. I don't drink, don't smoke, am not into make up, nails, hairdos, clubs, parties etc, own few possessions...Might sound weird and boring to some? But I'm happy. And content. Much of my money ends up in the local bookshop but I don't regret it in anyway at all.

I am also thought of as weird, and given weird looks, when I tell people I don't drink alcohol. It's like a cardinal sin in Australia (and probably most other countries, I expect).

I get this too. Then people say "Go on! Try one. It'll do you good". :D

Same here! My Mum thinks I'm smart because I read a lot :readingtwo: If only!

Hmm, don't think anyone thinks I'm smart. Most peole I know say I'm

not safe to be out on my own. :) I have had comments about certain books when I've been observed reading them. But to me they are just a good read, something that appeals to me. I don't consider myself, or anyone else for that matter, of a lesser or higher intellect based on what they read. I am okay with words but can't add 2 + 2. My OH can just about spell "cat" but is amazing with money and numbers. He reads the Daily Express. I won't read anything but a broadsheet. In life skills,

general conversations, verbal expression and social interaction he knocks me off my feet! Who's to say who's smarter than who. :)

Being considered weird doesn't bother me, in fact I think of it as a compliment - I would much rather be weird and a bit different to boring. Boring to me is going out every weekend getting drunk and spending all your money on useless junk, like the latest this and the latest that - most of the stuff we sell at work in fact !

I have always been a bit weird - and was bullied most of my way through school for being so - for being shy, for wearing glasses, for being clever, but most of all, for being sensitive. It is that sensitivity though that makes me who I am, and gives me that appreciation for the finer things in life - Green and Blacks chocolate, beautiful sunsets and yes, even books ! It is that same sensitivity that enables me observe what goes in the world and write about it so effectively.

I don't think that buying books can ever be a waste of time - books make you laugh amd cry, they make you question the things that happen in the world, and what we see around us, they teach us about ourselves in ways that nothing else can.

I get weird looks for:

Always wearing a hat

Odd slogans on my tshirts (todays: geek by day, online superhero by night)

The strange opinions I take sometimes

My wide range of books

My wide range of movies

My music

..lets just say I recieve a lot of odd looks.

It's so hard being young these days! Apparently, I should be getting drunk instead of reading books - as it commands a great deal more respect from my peers. People don't give me odd looks until they start talking to me, at which point they may choose to back away slowly :blush:

I am also thought of as weird, and given weird looks, when I tell people I don't drink alcohol. It's like a cardinal sin in Australia (and probably most other countries, I expect)

Pretty sure it's against the law not to drink alcohol, Kylie. The XXXX and Miscellaneous Provisions Act of 1932 applies :blush:

It's so hard being young these days! Apparently, I should be getting drunk instead of reading books - as it commands a great deal more respect from my peers. People don't give me odd looks until they start talking to me, at which point they may choose to back away slowly :blush:
At least they back away from you slowly, they tend to actually run once I start...

Being considered weird doesn't bother me, in fact I think of it as a compliment - I would much rather be weird and a bit different to boring. Boring to me is going out every weekend getting drunk and spending all your money on useless junk, like the latest this and the latest that - most of the stuff we sell at work in fact !

I agree. It's good to be different. :blush:

I don't think that buying books can ever be a waste of time - books make you laugh amd cry, they make you question the things that happen in the world, and what we see around us, they teach us about ourselves in ways that nothing else can.

Very nicely put, Talisman!

Pretty sure it's against the law not to drink alcohol, Kylie. The XXXX and Miscellaneous Provisions Act of 1932 applies :D

:readingtwo: Ssh, please don't tell anyone!

People who don't read don't realise how it can help you in your life.

When I was going through a messy divorce reading was my escape. It helped me cope because I could switch off from my life for a bit.

Baron de Montesquieu said 'I have never found any distress that an hour's reading did not relieve' and I think he's right. (Read this on a Waterstones bookmark !)

Robson

I haven't really had anyone say to me that it's a waste of time to read, but I do tend to get fuzzy looks when someone new comes to the house. They kind of stare and the first thing out of their mouth is "have you read all these books?", then when I say "not yet", they kind of glaze over and nod as though they understand, but obviously they don't as evidenced by the blank stare.

It's so much fun. :) :)

I can't say I've ever had that comment directed at me either. A lot of my friends read and a lot of my colleagues do too. My family are also quite bookish. A couple of colleagues I know never read and hate the idea, but they are in the minority. I can't understand them.

waste of time? :)

pontalba - I know that look well.. :) altho, I usually point out my new books as the ones I have not read yet, and then they look at the rest of the room with a bemused expression..

that's the non readers though, anyone else looks like a kid in a candy store, until I tell them I do not lend books any more.

• 2 months later...

Ah, I get this alot. Especially at school. It's a shame, I understand not everyone likes the same things but alot of people do tend to dismiss reading without even giving it a go or after reading a book they found boring for school. There's something out there for everyone, I'm sure everyone can find at least one book they can enjoy.

I don't mind much though, it's their loss not mine. I just don't appreciate it when people are so rude about it.

• 2 weeks later...