A new first line of current book

Nici

"Wars came early to Shanghai,overtaking each other like the tides that raced up the Yangtze and returned to this gaudy city all the coffins cast adrift from the funeral piers of the Chinese Bund." - Empire of the Sun - J.G Ballard

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She was looking for a man named Arch Wilson and she was walking south-westward, alone, towards the middle of the country, with another fifty or sixty miles to go.

The Feast of July ~ H E Bates

It's the last Monday of the month, a brutally gorgeous morning brimming with blur air and the sweet scent of honeysuckle, which grows wild in the woods beyond Front Street, when Ethan Ford fails to show up for work.

Blue Diary ~ Alice Hoffman

There are various ways of mending a broken heart, but perhaps going to a learned conference is one of the more unusual.

No Fond Return of Love by Barbara Pym

• 2 weeks later...

I first met him on a black wet night towards the end of the war, in one of those station buffets where the solitary spoon used to be tied to the counter by a piece of string.

The Evolution of Saxby ~ H.E. Bates

JOHNATHAN HARKER'S JOURNAL

(kept in shorthand)

3 May. Bistritz - Left Munich at 8.35p.m. on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning; should have arrived at 6.46, but train was an hour late.

Dracula ~by~ Bram Stoker :lol:

On an evening in the latter part of May a middle-aged man was walking homeward from Shaston to the village of Marlott, in the adjoining Vale of Blackmore or Blackmoor - Tess of the D'Urbervilles, Thomas Hardy.

In the opening pages of Lucky Man, I described a morning in Florida nineteen years ago when I woke up with a hangover and a twitching left pinky finger. ~ Always looking up by Michael J. Fox

'The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive.' - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

It is a relatively little-known fact that, over the course of a single year, about twenty million letters are delivered to the dead.

The Lollipop Shoes by Joanne Harris

That is a very interesting "fact". Could it possibly be actually true, I wonder...