A new first line of current book

Nici

Heiko, feigning sleep, kept her breathing deep and slow, her muscles relaxed but not slack, her lips closed, at the very edge of parting. her eyes soft beneathunfuttering eyelids, her hooded gaze turned within, to the calm place at the centre of her being.

Cloud of Sparrows~Takashi Matsouka

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lisa lay gingerly in her deep aromatherapy bubble bath and looked at the 8" x 10" picture she had taken from the top of the piano downstairs and brought up there with her.

Things I Want My Daughters To Know - Elizabeth Noble

This one is from a Dutch book:

'Ik liep mijn ongeluk tegemoet, maar opgewekt.'

Roughly translated as 'I went to meet my misfortune, but cheerfuly.'

The book is 'Het Slotfeest' by Jacques Kruithof.

I like this thread a lot. It drew my attention to many books from authors I don't even know, but I'm so curious that I can't wait to read them! Another one I like, simple yet very effective, is:

'Call me Ismael' from 'Moby Dick' by Herman Melville. It draws the reader in immediately.

I finished 'Forrest Gump' by Winston Groom recently, it was even funnier than the movie. :) First line:

'Let me say this: bein a idiot is no box of chocolates.'

And first sentence of 'Gump & Co.':

'Let me say this: Everybody makes mistakes, which is why they put a rubber mat around spitoons.'

"I'd never given much thought to how I would die - though I'd had reason enough in the last few months - but even if I had I would not have imagined it like this." Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.

In the early Fifties, when San Juan first became a tourist town, an ex-Jockey named Al Arbonito built a bar in the patio behind his house on Calle O'Leary.

The Rum Diary by Hunter S Thompson

There will be days, maybe not now but in the months and even years to come, when she happens to be on your mind and the phone will ring and without thinking you'll pick up, wondering if this could be her calling to let you know she's all right.

Home Before Dark - Charles Maclean

No more than five days after she had despatched an urgent missive to her brother, the Most Honourable the Marquis of Alverstoke, requesting him to visit her at his earliest convenience, the widowed Lady Buxted was relieved to learn from her youngest daughter that Uncle Vernon had just driven up to the house, wearing a coat with dozens of capes, and looking as fine as fivepence.

Frederica by Georgette Heyer

The mind after a sharp blow to the head is like a house after a hurricane: unrecognizable shards, shreds and splinters

Random Acts of Heroic Love- Danny Scheinmann

"Our second wedding anniversary. I'm about to tell Tom our marriage is over when he spots something in the sand".

Playing with the Moon - Eliza Graham

Carole

Have read this one....was a really good.