Have you read a book more than once?

Inver

Guest Tiresias

For me, the pleasures of rereading are greater than the surprises of a first read. You remember the way, and are free to enjoy the journey without worrying about getting lost.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love re-reading favorite books of mine. I get to experience all over again the reason why I loved them, so who wants to pass up that opportunity?!

I've re-read Maeve Binchy's 'Circle of Friends' several times, along with Dumas' 'Count of Monte Cristo,' King's 'The Shining' and the 7 books in the art mystery series by Iain Pears. I also re-read Matthew Pearl's 'The Dante Club' on my trip to New England a few years ago. It was great to read a book while vacationing in the same place it was set.

I actually just finished re-reading one of my favorite novels, The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay. It had been a couple of years since I read it last, and I learned things about the characters I hadn't picked up on before. I was, as usual, sorry for it to end. I don't re-read a lot, but I usually enjoy it when I do.

surely if you have already read a book and know the ending how can you enjoy turning page after page not knowing what will happen. I just cannot get my head around it.

It's all about the journey, not the destination :friends0:

It's not all about finding out what happens, for me it's about the feeling you get from the story, the moods and emotions that are created. I read A Christmas Carol every christmas, because I love the christmassy feel to the book, the crisp air and message.

I re-read Wuthering Heights this year as I went to Yorkshire, reading the book in Yorkshire meant that I got something new from it, I was surrounded by the scenery described in the pages, it made the story have more of an impact.

There are quite a few I've read multiple times that i know I'll read again and again:

The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett

The Stand by Stephen King (complete and unabridged edition)

Maia by Richard Adams

Savages by Shirley Conran

The Chronicles of Narnia by C S Lewis

Most of Ben Elton's books

There are others too that I read and reread in childhood that I plan to read to Tadpole and enjoy all over again. :friends0:

All the time. I have my favourite books that I read time and time again. Books by P.G. Wodehouse, Gerald Durrell, Lillian Beckwith, Mary Wesley, Colleen MacCulloch, R.F.Delderfield ....and heaps of others. They are my comfort books. :friends0: I'm a bit like you Supergran, I like big sagas too, I don't know how many times I've read Gone With the Wind now.

surely if you have already read a book and know the ending how can you enjoy turning page after page not knowing what will happen. I just cannot get my head around it.

When you've got a memory like mine, half the time you can't remember how a book finished anyway :friends0:

I re-read most of my books. When I had to be really careful about how much money I spent on books, I only bought those books that I knew I would re-read, and the rest of my reading I borrowed from the library. Now that I'm neither studying nor staying at home with children, I sometimes buy books that I actually haven't read. But I still tend to be picky as to which books I buy, from habit I guess. A book that you have read is like an old friend.

Well see Colin, its like watching a movie again and again. There is always something you didnt notice the first time. Its the same with books, on the second, third or fourth even, you are bound to find something that maybe you skipped over before, or a character that you didnt take so much notice of the first time.

I have lost count of the number of times I have watched Gone With the Wind, so I will never tire of reading the book. The Thornbirds is like the Australian GWTW I suppose, its a giant of a story and I will never tire of going through all the traumas and heartaches again and again.

Pride and Prejudice reading it just a few months ago, was like reading it as a new book, the characters seemed more developed. The scene between Darcy and Elizabeth when he proposes marriage and she slaps him down I will never tire of reading. In fact I read that scene alone 3 times on this reading.

Also I cannot justify the time re reading I just want to read new stuff after every book I finish.

I don't reread stuff very often, but as others have said, in the case of many books, it's more about the journey than the destination! I do love to try new stuff though:)

I do reread, sometimes several times if only to get a timeline straight in my head especially if it is for a discussion. But one can always get more out of it as has been said above, and really just wait a few years and rereading will be like the first reading sometimes.

There are some books that I am so anxious to know the ending I sweep through like a house afire, I know I miss details, but I have to know what happens, then I can go back and reread in a more relaxed manner.

Personally I can never understand why people:

a) Re-read books unless they've forgotten what they're about or the books are absolute favourites

:friends0: Watch films repeatedly - my brother is a serial DVD buyer - and seems to buy films he freely admits were 'just ok'

What's the point of that?!!

The only books I have ever reread are Wuthering Heights and To Kill A Mockingbird because they are favorites of mine and because they were assignments in school. I just have too many new books on my shelf and ones that are calling my name at the library to even consider rereading anything.

its like watching a movie again and again. There is always something you didnt notice the first time. Its the same with books, on the second, third or fourth even, you are bound to find something that maybe you skipped over before, or a character that you didnt take so much notice of the first time.
I agree with what Supergran said. I think it is like someone going home again after they've been away for awhile. Everything looks basically the same, but there are a few surprises to discover. It is nice to do that from time to time.

B) Watch films repeatedly - my brother is a serial DVD buyer - and seems to buy films he freely admits were 'just ok'

What's the point of that?!!

I have a lot of DVDs but I only buy those that I know I'll watch over and over.

There are some books that I am so anxious to know the ending I sweep through like a house afire, I know I miss details, but I have to know what happens, then I can go back and reread in a more relaxed manner.

I was like that with the Harry Potter books. (I think probably a lot of people were!) :blush:

I dont think I'd re read a thriller or a mystery but I re-read some of my favourites. I do think that you find something additional to appreciate every time you read a fave book. I've re-read Dark Materials trilogy a few times, The Crimson Petal and the White by Michael Faber (but not too ofter because its huge!), The Hacienda by Lisa St Aubin De Teran and Hangover square by Patrick Hamilton. I'm planning to re-read Rebecca in the next month or so! Hope its as good as I remember

I do find it hard to re-read a book after its been made into a film, though!