Audiobooks?

Michelle

Does any one like listening to audio books? I have to admit that I have a tendency to skim over some descriptive bits in some books, whereas with an audio version, you have to listen to it all.

Mind you, I did once have a tape of old horror stories, which were really good.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a son who finds it really difficult to read books due to his dyslexia. He wanted to read Harry Potter and my sister in law bought it for him on tape. He has thoroughly enjoyed it. We have even been know to sit in the car listening to the end of a chapter - sad lot. It also keeps kids from fighting on a long journey.

I also think it does depend on the person that reads it as to how enjoyable they are. Stephen Fry is brilliant.

At the moment we're going through Lord of the Rings read by Rob Inglis. It might take us several weeks!

• 3 weeks later...

I love Audiobooks!

I find them very useful at night when I want to rest my eyes but not sleep and also in the car when I am travelling long distances!

I have a HUGE collection as well including all the Harry Potters, all the Terry Pratchetts, loads of Tolkien and Star Wars novels and stacks of misc other bits.

The only problem with audiobooks is that they tend to come on about 10CDs so thank god for the MP3 format that can shrink hours of book down onto a single disc for the car or portable MP3 player.

Audiobooks have been great. Have a condition that makes it hard to see properly sometimes, and I love books so much. My library has a great number of them, as they link up with all the local Librarys in the area...no cost to me. I find the audio helps settle my mind. :zzz:

The other discovery I made, was that I was more willing to try out previously avoided books/authors. You simply have less in this medium to choose from, so you start to go through them all (well nearly all). :spin:

Love 'em

• 1 month later...

I've listened to a few, but I mainly have radio plays, such as The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, or The Lord of the Rings. Dale & I listen to them last thing at night when we're dropping off. The other thing we often listen to is the Blackadder series' which are available on CD & audio cassette. Trouble is, we fall asleep, so we end up having to listen to the same side over & over again unless we know them backwards...

Nah, I like opening a good book & devoting my time to turning the pages - it's very satisfying.

• 7 months later...

Thanks Michelle, I hadn't seen this thread before.

I love audio books as well. I'm on and off a computer all day so I like to listen to an audiobook last thing at night before I go to bed to rest my eyes.

They also make washing up, ironing, and all those other jobs that I hate doing around the house less boring.

I usually borrow mine from the local library, buy them at car boots, charity shops etc., or record them on Sky+ from One Word Radio.

Carole

:lol:

I gave audiobooks to my (at the time) boyfriends two Grandmothers. I thought it a good idea as one could not go out of the house and one is going blind.

Audiobooks are something I have often thought would be a good idea, but then I have always gone for the real thing whe I buy books and skipped over audio ones. I would obviously rather read. It would have to be well read for me to listen to it if I got one.

Its a long time since I listened to an audio book, but I've been meaning to do it again as I love being read to. Of course it depends on who the reader is. As someone else said, the reader has to be on the same wavelength for maximum enjoyment. I also agree that listening to something is a good way of introducing you to new stuff. I am much more likely to persevere with a radio 4 book reading for instance, than a book that looks a bit iffy when I pick it up off the shop shelf, or start to read and get bored.

Guest jake

I've never listened to an audiobook. We have a special edition case of Lord of the Rings in tape form (never been opened) and P has them all on CD too (never opened either). Eve has all the HP's on CD and loves listening to them in bed.

I really need to get some new audio books & radio plays - our tapes are all starting to go a bit squiffy form over-use & we know them all backwards. I can quote any given episode of Blackadder from seasons 2, 3 or 4, verbatum, as well as the entirety of the Primary & Secondary phases of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'm a little hazier on the Sherlock Holmes ones, but both The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings radio plays are wearing out now too & we could pretty much perform them, songs included, from start to finish - LOL!