Book Condition

If there's a similar thread to this and/or this is in the wrong section, feel free to disregard it :]

I really am wondering whether I have a bit of an OCD about my books, or if I'm in the majority in wanting to keep them in a good condition. I don't have a problem with lending my books to people, unless it's an all time favourite and I'm always flicking back to it (I tend to lend books and then have a sudden urge to start reading it at a stupid hour xD). However, my biggest pet peeve is when people bend the pages back to read it and ruin the spine. It seriously makes me cringe, and not even when it's one of my books, haha.

Are you ever weary about lending books to people? I don't have a problem with it if they're a good friend, but I sort of expect people to respect them. Or am I just really obsessed and it's just about getting the story rather than preserving the quality of the book? It doesn't even have to be a pet peeve about lending books - would you ever write in your copies to point out your favourite passages? Or fold the page over to keep your place?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my brother-in-law seems to consider me somethng of a Book Nazi. He loves being one of the few people I'll loan books to freely, but he panics about breaking the spines on them because even after I've read them, they look pretty much pristine unless they're VERY thick books and it was unavoidable. :)

If I buy my books new, I like them to look as new as possible for as long as possible, but I fully understand that accidents happen when they're loaned out (or even when I'M reading them!) and I'm pretty laid back about it. Even so, there are only really a few folks I'll lend books to these days - folks I know will return them! I've lost too many books when people just didn't give them back. :hissyfit:

Hahah, it's good to know I'm not alone! It is really hard to keep bigger books looking neat, though most of my larger books are hard back so it's easier. Another thing that bothers me about hard-backs though is the covers! I usually take them off but they just seem like such a waste, lol.

Grrr, hunt down the book stealers! Fortunately, I've not had that problem; I think I'm too persistent to lose them, haha. I'm the 'Are you done yet?!' sort of person, haha.

If I buy a new book I like to keep it looking nice. I am scared to touch them sometimes, but keeping books nice is not always easy.

My bible (or the one I most read) followed me around uni for four years, went to church and christian union and other meetings with me, and even came home with me a lot and back again. I ended up buying a case to put it in because the cover was in a terrible state. You don't want to see the binding or the numerous pencil (and pen) marks. It is the only book I have written though, apart from a few textbooks in pencil. I read it with my daughter every morning though, and although she is normally very good with books, she has ripped a few pages a little. Mostly just small tears, but a couple of big ones. Last week she ripped off a small corner and ripped some words out of one of the most important verses of all, so there is some sellotape in it too.

I too have lost books I have loaned out, and one was very precious, so I am very aware of lending books.

I have tried my best to teach my daughter to be nice to books (she is only 13 months old), while at the same time trying to let her find a love for reading books. She will happily pull a few books off her shelves and sit looking through them while talking to herself (usually upside down). She has her favourites too. She only ever rips them very occasionally. In a couple of weeks I will have a new little girl to read to and teach.

Although I like the look of brand new books, I also love my books when they're more obviously well-read, with cracked spines and bent pages. It's evidence that I (or someone else, in the case of a used book) enjoyed the book very much. Most of my books have a slightly distressed look and feel to them, but since they're mine, I don't care!:)

I understand that reading books leads to them being worn and general wear and tear is unavoidable sometimes. I, however, hate to bend a book. Even hardback books I don't bend too far back. I can read a book and no-one would ever know. That's how I like to keep them too.

I can't help wondering, do we have different opinions on this as regards the reader of the book? Would you think differently if somebody else damaged one of your books, and if you yourself damaged one?

Me, I can be a clumsy fool, so I either get very mad at myself or just let it go. With other people, I don't want to be nasty, or appear that way, and I know that general wear and tear and accidents happen, but would expect a certain amount of respect to books if i lent them out.

I solve that problem by not lending books out any more; when people bother to return them they're invariably dog eared or with the spines broken or with coffee mug stains. So now if someone says, "Can I borr-" I interrupt with a curt, "No. I never lend books out. So don't ask."

That means something different to me ... just general bent-ness of the corners from being carried around and manhandled rather than corners purposely being turned in order to save the page.

(I'm cringing as I type that, you know)

Dog-eared pages bug me more, because such shameless damage to my precious tomes is deliberate - DELIBERATE!!! Carelessness I could forgive (after violent punishment) but there is a special room of hell reserved for the Dog-Earers.

Dog-eared pages bug me more, because such shameless damage to my precious tomes is deliberate - DELIBERATE!!! Carelessness I could forgive (after violent punishment) but there is a special room of hell reserved for the Dog-Earers.

That's what I was saying.

Is it still punishable by hanging by the neck until dead or is that piracy of the high seas?

I get the two confused

Crumbs, I 'm sweating now - Ireceived a book by post loaned to me in perfect condition - I 'm even more nervous about reading it now - I'll have to wrap it in something and where gloves :)

That's not standard practice for you? :hissyfit:

Crumbs, I 'm sweating now - Ireceived a book by post loaned to me in perfect condition - I 'm even more nervous about reading it now - I'll have to wrap it in something and where gloves :)

Hey Paula -

Relax Missy, I dont want it back, please read it - enjoy it and pass it on.

My favourite books are precious and rarely leave my sight but most paperbacks I am happy to pass on to others. I simply dont have room to keep everything and rarely re-read, so I like to pass them on.

I joined Book Crossing and love the idea of it all - releasing books into the wild for others to enjoy. I left a book in the Canary Isles and its now in Sweden how great is that?

It is better than them sitting sadly on my shelf only having been read once, books are to be enjoyed. Its like the idea of a pristine house not being a true home.

HOWEVER - If I lent out a precious book I would be absolutley gutted if it came back with folded corners, a broken spine, marks or coffee stains, dog eared, written on or smelling of smoke:motz::hissyfit::motz: - you get the idea.....

I do expect that if a person borrows one of my books they are as respectful as I would be of theirs. I would therefore expect that a bookmark be used and no corners be turned down (but then that's just general considerate behaviour when the book isn't yours, surely?). I understand that general wear and tear ahppens and so if the spine gets cracked, then so be it. If something gets spilled, well, of course I'd prefer that not to happen, but accidents happen - they can't be helped - that's why theyr'e called accidents.

I have only ever borrowed one book that was new, and it was on this forum. I was very, very careful with it. I have borrowed other books and been repectful of those too. I have to say though, that I think I have a new found respect for books since visiting this forum.

I've been reading this thread chuckling to myself! I am terrible when it comes to the condition of my books - I won't lend any to anybody now, and that includes my OH. When I've read a book it still looks new but I've never met anyone else the same. My OH reads a book - he breaks the spine, he folds down corners and all sorts of travesties! It's become a running joke in this house that as soon as anyone picks up a book I offer them a bookmark :)

Michelle once lent my son an autographed book to read, he was so terrified, I had to read it for him!:)

No, Michelle's not that scary it's just Jason.:hissyfit:

If you lent someone a dress, they wouldn't calmly return it ripped and filthy would they? Why should it be different with anything else?