Book Condition

It was all I could do not to insult her in front of everyone that she had no business selling books!!!
You should have done, I would have :irked:! That is, if I didn't faint first. The sight of all those mangled books... *gasps for air* some people just have no respect :). Edited by BookJumper
9am grammar...

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a book is clean, tight, without pen or marker and without tears, that's usually enough to keep me happy. Slightly yellow pages, the occasional bend in the spine, even slight curling or stickers or maybe a name, I can live with it.

Unless it's something I really really want, as my preferred condition is of course STRAIGHT OUT OF THE FACTORY, or as good as. If it's a hardback, it'd better be in good shape because I'm buying it hardback for a reason.

I'm not too picky about the condition of the books I buy because I'm used to buying secondhand and for the price I'm paying for those I cannot be expecting excellent condition.

Only one time have I been really disappointed: I bought an Adrian Mole diary on adlibris.com, secondhand, and when I got the book it was moist. The envelope itself was dry and seemed fine so I suspected the book had been put in the envelope in a moist condition. It had grown mildew on the front covers!!! They were actually becoming green. I was so sickened. Hatemail was written and I got another secondhand copy of the same book for free. Thank goodness for that.

I've just realised something. I want a book to look spic and span when I buy it. Other people of course have to treat my volumes like relics, and special editions are unlikely to leave the house even in my care, but as for paperbacks - if, during the journey of intimate discovery which I call hefting the same book around in my bag for two months, a book should get a bit bruised, it's (almost) alright... it makes it more mine, in a sense. But there's nothing mine about a book that gets to me bruised.

I've just realised something. I want a book to look spic and span when I buy it. Other people of course have to treat my volumes like relics, and special editions are unlikely to leave the house even in my care, but as for paperbacks - if, during the journey of intimate discovery which I call hefting the same book around in my bag for two months, a book should get a bit bruised, it's (almost) alright... it makes it more mine, in a sense. But there's nothing mine about a book that gets to me bruised.

I can kind of understand that, although I don't necessarily agree in all cases. If a 2nd hand paperback already has breaks in the spine, it's not quite the same as buying a brand new one - the satisfaction from the feel, smell and 'breaking it in' yourself! But to see a 2nd hand 'bruised' book that interests you, particularly one hard to find elsewhere...

But to see a 2nd hand 'bruised' book that interests you, particularly one hard to find elsewhere...

Of course, hard to find books are a different kettle of fish. If a book I want is out of print and available bruised at a second hand shop, I'll get it (always harbouring the secret hope of finding a replacement copy in better shape, though); however, if the book is freely available I tend to wait until I've got the money to buy it new. In fact, I do a lot of browsing and taking notes in second hand stores (as opposed to the browsing to buy I engage in in first hand stores)... then it's off to Amazon I go.

I bought a second hand book off ebay (Postcards From The Boys - Ringo Starr) not too long ago, when i got it and opened it up the pages were stained yellow and had a stomach churning smell of cat wee. Put me off buying second hand from the internet.

I bought a second hand book off ebay (Postcards From The Boys - Ringo Starr) not too long ago, when i got it and opened it up the pages were stained yellow and had a stomach churning smell of cat wee. Put me off buying second hand from the internet.

Perhaps the previous owner of the book was actually a cat, who really hadn't enjoyed it..! :D

That's certainly rather offputting, though - people usually say what the condition is like of the thing they're selling, in which case, I assume the seller had misleadingly indicated the book was in at least a reasonable condition.

When I get a new book, I like to keep it in good condition. If something happens to it, unless it's really bad than I don't mind it too much. I did stop lending books to someone though because he allowed rain to reach my book and then didn't even apologize.

I don't mind my books showing signs of wear - I buy a lot from charity shops and second hand book shops so expect the books to be a bit tatty. As long as the pages are clean :D

However, I do love brand new books. There is something so satisfying in that first break of the spine.

Yesterday I received Alan Bennet's The Uncommon Reader from BookMooch; meant to be in excellent condition, it was water damaged; the packaging was dry and intact so it did not happen in transit.

Instead of leaving negative feedback (I've stopped doing that since I was last viciously insulted for being "ungrateful", I don't like confrontation much), I emailed the giver to express my concerns and I was insulted yet again.

I don't deserve this. Not all collectors are minted, some of us have to resort to the used book trade and rely on people's honesty re: books being in the condition they say they are. What's this about not even having the right to be :D-ed off when we've clearly been lied to?

Joining has made me

I don't think I'm particularly precious about my books, as I don't have any special first editions (apart from one signed by an author), and although I buy nearly all new books instead of second hand, most of my books are ordinary paperbacks that I've probably bought as cheap as possible. I don't mistreat my books on purpose, but they get bashed about in my bag, I read while eating and drinking so occasionally get crumbs or coffee drips on them, and then they get crammed into whatever shelf space I've got when I've finished them.

However, I loaned a couple of books to a friend at my reading group this week, and she actually asked me if I'd read them because she thought they were in pristine condition! I was amazed, and she even insisted on moving them off the table when the tea and coffee got handed around, in case someone accidentally spilt a drink near them.

That is despicable, BigWords. As is the fact that people see it fit to identify remaindered books with big black marker slashes across the bottom of the page :D why would I want to pay a couple of pounds for a book so ruined? A couple of pence, maybe, and then only if the book was out of print and absolutely unfindable.

I don't know if this is as common as the black marker across the top (or bottom) of a book, but there are a number of books I have seen with a slot cut out through the top as well, about halfway along paperbacks. I think there must be a specific tool used to cut through so many pages, because they seem to do it by batches - line up a bunch of paperbacks, and the canyon runs along eight or nine copies perfectly lined up...

I bought my one (and only) copy of Steve Canyon newspaper reprints with this defect, precisely because the book filled in a gap. Had there been one without a chunk cut out it I would have bought elsewhere. I'm sure there is a name for this kind of thing, but can't think for the life of me what it is.

• 1 month later...

Right, I'm officially :D off.

I know it's cold and one doesn't want to be delivering parcels at five in the afternoon but is there any need for packages of books to look like they've been used as a football for the past week? My Amazon books arrived at last today, and nearly all of them have mangled corners. I dread to think what I'll discover in daylight. Then it'll be a case of deciding whether I can be bothered to send them back for replacements, which I probably will have to be as it will just vex me otherwise.

*GROWL*