Random Chat

muggle not

Went picking berries on Wednesday. Picked a few blueberries and also some blackberries. Letting the blueberries sit for a while before putting in Refrigerator to make sure they are all ripe. Also bought a half peck of peaches. I should be set for lunches for a while.

IMG_2527.JPG

Edited by muggle not
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Berry nice! :D 

Now, the question is.....did you count them as you lay them out? I think I would have been tempted to start counting them, but would have then probably given up about a quarter of the way through, and have carried out a berry guestimate!

p.s. I LOVE the moose!  As Scottish might say..."There's a Moose in ya hoose!" :) 

Edited by Chrissy

That would have taken a while to lay your 'few berries' out, Muggle 😁

Blueberries are a ridiculous price here. We can get frozen ones, but they come with a warning that they must be cooked as there is a danger of hepatitis  ... rather off-putting.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Berry nice! :D 

Now, the question is.....did you count them as you lay them out? I think I would have been tempted to start counting them, but would have then probably given up about a quarter of the way through, and have carried out a berry guestimate!

p.s. I LOVE the moose!  As Scottish might say..."There's a Moose in ya hoose!" :) 

No counting. 😄

My GD bought the moose for us when she worked in Alaska as an intern after graduating from college.

4 hours ago, poppy said:

Blueberries are a ridiculous price here. We can get frozen ones, but they come with a warning that they must be cooked as there is a danger of hepatitis  ... rather off-putting.

🙂 It took longer to pick the blueberries.

Blueberries have also gone up significantly in price here.  Those blueberries that you see cost me $24 to pick when a few years ago it would have been $18.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2023 at 9:29 AM, poppy said:

Hepatitis..?..weird.

19 hours ago, itsmeagain said:

Hepatitis..?..weird.

They were imported berries and traced back to Serbia. Quite a few people have got Hep A from the berries and ended up in hospital. Why we need to import berries when we grow plenty of our own is a mystery. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, poppy said:

They were imported berries and traced back to Serbia. Quite a few people have got Hep A from the berries and ended up in hospital. Why we need to import berries when we grow plenty of our own is a mystery. 

Wow, that's quite bad and worrying too.

5 hours ago, poppy said:

I recall the flights documentaries on our UK channels, showing people being charged 200 dollars when arriving in New Zealand with an apple given on the plane. This episode will increase such fears 😨 

Edited by itsmeagain

On 6/30/2023 at 1:12 AM, muggle not said:

Went picking berries on Wednesday. Picked a few blueberries and also some blackberries. Letting the blueberries sit for a while before putting in Refrigerator to make sure they are all ripe. Also bought a half peck of peaches. I should be set for lunches for a while.

IMG_2527.JPG

Fruit feast. Super delicious and healthy. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, itsmeagain said:

I recall the flights documentaries on our UK channels, showing people being charged 200 dollars when arriving in New Zealand with an apple given on the plane. This episode will increase such fears 😨 

The apple posed a biosecurity risk - possibly carrying diseases or pests but it was pretty slack of the airline to be handing out apples when they knew the restrictions! You'd think customs would have let people off in this case 😏

The frozen berries are fine as long as they're cooked 😊

• Thanks 1

My mum wasn't allowed to bring an apple into New York years ago, due to possible pest carrying (as Poppy says above), there was a problem back then with such things so you weren't allowed to bring fruit in,I think a lot of countries have the same policy now.

• Like 1

We drove up to our favorite orchard in Piney River, Virginia today to buy some peaches. While there we bought some fresh corn-on-the-cob which we had for dinner.

My Peaches.JPG

358664460_10161419001902164_5103216581952301120_n.jpg

Edited by muggle not
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, poppy said:

Beautiful looking peaches, Muggle 🤩 What are you going to do with them?

For the most part we just eat them as a snack and on cereal / oatmeal for breakfast. I also frequently have one for lunch. My wife bakes muffins and will put peach in them. The peaches that I posted are 15 yellow peaches and 21 white peaches.

The cost was approx. $21. I bought many more than what is shown and shared them with 2 of my neighbors. They paid their share.

They will last us approx. 3 weeks and then we will make another trip to the orchard as this is peach season. Next will be apple season. Blueberries and blackberries are winding down.

Edited by muggle not
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve never had a peach muffin but I love both peaches and muffins - I need to try this!! A little sad that I can’t go to a lovely orchard to buy baskets full of seasonal fruit, but I guess the supermarket will do 😄

7 hours ago, Hayley said:

I’ve never had a peach muffin but I love both peaches and muffins - I need to try this!! A little sad that I can’t go to a lovely orchard to buy baskets full of seasonal fruit, but I guess the supermarket will do 😄

Saunders Brothers orchard is one of my favorites. They have a nice selection of fruit:

Fruit Schedule.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, poppy said:

What an amazing selection, Muggles! My favourite are yellow nectarines 😊

3 hours ago, itsmeagain said:

Beautiful fruit selection. Outstanding variety.

Saunders brothers orchard is located in Nelson County, Virginia and is a favorite of mine. Nelson County has a good number of orchards, all nice, including Dickie Brothers which is oner 270 years old:

About Us (dickiebrothers.com)

DICKIE BROS. ORCHARD IS ONE OF THE OLDEST SAME FAMILY OWNED AND OPERATED FARMS IN THE U.S.A.

A family tradition 

Dickie Brothers Orchard has been in our family since England's King George II sold three tracts of land to our Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather
James Dickie in 1752, 1758 and 1760.  Grandpa James was required to begin working the land within 3 years.  Our family has been farming this land ever since...  270 years and 9 generations.   Now, that's sustainability!

15 hours ago, muggle not said:

Saunders brothers orchard is located in Nelson County, Virginia and is a favorite of mine. Nelson County has a good number of orchards, all nice, including Dickie Brothers which is oner 270 years old:

About Us (dickiebrothers.com)

DICKIE BROS. ORCHARD IS ONE OF THE OLDEST SAME FAMILY OWNED AND OPERATED FARMS IN THE U.S.A.

A family tradition 

Dickie Brothers Orchard has been in our family since England's King George II sold three tracts of land to our Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather
James Dickie in 1752, 1758 and 1760.  Grandpa James was required to begin working the land within 3 years.  Our family has been farming this land ever since...  270 years and 9 generations.   Now, that's sustainability!

That's amazing! Not many businesses can claim to be that old.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...