Pets - 2023

Hayley

Kevin was found abandoned in the woods aged 7 weeks. I nicknamed him Kevin the Kitten and  he was so beautiful that I was sure we'd find him a home (we already had two cats). By the time we all realised the French won't adopt black cats (silly people!) the name had stuck.

Despite her looks Sybs is 3/4 chat du rue but she's always been such a little princess that Sybil seemed to fit.

• Like 1

@France Dino and Ingie are gorgeous. Kevin is a great for-the-meantime name, but it's great how names just somehow work out and fit the animal. And yes, she does look like a Sybil! 

I once knew a cat called Herbert - as his owner said at the time, "He's looks a right proper Herbert!" And he was! 😄

I love the term Chat du rue. A much better term than stray. 

@Chrissy

Yes there is named behind the cats 😊 

They are as follows:

When we got Four he was previously named Tobias and I didn’t think it went with our surname.  At the time we were obsessed with the Divergent films (we still are!). One of the main characters was called Tobias but his nickname in the film was Four and at the time of getting Four, he was Four and so was our son.  So it kinda stuck (he’s now going to be 12 in May).

as for Pickett his previous owners couldn’t keep him as he was always locked away while the grandkids were around and his previous name was Toothless as when he stands to attention you can see the spikes in his fur, and again we weren’t keen on keeping his name and we found out he had a talent for chasing shiny things, so he reminded us of Pickett in Fantastic Beasts so he was then renamed to Pickett who’s going to be 5 in August this year…

And yes they both responds to their new names 😊 

• Like 2

@France & @NikkiJayne I LOVE hearing the stories behind the unusual pet names. Thank you

@Virginia I heard that "Rank Ru!" in a Scooby Doo voice in my head. 😃 And I've never asked you where he got his name. 

Many years ago we had rescue two cats, Bonny and Clyde. We planned on changing their names to potentially Honey and Cloud, so as not to confuse them. We didn't ultimately bother, but ended up calling them a variety of names that they always responded to just fine: Bon-bon, C boy etc. I think is food or cuddles are involved, pets rarely worry about what you are calling them. :yes:

• 5 months later...
On 2/7/2023 at 8:30 PM, Virginia said:

This is my goody boy, Savo. First pic was him graduating from his beginner's obedience (she almost UN-graduated him! 🤣) class. The second pic is when I was finally able to get him to smile at the camera. Last pic is him after trying some doggy CBD. He could barely get his head off the backseat!! 🤣

IMG_20211215_194709_999.jpg

IMG_20210522_132557_330.jpg

IMG_20210311_183948_112.jpg

Savo is 😍 beautiful 😍

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 12:11 PM, Madeleine said:

they are gorgeous.

There are also issues here with black cats, in that a lot of people won't foster or adopt them due to superstition......😝

I have never understood how people avoid such beautiful 😸 kitties.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We’ve had such a good experience with adopting Libby that we decided to adopt another rescue cat. Today we collected Rosie who’s had a bit of a rough start to life. She’s already pretty comfortable with us and hopefully when we start to introduce the cats to each other it will go equally as well.

IMG_1690.jpeg

• Like 2

Isn't she pretty! We had a cat who wasn't a rescue as such - she had been living wild in the forest and was tempted to live with humans by three square a day and a comfy billet when she was about 8 months old who was probably the most affectionate thing we've ever had. She never forgot where she came from though, each summer she would disappear to live wild, come back for two or three days to stuff herself and then go off again. When it got colder she would revert to being a fireside cat.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 4:19 PM, Brian. said:

Today we collected Rosie

Rosie is gorgeous! She looks like she has a little paint splotch on her nose 🥰.

On 8/8/2023 at 5:54 PM, France said:

each summer she would disappear to live wild, come back for two or three days to stuff herself and then go off again. When it got colder she would revert to being a fireside cat.

When you’re wild at heart but also very sensible lol. I love that 😄

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hayley said:

Rosie is gorgeous! She looks like she has a little paint splotch on her nose 🥰.

That was one of the first things I noticed when we first met her. We’ve started the process of introducing her and Libby and so far it seems to be going ok. There was been a little bit of hissing but no fighting. They also sometimes will sit within 2 feet of each other quite happily. 

How well they get on has been my main worry since we decided to get another cat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2023 at 7:22 AM, Hayley said:

When you’re wild at heart but also very sensible lol. I love that 😄

I think that's what's called having your cake and eating it, best of both worlds etc!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/8/2023 at 4:19 PM, Brian. said:

We’ve had such a good experience with adopting Libby that we decided to adopt another rescue cat. Today we collected Rosie who’s had a bit of a rough start to life. She’s already pretty comfortable with us and hopefully when we start to introduce the cats to each other it will go equally as well.

IMG_1690.jpeg

How's this kitty doing Brian..?...

7 hours ago, itsmeagain said:

How's this kitty doing Brian..?...

She's a bit of a minx at times but generally good as gold. We got a microchip cat flap installed and while Libby will use it happily Rosie refuses to go near the thing. They are very different in character, Rosie is much bolder and approaches most people as soon as she meets them. We were a little worried that Rosie would dominate Libby as Libby is quite small but she gives as good as she gets. They aren't best friends and probably never will be but they do like to chase each other around the house like lunatics. Rosie love attention though and loves nothing more than to curl up on my lap when I'm watching a movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1