Your Book Activity 2023

On 8/14/2023 at 12:32 AM, poppy said:

Just finished listening to The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham. First read this as a set book at school and may have read it again since. Found the dialogue a little dated, reminded me a bit of Nevil Shute, another author I've enjoyed in the past,  but it’s still a good story.

I'd never tried John Wyndham until a year or so ago, and have read both Day of the Triffids and Midwich Cuckoos since then.  Do agree about it feeling a little dated, but almost surprised myself as to how much I enjoyed both books. 

• Like 1

Given up on Barbara Kingsolver's Demon Copperfield after around 200 pages.  I loved David Copperfield upon which this is based, but that was half the problem, as you know what's going to happen to the characters as soon as they are introduced.  Found the narration flat, a monotone, with no real variation in shading (near constant mis-lit), lacking Dickens's lightness of touch, even though matching him in verbosity. Where, oh where, is the humour?  Very worthy.  I can still see why people enjoy this, but I really can't see why it was so lauded for the Pulitzer and Women's Prizes.  I'm not at all surprised that it's been passed over for the Booker. Thought Poisonwood Bible was excellent, enjoyed The Bean Trees, but since then it's been a steady turn-off through Unsheltered, The Lacuna and now this.  Sadly, I really don't think I can bring myself to read any more Kingsolver unprompted.  2/6 stars.

Edited by willoyd

10 hours ago, willoyd said:

I'd never tried John Wyndham until a year or so ago, and have read both Day of the Triffids and Midwich Cuckoos since then.  Do agree about it feeling a little dated, but almost surprised myself as to how much I enjoyed both books. 

I've always meant to read more of his. I've got a collection that includes all his major works, so no excuse.

Finished August Is A Wicked Month by Edna O'Brien.  More a novella than a full blown novel (where does the boundary lie?), my first experience of this writer.  It felt very much of its time (late 60s, early 70s), banned in Ireland when it came out for its sexual explicitness, positively tame by today's standards.  An intriguing read, although one where, not untypical of this time, there's a distance between the reader and both author and characters that is never closed, even though the quality of writing demanded close reading. Definitely want to read more of her writing though. 3 stars out of 6, but compulsive.

Re-reading Nightshade by E S Thomson, Jem Flockhart 5. I don't remember reading it at all and I do have it listed as read. Jem Flockhart 6 isn't out until October this year and it's been two years since I last read about Jem Flockhart and have been missing the series. I intend to intersperse this with a factual book about the sea, Sea Fever by Meg Clothier and her brother Chris Clothier, for the group read.

I just started "The Wind Knows My Name" by Isabel Allende. Beginning of book takes place in Vienna as World War II is starting. I am finding that the book describes 3 or 4 different stories and I am anxious how they tie together at the end. Allende is an Author that I enjoy.

Edited by muggle not

Have abandoned By Ash, Oak and Thorn, Melissa Harrison temporarily and taken up The Ladies of Grace Adieu by Susanna Clarke. Sea Fever is fascinating and it also contains poetry and lines from other publications, I'm learning loads and really enjoying it.

Edited by lunababymoonchild
spelling mistake

Finished reading The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born by Ayi Kwei Armah: my book for Ghana around the world.  Moved on to The Restless Republic by Anna Keay, a history of the English Commonwealth in the 1600s.  Very readable so far!

Finished Anna Keay's The Restless Republic, an account of the decade or so interregnum between the execution of Charles I and the Restoration.  Illuminating, not least because the detail is so often passed over, and engaging, focusing on key individuals to tell the story. 5 stars.

Moving on to Amy-Jane Beer's The Flow, a book group choice for this month (and on my TBR shelf).

Edited by willoyd

I’m trying to work through some of my physical TBR at the moment so I’m just about to start The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I’m hoping it will offer me some respite from the studying I’m having to do at the moment. It feels like being back at the training college again. 

• Like 1

Finished Minty Alley by CLR James, my book for Trinidad and Tobago in my Reading The World project.  The first book by a black Caribbean author published in England.  Very modern feel, in spite of being written in 1936. 5 stars: very good. Now moved on to another book in the Black Britain collection from Penguin (and curated by Bernardine Evaristo): Incomparable World by SI Martin - historical fiction set in late 18th century London, and focused on a group of black ex-slaves, ex-soldiers who fought on the British side in the American War of Independence. Already about halfway through - a gripping read.

Edited by willoyd

Finished Incomparable World - a good, lively read if not quite fulfilling early promise plot-wise. Character and setting did a lot to make up though!

Then on to a complete contrast: See You In September by Joanne Teague. Family travelling round Europe on a once in a lifetime trip. Started off well, but once on travels became rather repetitive and lacking in any real insight or reason to read unless you knew the family. "And then we did this....". An account, straight and simple, and I didn't get beyond half way. 2 stars.

Now reading Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston, as part of my American tour - book for Florida.

Edited by willoyd