Your Book Activity 2023

I finished two books yesterday. The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris which I thought was superb, and Titan Sinking by James Dixon which was a good read but nothing special.

I've come down with flu so it will likely be a few days until I get round to typing up my thoughts.

Finished Captain Hazard's Game by David Fairer.  Excellent historical adventure/crime read for book group, set in the early years of the 18th century.  Cracking read, highly immersive, and unanimously acclaimed by the group.  The third in a trilogy (although stands alone quite comfortably according to those coming to this first).  A full 6/6 for the series, which got better with each book.

Followed by Beryl Bainbridge's According to Queeney, read as a follow-up to John Wain's biography of Samuel Johnson, and reading Johnson's own Rasselas.  Given the subject material and the writer, I was surprised to be rather underwhelmed. Superb character studies, but found it dragging as a narrative, and needed to work to finish it off.  3/6.

Completed Jonathan Smith's Summer in February, historical fiction based around the triangular relationship between Alfred Munnings, Gilbert Evans and Florence Carter-Davies, all involved with the pre-WW1 artists of Newlyn. Really engaging read, fascinating characterisation. Dealing with events that are not recorded, so one man's interpretation, and not everybody agrees (surprise, surprise)! Makes for great fiction reading though. 4 stars out of 6.

Hello people!

I'm new, so here we go.... so far this year I have read:

Magician by Raymond E. Feist.

The End of Men by Hanna Rosin

Bad Men by David Buss

Jasmine Nights by S.P. Somtow

Permanent Record by Edward Snowden

I'm currently reading The Coddling Of The American Mind by Jonathan Haidt, and I'm about to choose a fiction title too... I usually have one fiction and one non-fiction book on the go at any one time.  I'm probably going to read Louis de Berniere's South American Trilogy again - Haven' touched that in over 20 years, so The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts will probably be added to my kindle later tonight!

1 hour ago, cringepop_offline said:

Finished Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand in January and almost done with The Santaroga Barrier by Frank Herbert.

Wouldn't mind hearing what you thought of Atlas Shrugged, CP-O, if you can be bothered writing a review.

Edited by lunababymoonchild
Dodgy typing

12 hours ago, Brian. said:

I read 13 books in January

13!?!? I'm not surprised you needed a little break in February :lol:

I'm currently reading The Hidden People by Alison Littlewood. It has been on my shelf for years - I bought it as part of the 3 book deal they always have in The Works. I felt like something with a little bit of folklore after reading one of @Books do furnish a room's reviews and decided it was finally time to try it!

10 hours ago, Hayley said:

13!?!? I'm not surprised you needed a little break in February :lol:

Yeah, I'm not sure what got into me. Sometimes I just devour books and other times I struggle to get through more than a few pages and nothing sticks.

I just started reading Interworld by Neil Gaiman and Michael Reaves. It is a YA book about a boy that travels between worlds. At least I think that is what the book is about as I am only 30 some pages into it. Regardless, I like almost everything Gaiman writes.

Hi Amelia,

Our reading seems pretty similar though I have to admit not to getting on with Matt Haig, especially The Midnight Library but The Vanishing Half was definitely among the top books I read last year. My non-fiction reads lean heavily towards biography and history though Sapiens is in my tbr pile.

• Like 1

I'm an avid reader/bookworm and I read a couple old EU Star Wars novels in the past few months and these last few days I've been reading a couple novels taking place in this saga. I'm currently reading "Star Wars, Jedi quest: Path to truth (Anakin's story between episode I and II)", by Jude Watson. It is the introductory novel to the "Jedi quest" series by the same author. But I don't have access to the rest of the series, because there isn't a single copy of the 10 books in the Montreal Public Library Network. But from what I've seen "Path to truth" can be read as a standalone, which is why I put a copy on hold. I'm also reading "Choices of one" by Timothy Zahn (this one is from my personal bookshelf).

After that I plan to read the following EU Star Wars novels (and these are all from my personal bookshelf); "Heir to the Empire", "Dark force rising", "The last command", Specter of the past", "Vision of the future", and "Survivor's quest", all of them by author Timothy Zahn. After reading this author's masterpiece entitled "Outbound flight" (this one is a bit start to slow, but from chapter 5 and onward, it's a thrilling and amazing masterpiece), I decided to buy all the old EU Thrawn novels and now I have all eight of them on my personal bookshelf ("Outbound flight", "Choices of one", "Heir to the Empire", "Dark force rising", "The last command", Specter of the past", "Vision of the future", and "Survivor's quest"). I also plan to read those other old EU Star Wars novels (these too are all from my personal bookshelf); "Old Republic: Revan" by Drew Karpyshyn, "Old Republic: Deceived" by Paul S. Kemp, and "Fatal alliance", by Sean Williams. I also plan to read the Medstar duology by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry (those two are old EU Star Wars novels). And I plan to read the "Jedi apprentice" series by Jude Watson (a series in 20 volumes). On my reading list in the same saga there's also; "Darth Maul: Shadow hunter" by Michael Reaves which I plan to buy soon, and this other book entitled "Crucible" by Troy Denning that I will borrow from a public library.

So on my reading list there's like 34 old EU Star Wars novels. There are other books on my reading list too, like at least 90 books on my reading list, but 1/3 of my reading list is old EU Star Wars novels.

Just to be clear, I only read old EU Star Wars novels (I want nothing at all to do with the super lame new "canon"/new EU, and by the way even JJ Abrams, Jon Favreau, the cast/actors and George Lucas themselves HATE the new "canon"/new EU and Mark Hamill and George Lucas spoke out/warned people against it many times. Mark Hamill also said that that the prequel trilogy, episode 1-3, is more original than the lame Disney sequel trilogy episode 7-9. But also the new "canon"/new EU is so unpopular that 98% of the fanbase HATES it and told Disney and Kennedy that they don't get to make the old EU no longer canon overnight for no damn reason and erase over 40 years of Star Wars history without getting a ton of pushback and backlash for it. Also George Lucas was very much pro old EU and was very invested in and involved in the old EU especially with the novel "Darth Plagueis by James Luceno. George Lucas also told Disney that they should have used old EU material to make movies and TV shows instead of making that horrid new "canon" that destroyed the series. I can back up all of those claims I made claims with EVIDENCE BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT so you can HEAR IT FOR YOURSELVES, all you gotta do is check out the second link in the "about me" section of my profile, and while you're at it check out the first link there too. I want nothing at all to do with the super lame new "canon"/new EU and I support the old EU movement because the old EU is the original canon/lore and the better canon and THE BEST OF Star Wars).