Film adaptation of books

Hello all! I'm having a films marathon with group of friends soon, but unfortunately I'm not the biggest films enthusiast. Everyone is supposed to bring one film title to share so we could all watch it together. I have no idea what to watch with them, but since I am a huge books lover I thought we might watch a film that is a book adaptation. So here's my question: do you have any favourite film adaptation? or what is the best film adaptation of a book in your opinion? I'm obviously going to read it first anyway.

On 10/22/2022 at 1:23 PM, nikolah said:

Hello all! I'm having a films marathon with group of friends soon, but unfortunately I'm not the biggest films enthusiast. Everyone is supposed to bring one film title to share so we could all watch it together. I have no idea what to watch with them, but since I am a huge books lover I thought we might watch a film that is a book adaptation. So here's my question: do you have any favourite film adaptation? or what is the best film adaptation of a book in your opinion? I'm obviously going to read it first anyway.

The Lord of the Rings movies are generally well respected and do a pretty good job of living up to the books. My personal favourite adaptation which comes to mind is The Godfather. The book is great but the movie(s) manage to be even better in my opinion.

On 10/22/2022 at 1:23 PM, nikolah said:

Are there any specific genres you are interested in, or that would be suitable for your marathon?

I recently read the excellent 'Alone in Berlin' and have just discovered there was a film version made in 2017 (completely unknown to me). I haven't seen it but the cast suggest something reasonably good.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an excellent idea for a thread, even after @nikolah has had his/her film evening (and would be interested to hear what films were watched!).

I'd third the Lord of the Rings films.  I loved the books (read them twice now), and enjoyed the films almost as much - they really were a good interpretation.

I'd also agree with @France about The Day of the Jackal - a really good, edge of the seat, rendering of one of the rare thrillers that completely grabbed me.

Other film adaptations I've particularly enjoyed have included the following.  I've only included those where I've read the book AND seen the film, and really enjoyed both.  I've not included any children's books/films.  They're not necessarily the closest interpretations, just those which I think reflect or compliment the book.

Sense and Sensibility (Ang Lee's version)

Emma (Autumn de Wilde's version)

A Month In The Country

A Very Long Engagement

The Hours

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (starring Gary Oldman)

Lawrence of Arabia (apparently based on The Seven Pillars of Wisdom - I wasn't aware of this either reading book or seeing film, but it's brilliant!).

Hidden Figures

All The President's Men

MASH

The Big Sleep

The Leopard

Apollo 13 (based on Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13)

Master and Commander (actually based on two other books in Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin sequence)

One of my favourite books is To Kill A Mockingbird.  I've never got around to seeing the film, but I've never known anybody who hasn't enjoyed it!

(I think I must be one of the only people on the planet who really hated Alone In Berlin - the book I mean as haven't seen the film!).

Edited by willoyd

I agree re the Lord of the Rings films, also the Ang Lee version of Sense and Sensibility, and I'm not a massive Austen fan but this was a great adaptation and stayed true to the book.  TKAM is also an excellent film, and from what I remember also stays close to the book.  I enjoyed Master and Commander but haven't read the books it's based on, it's a shame they didn't make any films.

I thought The English Patient was a good film too, and made an incomprehensible book  (to me it was, and I read it after seeing the film) into a watchable movie.  Likewise The French Lieutenant's Woman - haven't read the book but enjoyed the film, more so on a second viewing.

On a lighter note, and for pure entertainment, the film version of Jurassic Park (the first film) was also pretty good.

4 hours ago, Raven said:

The BBC version, with Alec Guinness, is better!

Agreed, but it's not a film! Go down that route, and there a whole new game - starting with, for me, Bleak House and the Jennifer Ehle P&P, which knocks socks off anything else I've seen on that front, excluding the swimming scene which was unnecessary IMO (she's very good in another excellent TV adaptation too, The Camomile Lawn).  Then there's I Claudius, Brideshead Revisited, War and Peace, (the older one!), Band of Brothers......and so on  and so on!

Edited by willoyd

On 11/4/2022 at 8:46 PM, Madeleine said:

I thought The English Patient was a good film too, and made an incomprehensible book  (to me it was, and I read it after seeing the film) into a watchable movie.  Likewise The French Lieutenant's Woman - haven't read the book but enjoyed the film, more so on a second viewing.

I echo you thoughts on the film The English Patient, but for some reason have not got around to the book..

15 hours ago, KEV67 said:

Aren't a great number of films adaptions of books?

This is an interesting point so I looked it up and yeah, depending on the year, the percentages are really high! 

‘The percentage of books adapted for film vary each year, sometimes substantially, as trends in popular culture must be followed. For example, in 2005 66% of films released were based on books, this then dropped significantly to 28% in 2011 and then rose to 65% in 2015.’ (From https://medium.com/publishing-in-the-digital-age/book-to-film-adaptations-caec7c65e96a )

That doesn’t mean they’re all good though 😁

I love Merchant Ivory's production of E.M. Forster's books Howard's End and A Room With a View. 

And although not a film, the TV series of R.F. Delderfield's A Horseman Riding By, is also excellent. 

I've re-read and re-watched all the books and films several times.

2 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

My favourite film. My family are always pleased when I get this out to watch it because it keeps me quiet for 3 hours! The book was close to the film - if I remember clearly - and, curiously, not as entertaining

Mmm, I wouldn't agree about the film being more entertaining than the book, I love both but in different ways and see them almost as separate entities which share a lot in common.